Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Applying tie break in PKs ?
tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Lets first explain what does it mean for the fewof us who doesn't know Tennis tie break rules.

Team A
Team B

If A is starting to shoot :
A-B
B-A
A-B...
Until a team does the break after 5 shots or more.

FIFA will experience it in Atm in women football, because they found tha statistically the team that starts shooting has more chance to win and less pressure ( arguably )
Statisticiens do not share this point as they consider mathematically both teams to have same mathematical chances but History proved that the first team to shoot has 55% to go through and the second 45%
( we consider that the number of PKs shoot outs based on is high enough that we consider teams shooting abilities, fans impact or teams form irrelevant )

Therefore with a team shooting once and then every team shooting twice in a row shoot twice so everyone could have match points in the hand of their keeper. Because in the actual shoot outs when you score first in the last PKs, your keeper has the game on his hands and the rival has everything to loose.

Im personally not against the idea, i think from my perspective you figured it out but I'd love to discuss it or hear people who prefer keeping actual format...

I would also love to put PKs in the PK box line. 10 meters far to make it as complicated to score as to save, to give good shooters and good keepers more chances to impact the outcome and less luck intervention. Also fact that it will be harder to score would make some excitement in scoring them.
During the game, it will depend on where on the box you get fouled to shoot the Pk, a far foul near the corner just inside the box do not have same importance than one preventing a goal 2 meters near the goal line. So having 2 shooting positions can't really be shocking imo And would prevent technical players from intentionally looking for the contact. But again that's another topic...

Comments
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

@Tiki Seem like it doesn't really matter that much but hey, why not, could actually make penality shoot-out more exciting (wich would be pretty hard). So, I'm not against but I don't really think its a useful change myself. Would rather have Fifa focussing on bringing up video replay at the top level of football as soon as possible.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

There's an advantage any way you swing it. When I took debate, the speeches went GOV-OPP-GOV-OPP-OPP-GOV. Yeah, one both starts and finishes (pretty strong advantage in academic debate), but the two back-to-back speeches pound the gov so much the debate is over before a word of the last speech is said.

I personally see no reason to change the order of PKs, because any additional pressure felt is entirely statistically irrelevant. Whichever team misses first loses like 90+% of the time in soccer shootouts, and almost never does anyone miss back-to-back. The way I feel about PKs is actually summed up quite well by the Lyon-Besiktas shootout a few weeks ago: 12 perfect pens, 3 misses in a row, and then the clincher.

Pressure is what you make of it. Whomever has to take a deciding PK will inevitably feel more pressure, and changing the order won't change that.

As for your additional observations about PK's, I have always felt that if the scenario that warranted the foul was NOT an obvious goal scoring opportunity, then the wronged team should not be allowed to have a scoring opportunity that is converted nearly 80% of the time. Considering so many games are decided by these decisions, I think the current rules in place for warranting PKs are retarded at best, and would welcome nearly any change to them.

bluezz 7 years ago
Chelsea 14 724

ffs leave it as it is

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

This will (probably) be used during this U17 Euro in Croatia in knockouts obviously. Could turn out to be good. It looks and sounds fair tbh but it doesn't mean it will be fairer than the current system.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

As interesting as it sounds, and as much as I hate loosing in PK shootout, I prefer the old way. Here is why:

• it's heart breaking.
  • The better does not always win.

That makes football beautiful! The lesser team has as much chance as the stronger teams (especially those with money!!!)

OnceABlueAlwaysABlue 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 5 211

No need to change it!!! There's lots more important things to worry about in football at the moment!