Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Arsenal - the injury curse ... has continued
tuan_jinn 10 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

A study conducted by physioroom.com revealed that Arsenal's players spent more time on the sidelines last season (2013-2014) than any other team's players.

Arsenal has been known to have beautiful attacking football but always choked at the end of each season, largely due to INJURIES of key players. Last year again they have the biggest choke when Ramsey was sidelined and the trophy went of of their hand.

After the world cup, the American physio Colin Lewin (former German physio) joined Arsenal to fix this problem, but till now, the problem yet occurred again. Mathieu Debuchy is the latest one who is in the list, this might just be an accident, but a curse or not, Arsenal injury problem is the biggest enemy that they have been facing. Now only Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker and Kieran Gibbs are fit senior defenders.

Comments
quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Well, that injury was really unlucky, he missed the ball and that was it... I think that was turning point of the game, we looked solid before this happend.

CroatiaFan123 10 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Vs. Borussia Dortmund we have smaller injury list! Finally! :D

samuel999 10 years ago
Arsenal, France 6 185

Debuchy wasnt a fitness injury it was an accidental injury because he stopped his foot on the grass and his ankle twisted or something. also you havnt seen dortmunds injury list. their whole squad was practically out last season and they still battered us without Gundogan, Reus, Blaszczykowski,pizczek, Hummels

tiki_taka 10 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Very unlucky Arsenal.

tuan_jinn 10 years ago Edited

28th Sep, 2014.
It has happened AGAIN.

The CURSE has again taken its toll on the poor Gunners, last weekend. In the Derby versus the Spur, 3 key players were injured. Unbelievable. The latest news reports:

• Aaron Ramsey (probably out for a month)
  • Mikel Arteta.
  • Jack Wilshere (shorter, but he might miss the next CL game).

Arteta might not be important as he dropped form massively since last year, but the other two might be crucial.

I dont know if Wenger should be responsible for this along with the physio and the doctor, but if they dont do anything about this again soon, Arsenal will end up with nothing this year.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

It has happened AGAIN.

The CURSE has again taken its toll on the poor Gunners, last weekend. In the Derby versus the Spur, 3 key players were injured. Unbelievable. The latest news reports:

• Mikel Arteta.

Arteta might not be important as he dropped form massively since last year, but the other two might be crucial.

I dont know if Wenger should be responsible for this along with the physio and the doctor, but if they dont do anything about this again soon, Arsenal will end up with nothing this year.

28th Sep, 2014.
It has happened AGAIN.

• Mikel Arteta.

decentK 10 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

I was speechless again, still don't really know what to say. Only thing I'm sure is that it's Wenger's fault, as much as I like him. One year full of injuries may be coincidence, but 5+ years this shit isn't. Can't even understand how Walcott have been out for 9 months, when he was supposed to play after max 7 months.

Wilshere's injury (this time) I atleast understand, that shit happens to me personally a lot. I just don't understand how he continued the game. He'll be out 1-2 weeks, atleast what I was.

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Arsenal's injury problems are down to incompetent training methods, and tantamount to ''self-destruction'', claims Raymond Verheijen

"Clearly something is going wrong. If you look at the law of the big numbers, something in the last ten years is going wrong. It’s clearly incompetence but it’s unconscious incompetence. The only way you can improve is if it’s conscious incompetence, so you’re aware of it.

"Then you can act. If you are in denial, you are blaming the outside world for the injuries and not looking in the mirror then you will stay incompetent.

"If it happens occasionally then this is a gut feeling. If it happens regularly, over 10-12 years, then coincidence is out of the question."

Fifty-year-old Verheijen has worked with many leading players during his career, and one Premier League star has recently contracted him on a private basis to work on his fitness. But for many, he claims, the damage is done before the season even starts.

He added: "The problem is with the way they train in general, but especially in pre-season.

"Over the years I’ve spoken with many Arsenal players and in certain periods of pre-seasons, they are trained as if they are in the Marines, rather than playing in the Premier League."

This is not necessarily a bad thing, according to Verheijen, as it can quickly get players back up to speed as well as providing a boost in the near future. But in preparing for a possible 60-game season the foundations must be laid with the whole campaign in mind.

"When you [train like a marine], first of all you develop short-term fitness. If you do it gradually then you’ll build-up long-term fitness for nine-10 months.

"If you get fit really quickly then you develop shorter-term fitness that only last around 3-4 months.

"This is the traditional way of training, that players are hammered in preseason, and this is obviously an issue at Arsenal but they are not alone - our friends in Manchester are the same ."

Having previously described David Moyes as a "dinosaur" for his training methods, the outspoken Verheijen is not afraid of criticising top clubs where they are failing their players.

And with poor conditioning to blame for the majority of injuries, the Dutch coach explains why Arsenal's pre-season routine is seeing the queue for the treatment room grow longer.

"By training so much in a short period of time you accumulate fatigue.

"When you get fatigue your nervous system becomes slower and that affects your coordination and the control over your body while you’re doing maximum explosive activities .

" Look what happened with Theo Walcott , he was out for a long period. They brought him back really well [in November]; he played 25 minutes, then 25 minutes then 45 minutes - so phase 1 of that rehab is building up match fitness - they gradually built up the game minutes and they did that really well.

"But Arsenal play two games a week, not one. This has nothing to do with match fitness but that you only have three days to recover not six days and you don’t have the recovery time.

"They played Theo five times in 16 days (90 mins) so instead of edging him in, they played him 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, so you accumulate fatigue, your nervous system becomes slower and fatigue is one of the biggest reasons for ACL injuries.

"ACL injuries often happen without the fault of an opponent, often it happens with an innocent movement you’ve made a million times in your career. If he plays five times in 16 days, the nervous system becomes slower and his muscles around his knee are slower to contract, destabilising the knee.

"If the signal arrives a fraction of a second late then you are starting the movement with an unprotected knee, so you get injured. it’s one of the main reasons why ACL injuries happen, the signal gets to the knee too slowly and the ligament ruptures or snaps."

Despite having a huge amount of respect for Wenger and his foresight with regards to Financial Fair Play (FFP), Verheijen argues that the Frenchman's methods have become somewhat outdated.

"When Arsene Wenger came to Britain in them mid-90s his training methods were revolutionary. The fact that his training methods were seen as revolutionary say something about him, but more about the training methods in England at the time. He was a forward-thinking coach, but the problem with revolutionary people is that they’re only revolutionary once in their life, so twenty years on they become average. And then they become prehistoric.

"Truly revolutionary coaches keep changing and they keep the edge. Others do it once and then they keep things the same, they lose their edge.

"From another perspective, he deserves a lot of credit. I have al to of respect for Wenger if you look at how he dealt with the finances of the club. He was one of the few managers who implemented FFP before there was FFP. He is an idealist and I admire that in him. From an overall perspective, he deserves a lot of credit.

"I said two or three years ago that because of this policy the club was at a disadvantage because of this lack of spending, but Arsene Wenger was being proactive and saw FFP would arrive. Now it is here, Arsenal are ready for it and that’s why I’m not surprised that they’re doing well - second in the league and in the semis of the fa cup - it’s a feeling I had a few years ago.

"While everyone else is cutting costs, Arsenal are ready for it and they have momentum. Within that context, the training methods could destroy this golden opportunity for them. It’s self-destruction."

I totally agree with him.

man_utd 10 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

Ramsey's out for six weeks.
But the last time he was out for six weeks turned into 3 months...

manchesterutI 10 years ago
Real Madrid, England 23 388

In a previous thread, I called Willshere getting injured on the 5th week of the season :). To make my prediction perfect, Walcott has to get or be injured on the 15th week and Wenger should retire XD. Maybe Arsenal should have resigned Fabregas after all.

decentK 10 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

@alex thx for sharing, that's superb. Makes me sad though that Wenger doesn't acknowledge pretty basic things.

CroatiaFan123 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

I can't believe... that's crap. Sorry...Go to preview of our game and see that's tooooooooooo big injury list...

• History

I can't believe...that's crap.Sorry...Go to preview of our game and see that's tooooooooooo big injury list...

tiki_taka 10 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

That was interesting Alex.

tuan_jinn 10 years ago

Interesting read Alex, compeletely agree with the author, Wenger was revolutionary, but outdated. He needs to adapt, and with his abilities adaption wouldn't be a problem, he's just too stubborn sometimes

Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Wait a little... This time injuries help us... Our players could play on their real positions!

• History

Wait a little...This time injuries help us...Our players could play on their real positions!

quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

And here goes another one: Mesut Ozil out for up to 12 weeks with knee injury

tuan_jinn 10 years ago

what? Serious? omg

CroatiaFan123 10 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

@quikzyyy Whaaaaat!?!?!?

quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Laurent Koscielny released from international duty for France because of an Achilles injury.

quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I heard that Arsenal made a new logo.

Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

^ And Koscielny? Anyway this is funny logo :D

• History

^And Koscielny? Anyway this is funny logo :D ¤×÷