Real Madrid 483 7140

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44464913

Final will be in New York City.

16 locations; 10 in the US, 3 each in Canada and Mexico

60 matches will be hosted in the US, while 10 matches each in Canada and Mexico

Host Cities:

Canada: Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto
Mexico: Monterrey, Guadalajara, Mexico City
US: Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, Nashville, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Cincinnati, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York

Comments
Lodatz 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@raimondo:

I rather the WC be hosted by US/Mex/Can over Qatar any day.

I absolutely agree, and my only concern with the North American hosting is the logistics for fans. The stadiums will be great, the security should be fine, and I'm sure it will help unify the North American countries, at least for a little while.

It's just that over here we feel the pain of not getting our sport back, and places like the US getting it twice before we have. It hurts. :/

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

You guys are looking waaay too much into the issue here.

I honestly don't care about anything else besides the quality of the WC, for the fans specially. It the US had to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get the WC 2026 then good for them and the rest of the world, they should have done it sooner.

I'm yet to see a decent argument against having the WC in the US. And the more I read into it the more I like it. Logistics-wise, the groups would be divided by regions so they wont have to go all over the continent. The only thing I don't support is the idea of having 48 instead of the current 32 tournament format.

The US will host a great tournament, they are masters of the show business, the sports business and the money business so I'm expecting to see one of the best, if not the best, world cup ever in 2026.

Lodatz 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Let's hope that's the case, Tuanis. I certainly don't want it to go badly. I don't even want this tournament in Russia to go badly. If it's a great tournament, then we all win.

Madridista11 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@Golefty

lol this is one of the stupidest things youve ever said, i know alot of people that do not fit your criteria that are deeply routed in football culture, eveyone here in canada came from immigration at one point anyway

He's not wrong. Not to say there aren't guys like you and @Sun, but for the most part immigrants are the ones who are deeply interested in the game. It is what it is tho

I honestly don't see what superiority complex you guys are talking about. To host an event like the WC or even the Olympics you need a country that can provide you with proper updated infrastructure and a decent amount of hype and love for the game. Culture is extremely crucial for the success of the event.

I'm very excited North America will host because I can see it exposing this sport to this region even more as evident in the progression of the MLS. But the fact remains: All of the continents excluding North America have deep football culture (Taking away Mexico) so I don't get the fuss.

Golazo111 6 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I'm very excited North America will host because I can see it exposing this sport to this region even more as evident in the progression of the MLS. But the fact remains: All of the continents excluding North America have deep football culture (Taking away Mexico) so I don't get the fuss.

It's mostly the US that will be hosting first of all.

They hosted in 1994, and had a good World Cup with 3 goals per game on average and a great attendance that probably set some World Cup records.
It's a country of immigrants, where many people have a heritage from Latin America and Europe and even if we speak of some 3rd-4th generation it's pretty significant for the US population to keep track of their ancestry and for example even if they have nothing to do with Ireland they will always say they are half-Irish and stuff like that (even though in the last few years less and less people migrate to the US, at least when it comes to México...).
Just watch some pre-season games when big clubs play in the US it is really a huge interest for those games and the stadiums are always full, regardless of their president right now and a rise of the far right, the US people are in general very open-minded and willing to learn about new stuff and in general they are crazy about sports as a whole.

The US don't have a deep football culture but they have a "soccer" culture and I have seen that they established their own Ultras called the Outlaws for their own national team.

I have no real reason to like the US but people should give credit where it's due.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

It's mostly the US that will be hosting first of all.

They hosted in 1994, and had a good World Cup with 3 goals per game on average and a great attendance that probably set some World Cup records.
It's a country of immigrants, where many people have a heritage from Latin America and Europe and even if we speak of some 3rd-4th generation it's pretty significant for the US population to keep track of their ancestry and for example even if they have nothing to do with Ireland they will always say they are half-Irish and stuff like that (even though in the last few years less and less people migrate to the US).
Just watch some pre-season games when big clubs play in the US it is really a huge interest for those games and the stadiums are always full, regardless of their president right now and a rise of the far right, the US people are in general very open-minded and willing to learn about new stuff and in general they are crazy about sports as a whole.

The US don't have a deep football culture but they have a "soccer" culture and I have seen that they established their own Ultras called the Outlaws for their own national team.

I have no real reason to like the US but people should give credit where it's due.

Madridista11 6 years ago Edited

Still, from what I know aside from Latins and Europeans nobody gives a damn. I don't see what's wrong with what I said.

You know, @Sun really convinced me the last time we spoke about the MLS. I've seen recently the rise of the sport here so I'm not hating. And to your point, the Guiness International Cup is a hit over here.

Again though, I don't see anything wrong with my original comment. It's still for the most part the least favourite sport in Canada and the States.

Edit: said "bit" instead of "hit"

• History

Still, from what I know aside from Latins and Europeans nobody gives a damn. I don't see what's wrong with what I said.

You know, @Sun really convinced me the last time we spoke about the MLS. I've seen recently the rise of the sport here so I'm not hating. And to your point, the Guiness International Cup is a bit over here.

Again though, I don't see anything wrong with my original comment. It's still for the most part the least favourite sport in Canada and the States.

Dynastian98 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Golefty

I'm not lying. I've grown up in Toronto, that is the culture there. I've been to almost all the major cities in Southern Ontario, and the trend is that the majority of people who play football are the minorities. And the only areas you will go and find a large number of people playing football at any given time is the minority-dominant areas.

Of course, since playing in youth teams is expensive here, most of the players who play in youth teams are middle-class or upper-class kids (mostly white, and some are children of European immigrants. Although there are a solid amount of wealthy South Asian and Caribbean kids who play in the youth teams in Southern Ontario).

Considering that football is not a major sport in Canada, and that Canada has a heavy immigrant culture, it's honestly not surprising to see mostly immigrant children being absorbed into the footballing culture. That's probably why a large majority of hardcore football fans here tend to be immigrants from Africa, South Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe, South America, Caribbean, etc.

Although I can't speak for Vancouver or Montreal. :P

• History

@Golefty

I'm not lying. I've grown up in Toronto, that is the culture there. I've been to almost all the major cities in Southern Ontario, and the trend is that the majority of people who play football are the minorities. And the only areas you will go and find a large number of people playing football at any given time is the minority-dominant areas.

Of course, since playing in youth teams is expensive here, most of the players who play in youth teams are middle-class or upper-class kids (mostly white, and they tend to be children of European immigrants. Although there are a solid amount of wealthy South Asian and Caribbean kids who play in the youth teams in Southern Ontario).

Considering that football is not a major sport in Canada, and that Canada has a heavy immigrant culture, it's honestly not surprising to see mostly immigrant children being absorbed into the footballing culture. But a large majority of hardcore football fans here tend to be immigrants from Africa, South Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe, South America, Caribbean, etc.

@Golefty

Of course, since playing in youth teams is expensive here, most of the players who play in youth teams are middle-class or upper-class kids (mostly white, and some are children of European immigrants. Although there are a solid amount of wealthy South Asian and Caribbean kids who play in the youth teams in Southern Ontario).

Considering that football is not a major sport in Canada, and that Canada has a heavy immigrant culture, it's honestly not surprising to see mostly immigrant children being absorbed into the footballing culture. But a large majority of hardcore football fans here tend to be immigrants from Africa, South Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe, South America, Caribbean, etc.

@Golefty

Considering that football is not a major sport in Canada, and that Canada has a heavy immigrant culture, it's honestly not surprising to see mostly immigrant children being absorbed into the footballing culture. That's probably why a large majority of hardcore football fans here tend to be immigrants from Africa, South Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe, South America, Caribbean, etc.

Golefty 6 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

Before you said only , now it’s a trend or the majority , I think maybe it’s just where you live.... lol and guys like me and sun flash? You mean white guys? Your speaking from your experience as if it is the national trend, alot of white girls are into soccer aswell , my cousin who’s grandfather (not myside) took her to qpr games in England as a kid and coached youth soccer teams , she now plays univiersity football most of her teammates are white , in just going to say white instead of beating around the bush. I’m sure if you go to a field looking for a game of pickup football in scarbourough a lot of the people playing won’t be white .... but there’s a lot of us out there ... like my white friend who has offers to play in Portugal and Serbia at the moment ,, I think that any argument based on someone’s race is sort of flawed especially when it comes to soccer the most globally enjoyed game to exist

Madridista11 6 years ago

You guys as in people born here... Who the hell brought up race in this @Golefty? C'mon bro!