Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Expectations for the PL top 6 this season
legends16 6 years ago Edited
Chelsea, England 39 783

Ahead of the new PL season, I thought I'd make a thread discussing what would constitute a successful season for the top 6 teams and what would be considered as progress for them.

Below are my thoughts on what each team MUST achieve in order to be considered as having had a successful season for the 18/19 season

Manchester City: Win the Champions League and top 3 in the premier league
Manchester United: Win the Premier League or Champions League
Liverpool: Win the Premier League
Tottenham: Win any trophy or piece of silverware
Chelsea: Any trophy and champions league qualification
Arsenal: Champions League qualification

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Ahead of the new PL season, I thought I'd make a thread discussing what would constitute a successful season for the top 6 teams and what would be considered as progress for them.

Below are my thoughts on what each team MUST achieve in order to be considered as having had a successful season for the 18/19 season

Manchester City: Win the Champions League and top in the premier league
Manchester United: Win the Premier League or Champions League
Liverpool: Win the Premier League
Tottenham: Win any trophy or piece of silverware
Chelsea: Any trophy and champions league qualification
Arsenal: Champions League qualification

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

I partially agree with you but here what I think these team must do to achieve a successful season:

Manchester City: Win the league + another trophy or win CL.
Manchester United: Win the league, win the CL or win FA Cup while going far in CL and being close second in PL.
Liverpool: Win the league or win any major trophy (FA Cup or CL), must finish top 3 in the league at minimum considering their reinforcement.
Tottenham: Win something like you said, the FA Cup in particular would seem realist considering lack of new recruit.
Chelsea: Getting CL qualification would seem like a fair expection considering Sarri will need time to adapt.
Arsenal: Same as Chelsea.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

This season will be fire ! Chelsea objective will be simply make into top 4 and win some throphy. If we win EL , it will be great

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

When it comes to Chelsea, I don't think getting a trophy would be my own personal expectation.
Maybe getting some shiny things every season got fans a bit spoiled but for me the only expectation would be getting the CL spot, last season a lot of things went wrong and even so we were top 5 so just a slight upgrade is expected, we still don't have anyone capable of producing a lot of goals...

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

EL + UCL qualification, change our boring display and it will be successful season

serans 6 years ago
Manchester United, Poland 3 203

Am I the only one that don't see Chelsea winning anything or being in TOP 2?
My predictions are:
TOP 2 City and Liverpool
3-4 United and Chelsea
5 Spurs
Other clubs that will fight for 6th place: Arsenal, Everton and West Ham.

Champions League: Juve to win (finally) and one club from PL in semis (City probably).

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

With the preseason so far, even the win against Real (while they subbed the whole team and we used almost the A team :()... I have big doubt if MU even make it to top 3

serans 6 years ago Edited

Well, I have one rule in my life: never trust preseason games.

Everyone is here saying have awful it is that MU is playing defensive football, how they gonna get smashed because all the other teams are playing offensively. I call that bullshit. Athletico Madrid is probably the best example on how in league dominated by offensive playstyle you can get good results year after year after year by good defending. Mourinho is not attacker, so stop hoping he will change his playstyle after 18yrs of coaching big team with great results.

• History

Well, I have one rule in my life: never ever trust preseason games.

Everyone is here saying have awful it is that MU is playing defensive football, how they gonna get smashed because all the other teams are playing offensively. I call that bullshit. Athletico Madrid is probably the best example on how in league dominated by offensive playstyle you can get good results year after year after year by good defending. Mourinho is not attacker, so stop hoping he will change his playstyle after 18yrs of coaching big team with great results.

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Other clubs that will fight for 6th place: Arsenal, Everton and West Ham.

you put Arsenal and West Ham fighting for 6th and Chelsea for 3rd, lmao...

serans 6 years ago

Dont get me wrong man. I would love to put Arsenal higher. Every year they seem to have great squad but they still dissapoint. I think that Sarri is better coach then Emery and Hazard is a beast.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

Emery isn't a bad coach though, I just feel the jump between Sevilla to PSG was too big.

serans 6 years ago

Never said he is bad, I respect him for what he did with Sevilla. But he didnt accomplish much with PSG, having - on paper - one of the most talented and expensive players ever.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

@serans I know, but like I said, I think the jump between the two club was too big. Now, at Arsenal, he bring a whole new experience he got at PSG which will be interesting to see if it make a difference. I think it should.

• History

@serans I know, but like I said, I think the jump between the two club was too big. Now, at Arsenal, he bring a whole new experience along which will be interesting to see if it make a difference. I think it should.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

I see 3 teams with equal chance of winning the epl:

man city: it's always the pressure to win treble at the back of that bald head.
liverpool: have been ages since they win, with this gen and klopp, no excuse.
chelsea: new manager mentality.

the leftouts:

arsenal: experimental era, rebuilding era.
man utd: sird season dilemma, I just hope they can give a fight to disrupt the title race.
spurs: miss their chance on that leicester season, I don't see them even touching 2nd place this season.

europa fight:
west ham: good window and experienced manager, I never see a better response after a complain.
everton: marco silva and richarlison, exciting team.

relegated teams (bold prediction):
watford, lose their tactician with no replacement.
southampton, survive once, but sell players smh...
huddersfield, I would hate to see crystal palace down lol :P

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Liverpool's expectations have risen and they might even get cocky and fire Klopp for failing to win trophies even if they make it top 4. It will be a big mistake if that happens because Jurgen has been doing fantastic job and has build a great team.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Actually that's true. When you make a lot of noises directly or indirectly (because of the media), when you are not even close to the first 2... That might be badly back fired.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Marcus2011 @tuan You guys are right, having improved their squad a lot will put extra pressure on the Reds but I sincerly think they are not the kind to make that sort of mistake. I really hope so at least. :(

• History

@Marcus2011 @tuan You guys are right, having improved their squad a lot will put extra pressure on the Reds but I sincerly think they are not the kind to make that kind of mistake. I really hope so at least. :(

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Me personally top 4 and a trophy. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I don’t want to finish 6th but win EL to get into CL. I want the PL in like the next 5 years. And it won’t happen if this season is like 5/6. 2 seasons ago we had 1 point less than 4th, but last season we had over 10 points behind 4th with legendary 3 away points on the most pointless match day regarding position. And I probably would like the quality of football to go back up to pre 2015

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

City - deep CL run and probably looking for back-to-back PL
United - most likely looking for CL qualification and decent run in CL
Liverpool - should be closest to City, but also they will probably have tougher opponents in UCL
Tottenham - I think after the transfer window, they should be happy with 4th or 5th spot...
Chelsea - could take time to adopt to Sarriball, however deep run in EL and competing for CL should be good for first season IMO
Arsenal - honestly think this is gonna be their year, they could enter CL back again, and probably gonna have good run in UEL

Feel like fans of City, Liverpool and Arsenal will be happy, Chelsea's optimistic and Tottenham's and United's won't be really happy with the way their season left.