Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Bayern Munich in CL
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

So, Bayern Munich is out of the CL again, once again eliminated by a spanish team. However, they are out in the quarter final this time around... And here I thought Ancelotti would do better than Pep, maybe next year. Anyway, do you guys think Bayern might actually be cursed? Or are they simply not good enough? Lack of competition in their own league pherhap? What you think?

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

It's splitting hairs this year. To me it's similar to Juventus getting knocked out by Bayern last year - just a tough draw against an opponent that was luckier on the day, not a semblance of a larger problem.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

2013/14 - lose b'cuz they were fully demolished by Madrid. Completely their fault
2014/15 - lose b'cuz they f.ucked up in the last 20 minutes of the first leg. Fault on Guardiola IMO
2015/16 - lose b'cuz off-side goal from Griezmann
2016/17 - lose b'cuz Casemiro not sent off and off-side goal from Ronaldo

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I still think that they were outplayed in each of the past four years by their Spanish opposition - despite their last two eliminations happening because poor officiating actively changed the scoreline. Madrid (x2), Barcelona, and Atletico all outplayed them over the course of the two legs from what I saw.

I think Bayern's problems are that....

1. Their league is a cake-walk, so they don't get much tough opposition (hence the surprise defeats in Europe and to top Bundesliga teams when Bayern get too cocky or slack off). They are not accustomed to playing at a high level week in and week out like Juventus, the Spanish teams, or [insert English(s) team when they decide to get their sh.it together in Europe] do.
  2. They are a top-heavy team. Their defenders are great individually, but they are not a solid defensive unit like Atletico Madrid or Juventus. They rely on the tackling abilities of Hummels, Lahm, etc. more than an organized defense. Their defense was FAR more impressive under Heynckes. It might have improved under Ancelotti - I don't know because I don't watch their league games properly anymore.
  3. They have an aging squad. I heard somewhere that the average age of the XI they fielded against Madrid was 30, whereas the Bundesliga's average age for XI's is 25. Not sure if true, but isn't hard to imagine with Ribery, Robben, Neuer, Lahm, and Alonso on the pitch. Youngest is Alaba at age 24 (turning 25 soon).
  4. They seem to have lost their hunger. The majority of their squad has already accomplished so much, it seems that they are okay with not winning everything right now. They don't have the drive that Juventus or Monaco or Atletico do. Neither do they have the pressure to perform that Real Madrid does.
Yvan21 7 years ago Edited
0 440

I think the issue with Bayern is that they don't have a Messi or Cristiano or Griezmann in their team who can just have a moment of magic and make something out of nothing. At the end of the day, we've seen how these big games are decided by little things here and there that make a huge difference.

With teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico you get the feeling that even when they're under-performing you can't never count them out. Even if these teams have an off day, they can still get a good result. They grind results out, especially the case with Madrid and Atletico.

With Bayern you get the feeling that they have to be really superior on the field in order to get good results against big oppositions. And when they get outplayed they don't have a response. They don't have that player that's different who can dig them out of trouble.

I also agree to an extent with the points that @Dynastian98 made except the last one. I think that once the players are out on the field and they're playing a Champions League semifinal game against Madrid, Barca, etc the last thing they are thinking about is past trophies they've won. Bayern is a big team in Europe because like Madrid they always have that hunger for success after success. They feed off of that. Everyone at the club knows the importance of the Champions League, and they know that this is "the title" to win. That's the reason why they let Guardiola go, because just reaching semifinals is not good enough for a club like Bayern.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I think the issue with Bayern is that they don't have a Messi or Cristiano or Griezmann in their team that can just have a moment of magic and make something out of nothing. At the end of the day, we've seen how these big games are most of the time decided by little things here and there that make a huge difference.

With teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico you get the feeling that even when they're under-performing you can't never count them out. Even if these teams have an off day, they can still get a good result. They grind results out, especially the case with Madrid and Atletico.

With Bayern you get the feeling that they have to be really superior on the field in order to get good results against big oppositions. And when they get outplayed they don't have a response. They don't have that player that's different who can dig them out of trouble.

I also agree to an extent with the points that @Dynastian98 made except the last one. I think that once the players are out on the field and they're playing a Champions League semifinal game against Madrid, Barca, etc the last thing they are thinking about is past trophies they've won. Bayern is a big team in Europe because like Madrid they always have that hunger for success after success. They feed off of that. Everyone at the club knows the importance of the Champions League, and they know that this is "the title" to win. That's the reason why they let Guardiola go, because just reaching semifinals is not good enough for a club like Bayern.

JozeMourinho 7 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@Dynastian

2015/2016 robbing Juve.

Golazo111 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Not true, try again please. You are too biased to see all possible perspectives of why Bayern lost to Real Madrid.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Not true, try again please.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Agree with all 4 problems @Dynastian stated, combining all these together it certainly won't help the team.

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

I would like to quote what @Dynastian said.

They seem to have lost their hunger. The majority of their squad has already accomplished so much, it seems that they are okay with not winning everything right now. They don't have the drive that Juventus or Monaco or Atletico do. Neither do they have the pressure to perform that Real Madrid does.

This is probably biggest problem with us. Sometimes lack of motivation just kills the game, like against Bayer on weekend when barely two or three players actually played like they are supposed to.

To be honest Heynckes was best manager we had in YEARS. I would prefer him over Ancelotti right now, sadly he had to go even after winning treble, Bayern was best team by a mile back then. We demoshiled Barcelona like nothing and beated Borussia Dortmund which was arguably top 5 teams in the world at the moment. Not to mention they also passed Real Madrid, and Juventus and Atletico weren't so powerful back then. We were best team in the world during Heynckes' time. Guardiola ruined it.

Now we got Ancelotti who is amongst 5 best managers in world without any doubt. But it's his first season. It would be unrealistic if we wanted treble right away. We will win league, sadly we failed to win cup but Borussia was better. Champions League is it's own story, we dropped out just because other side had luckier day. Can't complain about anything.

And also.

They are a top-heavy team. Their defenders are great individually, but they are not a solid defensive unit like Atletico Madrid or Juventus. They rely on the tackling abilities of Hummels, Lahm, etc. more than an organized defense. Their defense was FAR more impressive under Heynckes. It might have improved under Ancelotti - I don't know because I don't watch their league games properly anymore.

Defence improved a lot compared to last season. We have conceded only like fifteen goals in league and scored over 70. But we still have few problems in defence, Boateng and Alaba are having worse seasons and it was quite well-visible in first leg vs Real.

However, with summer coming close, I feel like we are gonna get rid of these problems. With Costa leaving and Brandt coming in, we'll have winger who could play for years here. Same with Sule (we will have four amazing CBs) and Rudy (who I still don't know what will happen with). It would be wasteful to play Rudy on RB so I think it's quite possible he will be third midfielder when Muller isn't CAM/CF. And if we actually buy van de Beek/Keita/anyone we are linked with, it's quite possible Rudy will be right back. So I'm not completely aware how will it turn out.

Phenohyte 7 years ago
3 122

This also proves the people wrong who thought Pep was a failure at Bayern.

@Croatian Is Costa definitely leaving? Where?

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

^ he is linked with Liverpool, Juventus and even China. And since we now activated clausule in Coman's contract and seems like we are near signing Brandt, he will probably leave during summer. He's been pretty average this season. He needs to play for a good number of games in a row to actually get in-form. Which he obviously can't do next to Ribery and Robben. It's sad but if we get Brandt I wouldn't complain if we sell Costa.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Croatian A shame but if he is not going to get much playing time, I'd rather have him play at another club. He's a pretty decent player and I think he will suceed at another club. ;)