Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Barcelona Transfer News: Everton Reportedly Beat Manchester United to Yerry Mina
tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Yerry Mina could swap Barcelona for Everton, despite being strongly linked with Manchester United recently. A report from Sport (h/t TalkSport's Michael Benson) has detailed how the Toffees have agreed a deal worth £28.5 million (€32 million) to sign the Colombia international centre-back.

Mina is expected to move to Goodison Park on a five-year contract. This follows Ignasi Oliva Gispert of Goal reporting both Everton and United had gone cold on the idea of signing the 23-year-old.

United had been credited with coming to terms with Mina, per Mundo Deportivo (h/t Duncan Wright of The Sun). Wright noted Barca wanted £35 million for the defender signed from Palmeiras for just £10 million back in January.

However, The Sun's Alan Nixon reported United's deal broke down when Mina's adviser, Felipe Russo, asked for extra payments as part of the fee. United boss Jose Mourinho was said to be left facing a "last-gasp transfer window scramble" to bolster his defence before the business ends on Thursday.

The Toffees may have spared themselves a similar scenario if they have indeed won the race for Mina:

It would mean Everton manager Marco Silva has pulled off quite a coup for a young player who impressed during the FIFA World Cup in Russia. Mina helped Los Cafeteros reach the round of 16 by forming an intimidating defensive partnership alongside Tottenham Hotspur centre-back Davinson Sanchez.

He was formidable on the deck and dominant in the air at both ends of the pitch:

enter image description here

It was a different story at club level, where Mina struggled to convince Barca of his worth. He made just five appearances in La Liga, including four starts.

While he may not have made the grade in the Spanish top flight, Mina will answer a need for Everton, even if some thought the chances for a deal had gone.

Silva's task of retooling the Toffees defence is clear after the Merseyside club conceded 58 goals in the Premier League last season. Familiar issues at the back have irked Silva this preseason, particularly during Saturday's 3-2 defeat to Valencia:

Mina can add some much-needed pace to the Everton back four and help a player like Michael Keane recover from a troubled debut season at Goodison Park.

As for Barca, manager Ernesto Valverde is obviously content with Gerard Pique, Samuel Umtiti and Thomas Vermaelen as his primary options at centre-back. Considering the group conceded the second-fewest goals in La Liga last season, it's hardly a gamble for Valverde to let a little-used defender go.

from B/R.

Everton just bought 3 Barça players : Deulofeu, Mina and Digne.

I would have loved 10 mil more not that im greedy but CB's are very rare on the market and clubs looking for them are many... I still think its the best option since we signed Lenglet and since Mina is too slow for La Liga style of play.. he would probably deliver in PL. anyway Good luck.

Comments
iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

If we don't sign someone at the end, guns will be pointed at Lindelof's head for him to deliver. As small as it may have been, he's been impressive during the World cup. Let's pray to Fergie that he delivers this season.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

I think Boateng move should be done at any expense...

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

He will be top 3 CB in the league.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I watch Mina's games in Barcelona, to be honest he did not impress me 1 bit.

I dont know why we wanted him badly though :(

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I think Boateng move should be done at any expense.

I'm glad we stopped pursuing him. He is behind his best + injured a lot.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

I still believe in Boateng, got a difficult season due to injury but he has what it takes to bounce back. mental is key.