Real Madrid 483 7140

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44464913

Final will be in New York City.

16 locations; 10 in the US, 3 each in Canada and Mexico

60 matches will be hosted in the US, while 10 matches each in Canada and Mexico

Host Cities:

Canada: Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto
Mexico: Monterrey, Guadalajara, Mexico City
US: Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, Nashville, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Cincinnati, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York

Comments
Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I'm waiting for the swaths of Canadians and Americans who will suddenly act like they've been watching "soccer" their entire lives and are experts in debating football-related matters.

Other than that, I'm ecstatic. Hopefully Mexico and Canada can host the semi-finals or some of the quarter-finals, especially as the final will be in New York. :)

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Dynastian From what I heard, the bulk of the tournament will be in the State though, especially the later part. But seriously, I'd be fine with just watching a decent group stage game in Montreal. Then again, its hard say which team I wish to see because in 2026, I lot of the player we know and like will propably have retired. Pretty sure there's a big chance we won't see the like of Messi and Ronaldo anyway. :( Wonder who will be the big star by then. Anyway, I'm just as hyped as Dynast for this! :D

Yvan21 6 years ago
0 440

Final will be in New Jersey btw :p like 15 minutes from where I live

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Yvan21 enter image description here

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Im. So. Happy. About. This, !.

Great news. A wold cup in a country with massive sports culture and complete capability to organize and host an event of this magnitude.

Btw
@Dynastian: Are those cities confirmed? I thought they had 23 cities to pick the final 16.

And does anyone know if they already confirmed the amount of teams to participate in this WC. I had the idea it was going to be 48 teams this time.

This opened a discussion in our side of the world because with a confederation as small as CONCACAF now having 3 teams pre-qualified the final qualification round would be very poor and would see countries like Jamaica and Guatemala going for the WC run. If on top of that the tournament gets expanded to 48 teams then We would get 6 places on top of the 3 already qualified...

Anyways, so exited about this WC. Im going to be there for sure.

kyoekyar 6 years ago
12 163

Dream comes true... I will be able to witness a WC game eventually...

Madridista11 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

I'm waiting for the swaths of Canadians and Americans who will suddenly act like they've been watching "soccer" their entire lives and are experts in debating football-related matters.

This. I have honestly lost complete interest in International football after Euro 2012 just because of this. Not having my country there also makes it much harder lol

Club football > International football.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

I'm gutted that this isn't going to be held at Australia (feel like it's long overdue for one), but the three-joint country event sounds very interesting, and I'm sure the finals at New York would be a wild one for sure. The Americans sure know how to hype up events like these, and we surely need one right now.

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

Some Americans have been watching and playing our whole lives........ Just saying. 😎

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@DarthFooty True that, but then again, I'm pretty sure its not those kind of people Dynast is talking about. ;P

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

I mean, I'm not really happy for it. Us Europeans will have to get up in night to watch it, there is gonna be a ton of insufferable Americans on the internet and in real life, Canada and Mexico only get few matches because US steals the rest of the show, this is Mexico's 3rd and USA's 2nd WC hosted, more than a lot of other nations had. It sucks for fans too, Mexico alone is gigantic, now take USA and near-border Canada, they will travel a lot and pay a lot.

I'd take Morocco because they breathe football and African WC is nice. But I'm not gonna complain 'too' much, it's WC, and everybody is gonna watch it no matter where it is.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Some Americans have been watching and playing their whole life and still when I engage into discussion with them I quickly find out how limited their knowledge is about football.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Marcus2011 Funny man, thats exactly how I feel when I speak with certain British people. How unexpected. :O

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

USA just got it in 1994, they host 60 games out of 80. Other 2 countries are just here to legitimate the candidature...
It’s third time Mexico is getting it, I want to see new countries organizing World Cup. Because it’s a real economical boost for countries and some countries need it more than others if you ask me.

That being said, hope it will be different than 94, empty NFL stadiums with a pitch marked by NFL signs...

Marcus2011 6 years ago

Morocco was runner up but Americans used their regular threat to expose all the rest corrupted inviduals so they got their bid accepted.

Marcus2011 6 years ago

Oh the brits don’t know jack sht either and act snobby when it comes to football. I seincrely respect Italian And German friends inputs about football

Tuanis 6 years ago

@Tiki

I would like to disagree with your idea of WC hosting.
Hosting the most important tournament in the world of sports is not a matter of charity. The country needs to be very well prepared to host a WC and its people. South Africa was a disaster, not close to what I think Qatar would be, mainly because of the unexisting infrastructure other than stadiums. I don't care about the countries economics, It didnt help Brazil or South Africa that much anyways. Morocco might have a football culture but so does the US and Mexico and Canada. For me this is the best host decision since Germany 2006. With WC is going to be insane!.

oh and btw, what is that nonsense about empty NFL stadiums? 1994 WC established not only a record but a trend of attendance for the rest of the WCs to come. They still hold the record for the highest total attendance ever in a WC.

Dynastian98 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Morocco might have a football culture but so does the US and Mexico and Canada

Lol, only Mexico has a football culture out of the three. The US really doesn't, and in Canada only the immigrants from South Asia, the Middle East, and Europe have a football culture. Football here in Toronto is mostly a low-income sport.

Canada doesn't really have a massive sport culture outside of hockey and maybe baseball. Even basketball is a sport you'll see mostly minorities and immigrants play.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Morocco might have a football culture but so does the US and Mexico and Canada

Lol, only Mexico has a football culture out of the three. The US really doesn't, and in Canada only the immigrants from South Asia, the Middle East, and Europe have a football culture. Football here in Toronto is mostly a low-income sport.

Tuanis 6 years ago

The MLS is the 6th league with best average attendance in the world so there IS somewhat of a culture over there. Percentage-wise it might be the 4th most popular sport there but that is still a ton of people. And culture alone is not enough to pick a WC host. The US has everything needed and more, except for its football culture they exceed in every way when compared to other candidates and previous hosts.

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tuanis

I completely agree with you with regards to financial capabilities of the nation hosting, but culture is also a huge aspect of it. The reason the 2014 World Cup is so revered by fans is because it was held in the footballing capital of the world: Brasil. A good footballing culture goes a long way to making a memorable World Cup.