enter image description here

Buffon wins the goalkeeper of the year

Francis Kone wins the fair play award

XI OF THE YEAR

Lieke Martens wins Fifa women's player of the yearenter image description here

Cristiano Ronaldo wins FIFA player of the year award enter image description here

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

ada

Giroud wins the Puskas Award enter image description here

Zidane wins the coach of the year

Francis Kone wins the fair play award

XI OF THE YEAR

Comments
Cristianoo 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United, England 3 53

Congrats Ronaldo! A living phenomenon. What an incredible role model, showing us all that hard work is everything.

• History

Congrats Ronaldo! A living phenomenon. What an incredible role model, showing us all that hard work is everything.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

The XI looks great, but I disagree about Iniesta, he didn't do much last year, I would give it to Kante or more of a defensive mid.

I would argue about Ronaldo's one too. But this debate would never ends :D

Croatian 6 years ago Edited
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Carvajal should surely be in XI, few games Alves had at end of season don't warrant place in XI. He was average for almost whole season, you can't really claim he deserves it. Might swap Bonucci and Chiellini, or even Hummels. Also Iniesta doesn't deserve to be there but maybe Thiago or Casemiro.

@tuan, I'd rather argue with Neymar's place than Ronaldo's though.

• History

Carvajal should surely be in XI, few games Alves had at end of season don't warrant place in XI. He was average for almost whole season, you can't really claim he deserves it. Might swap Bonucci and Chiellini, or even Hummels. Also Iniesta doesn't deserve to be there but maybe Thiago or Casemiro.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Croatian Alves was brillant for Juventus last season, especially in Champion League.

@tuan_jinn Agreed, someone else instead of Iniesta might have been more fitting. Defensive kind of player especially. :)

Also, its great to see Zidane at last gaining what he deserved. His managerial career is really the stuff of legend, 2 back to back CL only on his first two try in the competition. I don't care if he has one of the best team in the world, this deserve way more credit than anyone else imo.

• History

@Croatian Alves was brillant for Juventus last season, especially in Champion League.

@tuan_jinn Agreed, someone else instead of Iniesta might have been more fitting. Defensive kind of player especially. :)

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Ronaldo GOAT

ramaboy10 6 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Ridiculous how De Gea got 0% votes for the goalkeeper award.

Iniesta did not deserve a place on that XI, someone like Kante or even Kane should be there.

Ronaldo did not deserve that IMHO.

Pupper 6 years ago
Juventus 0 214

I don't think Ronaldo deserved that either, even though he had 2 good months. Iniesta and Alves stands out imo, but Alves was cruical in CL which is the same argument people use for Ronaldo. It's pretty obvious that both Messi and Carvajal are both better and more consistent than Ronaldo and Alves. But it's understandable that the people whos voting do not watch anything other than CL.

And I believe Oblak also had something around 0% of the votes.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

De Gea is the sore reason why Manchester United is in CL this year as much as Mou's plan. And 0%?????

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@Pupper Well, you can't give the award to Messi when Ronaldo with Real won 2nd UCL in a row, won La Liga, won Supercopa, Super Cup..

tuan_jinn 6 years ago Edited

I wouldnt give to neither. I would give it to Marcelo or Modric (especially Modric, the architect). Or De Gea, or Chielini, with a lesser team, they achieved big. Give the best striker or poacher award to Ronaldo

• History

I wouldnt give to neither. Marcelo or Modric (especially Modric, the architect)

ramaboy10 6 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

^ Agreed

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@tuan jinn

De Gea is the sore reason why Manchester United is in CL this year as much as Mou's plan. And 0%?????

Huh? Isn't the reason MU is in CL is because they won Europa League? The one competition in wich Sergio Romero was the main keeper most of the game?

Also, I think Kroos would have deserved it more than Modric. I like Modric better but he started had moment where he was bit more poor last season.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Criterias of who is worthy has been rigged when they gave Messi D'or just because he won throphies even though Ronaldo that year was better player also maybe because of Snijder injustice. Ever since then things have changed. I say suck it up. Ronaldo was the best and deserves it.

@Emo: what I meant is in general. De Gea kept us relevant in the games, had the Europa league place and throughout the season, kept our momentum when we went so down far back.

Beside, Europa league last year alone was NOT that challenging (unless a few games), because most of our opponents were not that great (not to take away anything from our amazing ROmero). Thing is, as a fan, you wouldn't believe how many heart attacks were saved THANKS to De Gea. That's how important his contribution was to us

As for Modric and Kroos, both are the engine of Real beside Marcelo and Ronaldo. And then Ramos to save the day. They are always underestimated because of the Messi, ROnaldo, Neymar hypes. I dont say they are bad, I am saying it becoming more of a popularity contest.

@Marcus: Agree, except this part:... Ronaldo what, played better???, wth, are you making stuffs up now? he wasn't even relevant, However, Snijder deserved it far over Messi in that same year. ITS TRUE. And the other year Ribery over Ronaldo while Messi was remotely close, and yet...

• History

@Emo: what I meant is in general. De Gea kept us relevant in the games, had the Europa league place and throughout the season, kept our momentum when we went so down far back.

Beside, Europa league last year alone was NOT that challenging (unless a few games), because most of our opponent were not that great.

As for Modric and Kroos, both are the engine of Real beside Marcelo and Ronaldo. And then Ramos to save the day. They are always underestimated because of the Messi, ROnaldo, Neymar hypes. I dont say they are bad, I am saying it becoming more of a popularity contest.

@Marcus: Agree, except this part:... Ronaldo what, played better???, wth, are you making stuffs up now? he wasn't even relevant, However, Snijder deserved it far over Messi in that same year. ITS TRUE. And the other year Ribery over Ronaldo while Messi was remotely close, and yet...

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

A large portion of Messi's performances in 2017 have been against mediocre or diminutive teams. Ronaldo's performances against top teams is what has him as the front-runner for Ballon d'Or. And it's not like his record this season has been shabby. He's played 48 games, scored 44 goals, and given 11 assists as a 32-year-old... while not being played in matches against bottom teams in La Liga (no chance for stat-padding).

Messi has 52 games, 50 goals, and 13 assists... more or less the same ratio but higher numbers due to more games played.

Dynastian98 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Messi

10 goals against bottom half of table
6 goals against top 6 (+2 more in Copa del Rey)
1 goal in Champions League (vs. PSG)

Ronaldo

9 goals against bottom half of table
5 goals against top 6
10 goals in the Champions League (5x Bayern, 3x Atletico, 2x Juventus)

When you put it in perspective, you can see why Ronaldo's performances stand out. His stepped up in the biggest stages and led his team to victory.

By the way, 11 of Messi's 15 goals this season (that's 73% of his total goals so far, and 100% of his La Liga goals so far) came against teams that are currently positioned at 13th, 17th, 18th, and 19th in La Liga. Just putting things in perspective.

No one was fooled when Ronaldo put 5 past Espanyol in 2015, but when Messi puts 3 or 4 past Espanyol and Eibar then he is suddenly deserving of Ballon d'Or.

• History

Messi

10 goals against bottom half of table
6 goals against top 6 (+2 more in Copa del Rey)
1 goal in Champions League (vs. PSG)

Ronaldo

9 goals against bottom half of table
5 goals against top 6
10 goals in the Champions League (5x Bayern, 3x Atletico, 2x Juventus)

When you put it in perspective, you can see why Ronaldo's performances stand out. His stepped up in the biggest stages and led his team to victory.

By the way, 11 of Messi's 15 goals this season (that's 73% of his total goals so far, and 100% of his La Liga goals so far) came against teams that are currently positioned at 13th, 17th, 18th, and 19th in La Liga. Just putting things in perspective.

@Dyn: if we must go into that discussion. Let's agree on this:

• I dont think either of them deserve it.
  • Both are still amazing, impressive statistic. just that other players are overshadowed by the 2 popularity.

Now, let's go a bit into that ROnaldo Messi discussion constructively.

A large portion of Messi's performances in 2017 have been against mediocre or diminutive teams. Ronaldo's performances against top teams is what has him as the front-runner for Ballon d'Or.

Putting things into perspective.

Let's zoom in here and let me explain why I disagree with this statement:

1. without taking anything away from Ronaldo vs. big teams goals which earns him the spot. A lot of his games which he scores 2 utmost important goals, he didn't do much, failed a lot of dribbles, missed lots of chances, then BOOM score 2 beast goals. THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. But let do not sound like he had an amazing games every time he scores.
  2. The comparison between mediocre teams are irrelevant because Ronaldo could not shine against those. Are you saying he chose to shine only against big teams?
  3. Be fair and look at the teams around the 2 players.
  4. Ronaldo are served by 2 best mids in the world! While Messi dropped to create his team's chances, in a joke of a mid, with LAUGHABLE defenders (which you too keep bashing). I do acknowledge Neymar and Suarez, but a team cant win with so much imbalance.
  5. Playing styles, Ronaldo is an insane scoring machine, best striker, and THAT IS IT.
  6. Messi is the Architect of his team's attack, but DO NOT have the leadership style. Failed to score in crucial moment.
  7. Ronaldo contribution to Portugal is as much as Messi except Messi failed the cup, and Ronaldo had it without played the last game.

It's very true that Ronaldo's goal are important! I completely agree. But that's why he's the most prolific striker in the world.

Now, mind you that, it's a team sport, say, for example, the whole team build up beautifully, create a sister for a striker to finish (1 out of 4 wonder chances). The striker takes all the credit. I dont think it's right! I am one of those who think the involvement in the goal is as important as the scorer.

Again, I dont think neither should win, the above is just to response to your statement!

• History

• Both are still amazing, impressive statistic. just that other players are overshadowed by the 2 popularity.

A large portion of Messi's performances in 2017 have been against mediocre or diminutive teams. Ronaldo's performances against top teams is what has him as the front-runner for Ballon d'Or.

1. without taking anything away from Ronaldo vs. big teams goals which earns him the spot. A lot of his games which he scores 2 utmost important goals, he didn't do much, failed a lot of dribbles, missed lots of chances, then BOOM score 2 beast goals. THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. But let do not sound like he had an amazing games every time he scores.
    1. The comparison between mediocre teams are irrelevant because Ronaldo could not shine against those. Are you saying he chose to shine only against big teams?
    2. Be fair and look at the teams around the 2 players.
    3. Ronaldo are served by 2 best mids in the world! While Messi dropped to create his team's chances, in a joke of a mid, with LAUGHABLE defenders (which you too keep bashing). I do acknowledge Neymar and Suarez, but a team cant win with so much imbalance.
    4. Playing styles, Ronaldo is an insane scoring machine, best striker, and THAT IS IT.
    5. Messi is the Architect of his team's attack, but DO NOT have the leadership style. Failed to score in crucial moment.
    6. Ronaldo contribution to Portugal is as much as Messi except Messi failed the cup, and Ronaldo had it without played the last game.

Now, again, I dont think neither should win, the above is just to response to your statement!

1. The comparison between mediocre teams are irrelevant because Ronaldo could not shine against those. Are you saying he chose to shine only against big teams?
    2. Be fair and look at the teams around the 2 players.
    3. Ronaldo are served by 2 best mids in the world! While Messi dropped to create his team's chances, in a joke of a mid, with LAUGHABLE defenders (which you too keep bashing). I do acknowledge Neymar and Suarez, but a team cant win with so much imbalance.
    4. Playing styles, Ronaldo is an insane scoring machine, best striker, and THAT IS IT.
    5. Messi is the Architect of his team's attack, but DO NOT have the leadership style. Failed to score in crucial moment.
    6. Ronaldo contribution to Portugal is as much as Messi except Messi failed the cup, and Ronaldo had it without played the last game.

It's very true that Ronaldo's goal are important! I completely agree. But that's why he's the most prolific striker in the world.

Now, mind you that, it's a team sport, say, for example, the whole team build up beautifully, create a sister for a striker to finish (1 out of 4 wonder chances). The striker takes all the credit.

Again, I dont think neither should win, the above is just to response to your statement!

2. The comparison between mediocre teams are irrelevant because Ronaldo could not shine against those. Are you saying he chose to shine only against big teams?
  3. Be fair and look at the teams around the 2 players.
  4. Ronaldo are served by 2 best mids in the world! While Messi dropped to create his team's chances, in a joke of a mid, with LAUGHABLE defenders (which you too keep bashing). I do acknowledge Neymar and Suarez, but a team cant win with so much imbalance.
  5. Playing styles, Ronaldo is an insane scoring machine, best striker, and THAT IS IT.
  6. Messi is the Architect of his team's attack, but DO NOT have the leadership style. Failed to score in crucial moment.
  7. Ronaldo contribution to Portugal is as much as Messi except Messi failed the cup, and Ronaldo had it without played the last game.

Now, mind you that, it's a team sport, say, for example, the whole team build up beautifully, create a sister for a striker to finish (1 out of 4 wonder chances). The striker takes all the credit.

Dynastian98 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Ronaldo does not play as a winger anymore. Do you expect Lewandowski to drop deep and create? What kind of an argument is that? You measure poachers by the quality and timing of their goals. And Ronaldo is a 100% poacher right now.

You do not measure a poacher by how many chances they created. You do not measure a poacher by how many dribbles he completed. You do not measure a poacher by how many crosses they put in. You measure a poacher by his goals. Stop holding different players to the same standard when there is no consistent measure of comparison. At least with goals there is a consistent measure of comparison (between Ronaldo and Messi).

• History

Ronaldo does not play as a winger anymore. Do you expect Lewandowski to drop deep and create? What kind of an argument is that? You measure poachers by the quality and timing of their goals. And Ronaldo is a 100% poacher right now.

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

There is no doubt that Messi is the better player right now. I don't believe anyone is arguing that. But Ronaldo has had the better performances in 2017.

NO, I do agree on that point. That's why I said he's the best striker/poacher.

That is NOT the ONLY argument alone to counter your comparison and statement.

100% poacher is for the striker award. A great striker can win all too, or in top 3, no doubt. Just not in this case.

The best player needs more to take into account, otherwise NO mid, defender, goal will EVER win the contest.

• History

NO I do that agree on that point. That's why I said he's the best striker/poacher.

That is NOT the ONLY argument alone to counter your comparison and statement.

100% poacher is for the striker award. A great striker can win all too, or in top 3, no doubt. Just not in this case.

The best player needs more to take into account, otherwise NO mid, defender, goal will EVER win the contest.