Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Best moments of 2016-17 PL season
legends16 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

Comment with your favourite moments of the 2016/17 PL season.

For me it has to be the 4-0 win over United, 5-0 over Everton which one commentator described as the best PL match he'd ever watched, and Hazard's goal against Arsenal in our 3-1 win.

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

My favorite moment was probably Ibrahimovic's long shot goal at Bournemouth on the first day of the season. I allowed myself a window of hope and optimism that I don't usually recognize, and I was content.

Stupid thought maybe, but it's hard to view other moments on their own merit with the knowledge that we a) weren't going to win the title, and b) weren't going to make top 4.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

^ The 2-0 win over Chelsea ?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

^ The 2-0 win over Chelsea ?

At the time, and even looking back on that now, I saw that game as an expression that Manchester United could still beat the best. And that's a nice feeling. But it hurts seeing that and knowing that we aren't in a title or even top 4 position because we drew nearly half our games against obviously inferior opposition. The notion of "why couldn't we do this before" was very strong during that Chelsea game.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Mourinho needs couple of transfer markets imo, winning EL and being smooth this summer looks vital for you guys just like for Barca.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I'm still not convinced the problem is players, although I wouldn't say no to additions like Griezmann or James. I just feel as though until we get the tactical ability to score goals reliably, what players you have finishing is somewhat irrelevant.

Our defense was second only to Spurs, but we only scored 54 league goals in 38 matches. That's less than a goal and half a game. We were more than THIRTY goals scored behind both Spurs and Chelsea. Hell, Bournemouth scored more goals than we did. And all of this is WITH Ibra doing what he did.

I don't think that's down to the players, and I think Ibra did what he did in spite of the system and not because of it. Buying more players doesn't fix that imo.

legends16 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, England 39 783

@Sunflash +1

I was going to comment and say exactly the same thing. He may be old, but you'll struggle to find a better calibre striker than Ibra. He really is one of the very best strikers in Europe, so if you can't score goals with him on the team than how can you? Don't try to tell me that Mkhi, Lingard, Martial, Rooney, Mata, Rashford and Ibra can't score goals because they haven't got enough quality. Of course they can.

You also have Pogba on the team, who has such immense potential, and was arguably one of Europe's very best midfielders at Juve under Conte. Mourinho splashed a load of cash on him but has struggled to get the best out him at United, and he is not showing the sort of quality he did when Conte was coaching him. Here the problem is not the lack of quality in the player but the manager struggling to get the best out of him.

What I'm getting to is that Man United have a strong and deep squad, and have players that match in quality to any of the other top 6 teams. This was especially proved during the many so-called 'injury crises', where Mourinho kept complaining about the many players injured but at the same time United would still have a very strong line-up.

I hate to say it given all he has done for my club Chelsea, but the United's problem lies not with the players but with the manager. Mourinho must forget spending big again on many expensive players and buying success this summer. Instead he must look at how he can pull his squad together, perhaps with a few signings to replace ageing players like Rooney and Carrick, but with the main focus on getting the very best out of the large talent pool he has at his disposal.

It is 100% possible for them. Just look at what Conte did for us at Chelsea. When he came into the club, he made a few value signings and got the very best out of the whole team. He bought Kante for 1/3 of the price of Pogba, and yet guess which of those two scooped up 3 different player of the year awards! David Luiz was known to be error prone, and was bought back at a profit instead of buying Koulibaly mainly because Conte did not want to pay the reported £65m Napoli wanted for him. And yet he made Luiz into arguably one of the best CBs in the PL. Alonso, a former Bolton player (!) cost just £20m, and is now an integral part of the Chelsea team. But as valuable as these few signings were, the success has also been dependent on Conte getting the very best of the players he already had, particularly Costa, Hazard and Matic, who had all had a terrible last season.

In a nutshell - Mourinho must look inwards, rather than outwards, to turn Manchester United into a fearsome club again.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

+1
I was going to comment and say exactly the same thing. He may be old, but you'll struggle to find a better calibre striker than Ibra. He really is one of the very best strikers in Europe, so if you can't score goals with him on the team than how can you? Don't try to tell me that Mkhi, Lingard, Martial, Rooney, Mata, Rashford and Ibra can't score goals because they haven't got enough quality. Of course they can.
You also have Pogba on the team, who has such immense potential, and was arguably one of Europe's very best midfielders at Juve under Conte. Mourinho splashed a load of cash on him but has struggled to get the best out him at United, and he is not showing the sort of quality he did when Conte was coaching him. Here the problem is not the lack of quality in the player but the manager struggling to get the best out of him.
What I'm getting to is that Man United have a strong and deep squad, and have players that match in quality to any of the other top 6 teams. This was especially proved during the many so-called 'injury crises', where Mourinho kept complaining about the many players injured but at the same time United would still have a very strong line-up.
At the end of the day, if Mourinho is just going to try spend big again this summer by buying Griezmann and no doubt many other signings, it sets a dangerous precedent for Man United.
They are rapidly becoming the team who want to buy success.

@Sunflash +1
What I'm getting to is that Man United have a strong and deep squad, and have players that match in quality to any of the other top 6 teams. This was especially proved during the many so-called 'injury crises', where Mourinho kept complaining about the many players injured but at the same time United would still have a very strong line-up. I hate to say it given all he has done for my club Chelsea, but the United's problem lies not with the players but with the manager. Mourinho must forget spending big again on many expensive players and buying success this summer. Instead he must look at how he can pull his squad together, perhaps with a few signings to replace ageing players like Rooney and Carrick, but with the main focus on getting the very best out of the large talent pool he has at his disposal.

@Sunflash +1
What I'm getting to is that Man United have a strong and deep squad, and have players that match in quality to any of the other top 6 teams. This was especially proved during the many so-called 'injury crises', where Mourinho kept complaining about the many players injured but at the same time United would still have a very strong line-up. I hate to say it given all he has done for my club Chelsea, but the United's problem lies not with the players but with the manager. Mourinho must forget spending big again on many expensive players and buying success this summer. Instead he must look at how he can pull his squad together, perhaps with a few signings to replace ageing players like Rooney and Carrick, but with the main focus on getting the very best out of the large talent pool he has at his disposal.
It is 100% possible for them. Just look at what Conte did for us at Chelsea. When he came into the club, he made a few value signings and got the very best out of the whole team. He bought Kante for 1/3 of the price of Pogba, and yet guess which Player scooped up 3 different player of the year awards. David Luiz, known to be error prone was bought back at a profit instead of buying Koulibal, because Conte did not want to pay the reported £65m Napoli wanted for him. And he made Luiz into arguably one of the best CBs in the PL. Alonso too, a former Bolton player (!) cost just £19.55m. But as valuable as these few signings were, the success hinged on Conte also getting the very best of the players he already had, particularly Costa, Hazard and Matic, who had all had a terrible last season.

@Sunflash +1

I hate to say it given all he has done for my club Chelsea, but the United's problem lies not with the players but with the manager. Mourinho must forget spending big again on many expensive players and buying success this summer. Instead he must look at how he can pull his squad together, perhaps with a few signings to replace ageing players like Rooney and Carrick, but with the main focus on getting the very best out of the large talent pool he has at his disposal.

It is 100% possible for them. Just look at what Conte did for us at Chelsea. When he came into the club, he made a few value signings and got the very best out of the whole team. He bought Kante for 1/3 of the price of Pogba, and yet guess which Player scooped up 3 different player of the year awards. David Luiz, known to be error prone was bought back at a profit instead of buying Koulibal, because Conte did not want to pay the reported £65m Napoli wanted for him. And he made Luiz into arguably one of the best CBs in the PL. Alonso too, a former Bolton player (!) cost just £19.55m. But as valuable as these few signings were, the success hinged on Conte also getting the very best of the players he already had, particularly Costa, Hazard and Matic, who had all had a terrible last season.

@Sunflash +1

It is 100% possible for them. Just look at what Conte did for us at Chelsea. When he came into the club, he made a few value signings and got the very best out of the whole team. He bought Kante for 1/3 of the price of Pogba, and yet guess which of those two scooped up 3 different player of the year awards! David Luiz was known to be error prone, and was bought back at a profit instead of buying Koulibaly mainly because Conte did not want to pay the reported £65m Napoli wanted for him. And yet he made Luiz into arguably one of the best CBs in the PL. Alonso, a former Bolton player (!) cost just £20m, and is now an integral part of the Chelsea team. But as valuable as these few signings were, the success has also been dependent on Conte getting the very best of the players he already had, particularly Costa, Hazard and Matic, who had all had a terrible last season.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I get that riding Conte's nuts is cool now, but this is entirely incorrect:

You also have Pogba on the team, who has such immense potential, and was arguably one of Europe's very best midfielders at Juve under Conte. Mourinho splashed a load of cash on him but has struggled to get the best out him at United, and he is not showing the sort of quality he did when Conte was coaching him

Pogba's best seasons at Juventus didn't come under Conte. He did break into the lineup while Conte was manager, but the force that made United spend all that money on him was largely because of what was accomplished under Allegri.

I do agree with you about the system though. Mourinho's this past year has blown big time. And to all the people saying "it's a success if we win the Europa League," fuck off. This season cannot be spun as anything other than a massive failure. If we fail to win the Europa League, it is an total failure. In terms of league position, it may as well have been Moyes. If it hadn't been for the several hundred million that was spent over the last two years, it would've been worse than Moyes. Success my ass.

legends16 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

Yep for sure I agree, everything is easier with hindsight but it is true.

OK, fair enough. Either way though, with the right manager he played great football.

Thanks. Again, I know it's easy to say now that Chelsea have won the league but I think it really is great to see how Conte got the very best out of a frankly depressed and disjointed squad. Look at Moses as well - nobody thought he had any sort of a future at Chelsea, but again like Alonso became so crucial to success.

It's refreshing to see a candid and honest Man United fan like yourself. Most of the Man U fans I know still talk glowingly about how Mourinho has transformed their team and everything that he has done. Before Christmas my Man U mate said 'just you wait, they will be right up there, top of the PL table' by the end of the season. We're still waiting. He says the same thing now, but about next season. After every one of their 15 draws (incidentally more draws than Chelsea last season when we finished 10th) he would just point to the fact it was 1 point gained, forgetting the 2 points lost. The fact that they were still languishing in 6th seemed barely important.

What I'm getting to is Man United is a great club with an even greater history, and one that other teams should look to with fear. Being content with 6th in the league is not good enough for a club of that size, spending that much money. If they do carry with this sort of attitude, their status will fade from a great club to a good club.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Spurs loosing to West Ham was my favorite moment of the season.

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

^ If that's true, then that's a pretty sad existence.

It's funny, you know, how many years I defended Chelsea's honour, when everyone else on here wanted to laugh at them. But hey, that's me, instead of you, and I'm glad I'm the better one. :)

For me, the best moments of the season were beating Chelsea 2-0 to prevent them setting a new record, and sending Arsenal home 2-0 as well. In fact, we didn't lose a single game at home all season; winning 14 out of 18.

Also this:
enter image description here

He's just a one season wonder, guys!

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

^ If that's true, then that's a pretty sad existence.

It's funny, you know, how many years I defended Chelsea's honour, when everyone else on here wanted to laugh at them. But hey, that's me, instead of you, and I'm glad I'm the better one. :)

For me, the best moments of the season were beating Chelsea 2-0 to prevent them setting a new record, and sending Arsenal home 2-0 as well. In fact, we didn't lose a single game at home all season; winning 14 out of 18.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Don't get salty , it is a banter ;)) Honestly , i admire the way Spurs has eclipse in EPL as title challengers . Cudos to management and clubs philosophy . I was upset when Spurs went out of the group stage and then in Europa League . It was Pochetinhos naive approach rather than Spurs not having enough quality to beat opponents they have faced . Cheers for next year , lets give another season of beautiful race to title and i hope next year Spurs will do great in Europe !

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

4-0 over United. It's great winning against United, but this was more about us really appreciating Conte's 3-4-3, keeping the streak going, Kante scoring a beauty, the celebration after that goal, and for the first time for me, really believing that we could win the league. Mixed emotions regarding Mourinho, but I guess that just added to the excitement.