Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Evolution of UEFA club competitions from 2018
Emrecan_58 8 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

The top four teams from the four highest-ranked associations will enter the UEFA Champions League group stage from 2018 after new formats were confirmed for both major club competitions.

From uefa.com

What do you think about this? Fair or unfair?

Comments
SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

-A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).

Huh. I would say this is British panic about losing their CL spot, but thanks to Roma's gallant loss the other day, that hardly feels like the case. I can't help but think that these rules disproportionately reward the "big" clubs and leagues at the expense of smaller ones. Of course, they did say the financial payout was larger for everyone, so...

If I could see these in practice I'd be able to form a better opinion, it's too abstract right now for me to think my way through.

quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

It's even easier for better teams now as well, and even harder for the underdogs. We know UEFA want's just the best but this is not fair imo.

tuan_jinn 8 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

if I understand it correctly, then top 4 of all top 4 elite leagues would go through group stage?

That's a bit blatant I must say if it's true

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

What are the four leagues, out of curiosity?

Because aside from Juve's run in 14-15, Serie A has been crap in the CL, with their 3rd team not even making into the group stages of the last few years. I have to think that France and even Portugal have done better.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

I think that is ridiculous, as if it wasn't already though enough for weaker team... But wait, that would mean that weaker team would be sure not to face big team like City in the playoff before the group stage? So, does it mean it would actually make it easier for weaker team to get through or does it mean its not faire because there less spot for those team. Hard to say. :(

_Gonzi_ 8 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

i want to see the best teams face in the CL, that's what it's all about. I have no sympathy for the weaker teams in the CL. If this new system sees that through, i'm all for it.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

@Gonzi Thats the problem lad, the way its working, the stronger team should be the one who win match, not the one who play less game because they are supposed to be elite. We shouldn't assume the top four in the top country would alway manage a win against the top team of another country, best team shoudln't be the one we expect, they should be the one that won to be were they are and not just in their domestic league but in europe as well. I'm not saying I don't understand your idea and I would even say part of me wouldn't mind, but I still think its unfair and isn't what the champion league should be about. The moto of the UEFA is respect, yet they have no problem putting team in different category and treating some of the bigger team as if they are untitled to have an advantage over weaker one. In my opinion thats a lack of respect toward the underdog from other country than the top four... :(

Emrecan_58 8 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

UEFA is obviously hypocrite.
While creating pot1 with full of Champions or separating the play-off draws as League Route and Champions Route, on one side(Because they won their respective leagues); they take top4 teams directly from top4 Leagues on the other side.

I am not sure, if it's gonna make better teams to play on Champions League, I would support. I told my opinion before about this. But being an hypocrite just makes it questionable.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

UEFA is obviously hypocrite.
While creating pot1 with full of Champions or separating the play-off draws as League Route and Champions Route, on one side(Because they won their respective leagues); they take top4 teams directly from top4 Leagues.

I am not sure, if it's gonna make better teams to play on Champions League, I would support. I told my opinion before about this. But being an hypocrite just makes it questionable.

Phenohyte 8 years ago
3 122

I have to admit that I like this.

I want to see the best teams in the UCL. The smaller, therefore weaker teams get too many places. In England, there are 7-8 teams who match the UCL's standards. Also 5-6 clubs in Spain and Germany.

I think the best 3 would deserve more places than Italy but I support every decision which makes the field stronger.

This will make the field stronger without a doubt. Teams like Mönchengladbach, Inter, Roma, Schalke, Arsenal or Sevilla could get a place in the UCL this way. Instead of the likes of Copenhagen, Celtic, Legia, Ludogorets, Plzen, Maccabi.

auldfrank67 8 years ago
Celtic, Scotland 0 1

Disgusted with UEFA...THE RICH WILL GET RICHER....its all about money now. Teams like AC MILAN ,MAN UTD get a higher coefficient because of success half a century ago,as do my club,but we do dont want this,we want a fair system....They want a slice of the EPL pie and they want to keep as much for the perceived bigger clubs...it will be the same old teams in the semis and final.Its now getting boring ...TAKE NOTE UEFA...VERY SOON THE FANS WILL VOTE WITH THEIR WALLETS AND TELL YOU TO STICK YOUR CORRUPT SYSTEM UP YOUR A***.