Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Depay to Lyon
louis_van_gaal 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 38 786

So Depay has officially signed for Lyon for 16M + 8M in bonuses on a 4 year deal. I personally don't understand Mourinho's thinking behind selling him because with his potential I feel like selling him is a waste. Mourinho also sold De Bruyne and Lukaku at a young age at Chelsea who have now both gone on to be extremely World class players proving Mourinho's mistake. I have feeling the same could happen with Depay.

What are your thoughts on this situation?

Comments
kyoekyar 7 years ago
12 163

Depay can become really big. He has huge potential. I would love to have him in my team if I were a coach.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Maybe United will buy him back like Pogba. It's not like United are really running short on money anyways, lol.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@louis Loaning him would have been better in my opinion for United, or selling him with a buy back option. However, it seem like they didn't wanted to. Too bad for United. I just hope Memphis does well at Lyon and at last get some much needed playing time. :D

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

He wouldn't adapt, I think he will flop at Lyon. Another Gourcuff if you ask me.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

@emo i think there is a buy back option fyi

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

There had better be a buy-back option. Memphis' issues were all mental, he's the most physically able player I've seen at United since Ronaldo - if he could sort that out, he would actually fill his massive potential. I'd hate to waste that, not really a fan of selling him at all, but I'd be somewhat ok with a buy-back option.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Gonzi Oops, sorry then, didn't know about that. Thanks for correcting me buddy. ;)

@amir_keal Please no, not another wasted talent. :(

@Sunflash Cheer, here's hoping him and Martial can become the future winger of Manchester United (or striker for Martial). :D

Tuanis 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Im pretty sure there is a buy back option involved. United is not that stupid. Imagine Memphis playing top-form with Lyon and coming back to United later on. We needed to loan him but selling him with a buy back clause is the next best thing.

amir_keal 7 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Emobot, sorry, but I can't see him succeeding at Lyon

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Emobot, sorry, but I can't see him succeeding at Nice

saatvik10 7 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

I would prefer it having a buy back option, but personally I never liked Memphis that much. Yeah he was all flashy and his tricks and skills are top class and he's athletic. But his mental attitude was something I had a problem with. He didn't seem to realise that he was playing for Man United, and slowly he was phased out of the squad.

If I was in charge I would want a buy back option, but I won't be sad for 1 minute if there isn't.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@amir Well, I don't see him fail at the very least. :P

@saatvik I would have to agree with you, also, he never inspired much sympathy from his interview. :(

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Do big boys play for Lyon now?

Golefty 7 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

I think its a great move for Depay, hopefully some good lyon highlights. It will be interesting to see how he will fit with their formation and link up with lacazette.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Emrecan Lol, didn't thought of that, hope Van Persie say that to Memphis next time they meet. XD The guy must be having a laugh right now. ;D

@Golefty He will no doubt be useful to them, or at the very least, I hope he will. I don't know if they have any better option already on the wing.

• History

@Emrecan Lol, didn't thought of that, hope Van Persie say that to Memphis next time they meet. XD The guy must be having a laugh right now. ;D

ashwin1729 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

I thought that he should have been given a fair chance this year. That being said, where would he play? If there is a buy back clause for say like $20-25Mil, then its a very good deal for United. He's going to get playing time else where. If he becomes world class, we can buy him back. If he fails like Quaresma, then we have recouped most of the money. I see it as a win-win situation.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

Ok guys, just made the research, ther is a buy-back clause in the deal with Lyon... Its £35 million. Not really suprising when you think Lyon buyed him for £21,7 million. Of course it was never gonna be less than £10 million more than what Lyon as paid. At this point though, can't help feeling United should have tried a loan instead.

• History

Ok guys, just made the research, ther is a buy-back clause in the deal with Lyon... Its £35 million. Not really suprising when you think Lyon buyed him for £21,7 million. Of course it as never gonna be less than £10 million more than what Lyon as paid. At this point though, can't help feeling United should have tried a loan.

ashwin1729 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

@Embot: Problem with loaning him is that if he flops, we won't even re-coup this price. Of course, if he does very well, then I don't mind shelling out the additional 14 Mil...

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@ashwin1729 True, but the problem is, if he does suceed in France, it doesn't mean for sure that he will succeed back in England, he might just end up flopping again. Hopefully it won't happen though.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Could have been loaned, a permanent move means that Mourinho won't call him back.
A good thing for the player too, He saw himself too good being the franchise player for a short time. He stopped progressing and had an unprofessional atitude imo, going back to Lyon in an athmosphere where you can't be hyped and in a club with a salary cap will oblige him to work harder or to collapse.
Sportively, its a better option to join an ambitious squad in a club where you can't earn the jackpot before being transferred again, rather than going to a midtable English team and keep same bad habits.
Thats a big bargain Lyon are taking, but it can be a very good move if the player decides to do sacrifices for his career.

decentK 7 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

@tiki Well said there :-)