{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Arsenal FC
amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

What are your opinions on Arsenal?

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

A very good team that consistently falls just short of great.

If I had to summarize it in a sentence, that's what I would go with. I could go into this large exposition, but really, that's all it is.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Well, I've always thought a lot INSIDE the club needs changing. This includes things like:

psychologist
Fitness coach
Board
Manager

We have capability, but ever since the days David Dein left we just crumbled.

And to those who say it's money, just look at Leicester

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I'm not sure Leicester is a good model to build a team around and assume success. A better way to outline the failure of money to improve a team would be the results in the Milans, United, Monaco, and Valencia.

From my own observations, a franchise generally has a culture that is adhered to by everyone within the club that has a specific focus. As we can see with United "winning" is not a good enough mission statement. At Arsenal, that begins and ends with Wenger. If you get rid of Arsenal, you have to rebrand the whole club, not just the system and manager. Remember, when Wenger first arrived in England, he changed the way the game was played there, not only on the field but off of it as well. A new manager, especially a foreign one, changes all that. And don't make the mistake of thinking that a domestic manager will save you either. Moyes was a good lesson that should have been learned by teams other than United.

I look to the rest of the world and see that clubs tend to have easy managerial transitions when they appoint someone from within the club itself. We have seen Barca do this with Pep and Enrique. Real did it with Zidane. I was a little disappointed that United did not explore the option of Warren Joyce. (Although if you'd had me pick before the season, I would've reluctantly taken Mourinho over Joyce). Of course, like anything else, it doesn't work 100% of the time (AC Milan).

To be honest, as a United supporter, I am a little envious of Arsenal at the moment. The stability present there is miles from the calamitous situations found at other clubs in transition (United, Milans, etc). While Chelsea has done very well with Conte, Chelsea is only 3 points ahead of Arsenal right now, and look at the season they had to go through last year to get there. I'm not convinced that Chelsea won't have a losing streak later in the season - nearly every team does. United and City are just doing it early. Wankers.

I'm not certain if the quote "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" applies to Wenger. I think that straight-up dominating the EPL is not realistic at the moment the way you see Bayern/Juventus/Real/Barca do it. Competing is all you can ask for imo, and Wenger offers that.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I happen to be on the other end of the spectrum from @SunFlash. Arsenal have always been frustrating to watch. On certain occasions, they can play beautiful football. On other occasions, they can be absolutely atrocious. And it's okay to have poor performances from time to time, but Arsenal has it much too often. Moreover, Wenger is a tactically stubborn manager - he likes to stick to almost the same tactics for every game. Since finishing as runners-up in 2005, this is Arsenal's record against the top teams.

Chelsea
5-5-18

United
6-6-15

Liverpool
12-11-5

City (since 2009-10)
5-6-6

... and the L'pool record isn't even that impressive when you consider that L'pool were mediocre for quite some time during the time frame of my statistics. But look at their records against Man United and Chelsea, who were almost perfect examples of consistency in the EPL during the past 10 seasons (barring post SAF and Mourinho's implosion). They beat Chelsea five times out of 28. They beat United six times out of 27. They don't have a positive record against City either. That's absolutely atrocious.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Sunflash. well my comment did not post due to the limit

Leicester has very good reputation. Yes they collapsed, but their games show passion. I heard Valencia is in a lot of debt, so had to sell their best players. Monaco isn't too bad. United's philosophy has just crumbled. Milan didn't plan ahead.

I agree with the domestic manager part, which can sometimes not be the answer. Then again, not a lot of people (me included) did not know Wenger before he came to Arsenal. Same with Pochettino. We can take the gamble, or employ someone like Henry. R.Madrid have employed Zidane, A.Madrid have employed Simeone. Barca have employed Enrique.

I disagree with the part where you say Arsenal starts with Wenger. Before he came we already had 10 league titles. Where Ferguson has won 13 himself.

We compete, but in the last 10 years we should of won the league four times

2007-08
2010-11
2013-14
2015-16

I am fearful, that we will fail to reach top 4. We already don't perform, especially in the league.

Also, what annoys me the most is why where the guys in the invincibility given better contracts. For the guys that were 28+ the highest we offered was 18 months. It's just look at the huge level drop. I can understand we were in debt for the Emirates, but the last 5 years in my opinion have just been poor.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

What do you mean you "should have won the league" four times? The team that wins the league ultimately deserves it. It isn't a one-match incident - it's a competition won throughout the course of 38 games.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

The moment Wenger will leave and we crumble down, fans will want him back. Can you even imagine any other Premier League club building stadium in the same situation as Arsenal was? We get into UCL which was target to maintain enough money. We spend 9 millions net in 10 years and got into Champions League. Then you see teams who can spend 100M in one window and don't get there. The more I look backwards, the more I understand.

Abo_Zogom 7 years ago Edited
Arsenal 0 240

I think they need two or three quality players and they can win the league.
@quikzyyy. I don't fully agree with you. They have the new stadium for years now but why don't compete harder in CL or even win the PL??

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I think they need two or three quality players and they can win the league.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Late reply, but

Dynastian, when I said 'should have won the league four times' I meant that in the period of 38 games we played well but ultimately crumbled, and constantly seeing this annoys me a lot.

Quikzyyy, from 2006 to 2011 we were in debt and I totally understand the situation. However, right now we are not in debt, and there is no excuse for Wenger to just keep delaying the truth. This only happened so recently with Cazorla. He himself said it would take 2 to 3 weeks. However, after one month and a half, the medical team have said that he will undergo an ankle operation which will keep him out for three months. In the 2015-16 transfer window, Wenger said the owners are supporting him. He then said after the transfer window that the team is strong to win the league. However, prior to the Watford game in the FA cup, Stan said he 'did not buy Arsenal to win', so it's not just Wenger

Abo_Zogom, I agree with what you say, I think a long term replacement for Santi, and LB might be needed in January, and probably a RM, but I will give Walcott a chance which he has deserved

OnceABlueAlwaysABlue 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 5 211

Potential to be one of the best but need a change in manager and a full squad reshuffle!!!
And also stop aiming for 4th place finishes each season!!
Otherwise they are a very boring team with only Ozil and Sanchez who can provide flair and excitement!!

amir_keal 7 years ago Edited

I don't think the full squad needs changing. A lot does, but not all.

We relistically could have got a minimum of 89 points. Treat every game like a must win game,and fight for the team.

EDIT: To reply below

No that's not what I meant. Rather than saying I don't know he himself said 2 to 3 weeks. And I don't think a stadium worth 390 million would take 14 years. We are out of debt, just search it up. I really hope Arsenal gets bought or taken over by Usmanov. Like Sunflash said, we can be very good, but we always screw up.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I don't think the full squad needs changing. A lot does, but not all.

We relistically could have got a minimum of 89 points. Treat every game like a must win game,and fight for the team.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Everyone knows that Kreonke got Arsenal just for business, that's nothing new, look at other teams he owns like Colorado Avalanche..
From where you got that we are not in debt? I doubt that we have paid all loans and stadium itself, because from what I know it debt is set to be paid in 14 years.
And how is Wenger at fault for Cazorla injury? If the medical team says that he will be back in 3 weeks and then they decide that he needs operation it's totally up to them. Wenger has nothing to do with this.

Abo_Zogom 7 years ago
Arsenal 0 240

@quikzyyy. I don't think you get the point. Whey don't they say what you just mentioned? What frustrate the fans is Wenger. He keeps saying I don't need to add players to my team, there are no good players in the market .... etc. If the fans did not chant against him this season, you would not see the new players who joined.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Very true. We as a stakeholder spoke up. However, I also think we at home at too vocal at times.

KaKa_CS 7 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 1 910

Wenger is not going to spend and Sanchez and Ozil both can't take it anymore. Poor management in this team. I was shocked to know that they did not give Ozil number 10 since Wilshear has it. Ozil is requesting number 10 along with other demands in order to renew which I wish he don't.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@Aboo_Zogom Because it would have been disgraceful towards fans. When the club won't give him the funds, he can't spend them. Everyone knows how the club was trying to save every penny in Mustafi transfer, and that's it. Do you really think Wenger is saying how much to bid for the player?

@Kaka_Cs We all know your love towards Arsenal :))

Abo_Zogom 7 years ago
Arsenal 0 240

@quikzyyy. So you don't blame Wenger? I don't agree. How about his choices of the players on the market? oops.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

For what choices? If club isn't wiling to pay the money for the player, it's not his fault.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Quikzyyy- Wenger himself comes out and says the club are backing, and then you get the jokers like Gazidas ( who is nice to chat to though), I just don't feel the guy has good football knowledge, and he likes to 'buy low sell high'. That;s due to Kronke

Kaka_CS- Well, if Sanchez does leave, I blame Wenger, because I knew as soon as the contract was only 4 years I thought it would haunt us, and I still think it will

Ozil better not leave. I'm hearing things like he wants to go to Madrid, City Fenerbahce. I doubt Ozil will be the same man IF he leaves.

Back to Quikzyyy- I mean I can't always believe Wenger. Yes he was a great manager, but I don't believe in him any longer. Even in the EFL cup, it seemed like he just didn't care. Against Ludogorets, he said Bellerin got injured, and I never heard that crap. Jenko was terrible that match.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Jenko is terrible yes, I expected much more from him, even Debuchy looked better. With EFL cup, no one really cares about that. Would you risk Alexis getting injured because of it?
I'm actually happy that we are out, no point of risking players injury in this cup.