Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Emo's debate thread: Liverpool vs Manchester United
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

I know this is on a short notice but share with us who between those 2 rivals you think will win, who have the best squad between them and why it is so. The debate is on. :D

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

United is the better team but we'll probably lose because that's never stopped us from losing before.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash Fair enough, still, no doubt Mourinho will manage to get his team pumped for the derby. Why not being positive about it. :)

nandaYNWA 7 years ago
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

"United is the better team"

better how?

Squad? Manager? Form?

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

better team? lol

liverpool is definitely the better team. more creativity, more passing, more play.

by better team, i assume you meant you have a more expensive squad.

nandaYNWA 7 years ago
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

in his/united's favour though,our defence is shambolic

however we've only conceded two more goals than united and scored five more, so take that as you will :p

i expect goals in this game, neither team has a good defence

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@nandaYNWA Oh my, this smell of debate, continue. :D

karlzmris 7 years ago
Leeds United, England 1 10

united will get a spanking tonight

Pool is on form now and seems to have found their rhythm early meanwhile united still seems quite unsure of themselves at times so far

coupled with homeground advantage, i can't see united taking anything home today

oh. if mou benching rooney, united may have a chance

rayrex7 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

Manchester United on paper has a better squad, Liverpool has better team chemistry and are in form. Manchester still hasnt found their team identity yet, or their best/strongest 11. Obviously going by form and and previous performances Liverpool will run over United, but Manchester have Mourinho, and he is always full of surprises, if he wants to win a game, he will win, but you won't like it, neither will some of the squad players, so he is trying to adapt to the squad and try to think of a way whats best for his team. Its also true what @Karlzmris said, If United bench Rooney, they may have a chance. Their best result for United is a draw.

I also agree with @nandaYNWA, there will be tons of goals since both defenses are pathetic, but Manchester will have the upper hand in their defense thanks to Baily. I am expecting a 3-1 win for Liverpool. I don't know why but I also feel United might win 2-0.

Best of luck for the both, exciting match for neutral fans.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

lol, obviously @SunFlash is being sarcastic here. :D

We have a better team on paper, but Liverpool is far more scary considering their current form.

Agree with @nandaYNWA, both defenses are concerning if not lame. :D.

I think @Mourinho will go with a counter tactic to cover this, and this is best for us, since it's his best approach anyway. I hope we dont play too negatively so there will be loads of goals.

saatvik10 7 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

Manchester United has the better team, but Liverpool are currently playing some of the best football in the PL. The team chemistry is already sorted since Klopp has been here longer, and Mourinho still needs time to figure out his squad's strengths and his best starting 11.

I know most will disagree with me on this, but I think it's time to bring back Mkhitaryan. He was the best player in the Bundesliga last season for a reason, and the reason he performed so badly in the Manchester derby was that he was being played out of position. The day Mkhitaryan gets his confidence back and plays in his proper position is the day Rooney's United career will be over.

On the match though, we have a good recent record against Liverpool (UEL aside), and Mourinho can pull out a win here. I expect 2-1 to United.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm not taking the statement back either.

There is no doubt in my mind that United is the better team. Liverpool go on runs like this every season, even under Rodgers they had 2-3 impressive winning streaks a season. But Liverpool has been, both under Rodgers and Klopp, a streaky team. Until they are able to convince me otherwise, I have no reason to believe that they will finish above United by the end of the season.

Just take a look at the reactions to the starts. United's start has, in general, sucked. Liverpool's start has their fans (as seen in this thread) expecting big things. The difference between the teams? 3 points.

United is the better team until Liverpool proves otherwise. An in-form team winning at home against a team that hasn't found itself yet won't convince me of that either. Finishing above United by the end of the season will.

Rowley 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 193

Liverpool have the worst squad. United are going to trash them

wescarlyon 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 0 22

@Rowley Keep the debate professional!

My opinion of the two teams is similar to @SunFlash - United are the team. It's true they're still finding their form but considering we're only 7 games in and only 3 points behind Liverpool, it's not enough evidence to suggest Liverpool will thrash Man Utd tonight. Liverpool are in-form, granted, but can they keep that up? Consider the 2-0 reverse to Burnley, Liverpool aren't convincing enough for me to say with certainty that they'll win tonight.

Rowley 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 193

Well said
I totally agree with you. If Manchester United are not on form atm, then what is there form? Atm they r 3 points behind Liverpool suggesting when they r on form, United fans will have a great time :p

Gustavo 7 years ago
Liverpool 2 234

The difference between the teams?

It isn't only 3 points. Liverpool has played better opponents than Man United. It's stupid to predict (albeit, pretty fun) how the season will end this early, but if we were forced to predict right now it's also pretty stupid to say " I have no reason to believe that they will finish above United by the end of the season". Liverpool has demonstrated so far a higher quality of football, statistically and other wise, than Man United, and those aren't opinions, those are facts.

Simply stating Man U has a better team "on paper" without any reasons whatsoever is meaningless.

Man U has a better keeper, but that's it.

In Defense:
Bailly
Jones
Rojo
Smalling
Blind
Shaw
Darmian
Valencia

Besides possibly Shaw there isn't a player on that list I'd pick over any Liverpool defender, and even then I wouldn't need him as we have a solid back four.

MF:
Mata
Rooney
Pogba
Lingard
Carrick
Blind
Young
Herrera
Mkhitaryan
Valencia
Fellaini
Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger

Schweinsteiger and Rooney are aging, Lingard has proven nothing, Carrick is aging and thus mediocre, Fellaini and Schneiderlin have been mostly mediocre in a United shirt, Pogba is class but has yet to prove his worth and neither has Mkhitaryan. Mata and Herrera have shown to be consistent for the most part. The rest speak for themselves.

So in MF, Pogba, Mkhi, Herrera, and Mata is the best you've got on "Paper" and yet 2 out of 4 haven't shown they can handle the Premier League yet.

FW
Depay
Ibrahimović
Rooney
Martial
Rashford

Martial and Rashford are great potential players, but on "Paper" that doesn't mean much. Ibrahimović still has some class in him and will prove to be a fine asset during the season, but he is aging and will most likely go through several dry spells through out the season. And Depay seems to have some talent but not the mental fortitude for the Premier League, he can prove a lot of people wrong but probably won't.

At the end of day I'm biased so I think our squad beats that squad day in and day out, but maybe we should let the footyroom users to decide.

chelsea8 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

This has to be one of the worst most boring first halfs i've seen so far.

And pogba the most expensive player in the world is the biggest joke, he is so useless.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

This has to be one of the worst most boring first halfs i've seen so far.

rayrex7 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

I literally wasted 45 minutes of my life for something so boring that I actually enjoyed the ads that keep popping up.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I literally wasted 45 minutes of my life for something so boring I actually enjoyed the ads that keep popping up.

dr_chelsea 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 1 58

@Gustavo In defense, I would pick Bailly before any Liverpool centre back. He was a good signing for Man U and has already shown his quality. I do agree on your midfield decision that they haven't shown their form yet but I don't think Liverpool's midfield is any better. But I do prefer Liverpool's forward as it has so much skill and pace in it especially with Mane.
@wescarlyon well said :)+1 but remember when Watford defeated Man u 3-1

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

That referee has to be one of the worst refs, every touch is a foul he doesn't let them play.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

You're biased as hell Gustavo.

De Gea is better than whatever you start in goal, that's a given, and we both agree on that.

You stated you'd take Shaw over any Liverpool defender and I agree. Eric Bailly has been United's best player in over half of their games this season and has started better than any defender at United for the last few decades. I would take him in a heartbeat over any of Liverpool's defenders. Smalling and Sahko/Lovern (who I view as Liverpool's best defenders) are comparable, but I'd still take Smalling. If I was making a back four of both teams, the only Liverpool player there would be Clyne over Valencia. Wow, one of the leagues better RB's plays the position better than a 30-year old winger. Shocker.

In the midfield, Coutinho is better than any CAM United have, so you get him. Mane has also been lit, so I would accept him over useless Mhiki/Rooney/Fellaini (whoever is playing on or near the right side of midfield for United). Henderson is not better than Pogba, regardless of how poor you perceive Pogba to have been since his move, and I'd take Herrera over Can everyday of the week. I'm going to be honest, I have no idea who plays on the left side of the Liverpool midfield, but I'd take Martial over whoever it is. He's been poor to start the season, but adjusting to a new manager is not always easy and he's shown signs in the last few games.

As for the attack, I don't think Ibrahimovic is all that he's cracked up to be. Good thing it doesn't take too much to be better than Sturridge/Firmino. Rashford was United's player of the month last month, an award he fully earned and has a loftier place in the England squad than Sturridge, so this isn't just me talking out of me ass here.

I still don't think Mourinho is a top 3 manager in the world, so Klopp and him can be put on semi-equal pairing, although Klopp probably has the advantage atm because he had the team last season.