Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Europe quals brutal rule or fair enough?
Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

As it stands, in Europe there are 9 groups and the rule says that the "worst" second placed team is kicked out while the other 8 will play eachother for the group spot.

Currently the worst second placed team is Wales.
But I'm not sure why is this even a rule and how it got passed because if a group is balanced it will be harder to gain points and obviously Wales is in a balanced group fighting with Ireland for second place while Serbia is most likely taking the first place.

Isn't it too much cruel to get the second place and still not have a chance to fight for a spot?
The whole "design" of the format wasn't that good IMHO.

Comments
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@Emobot True, it can be kind of unfair, especially if the team was part of a very competitive group but hey, thats how Fifa made it. :(

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Slovakia to be the victim of this stupid rule. RIP.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Golazo True that, then again, Greece still need to win... not that I can imagine them losing against Gibraltar but who know.. XD Anyway, if it wouldn't be Slovakia, it would be another team, at the end of the day, someone is alway gonna be deprived of a chance because of it. :(

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I feel that one NA space should be given to Europe. I don't know but it's countries from the NA that just go for 3 games every 4 years. Instead of the worst 2nd team not qualifying, it's better the best 2nd team goes through and the others fight it out.