Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

FootyRoom Council of Referees
Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

What's up people.

For a while, I wanted to start a series in which we discuss some questionable ref calls. Originally, I joked with a Footyroom member about this, but would like to actually make this a legitimate discussion on this forum. Welcome to the Footyroom Council of Referees, people!

Rules for FCR: Post videos about something that will actually drive a discussion. Try not to post something that the vast majority will agree upon.

1. Stay on topic. You may use examples from different scenarios, but please come back to the discussion.
  2. Keep calm. This is a discussion, so keep it classy
  3. Easy with the conspiracy theories. If you'd like to bring it up, fine as long as you don't dwell on it. We are talking about what we would do as refs, not if team A paid the refs to beat team B.

Alright, so for the first scenario: The ref disallowed a goal for Higuain in the second leg of the UCL semi-finals against Barcelona back in 2011. Basically, Ronaldo "fell" on Mascherano, who clearly dove when he realized he couldn't keep up with Gonzalo. What do you guys think?

a) Was the ref right or wrong?

b) If Javier didn't dive, would the decision by the ref be accurate?

3) Why would the ref call the foul after Higuain took his shot? Is there a rule that tells you calls DON'T have to be immediate?

Discuss!

This video's quality is pretty sh!te, but it's the only one i can find.

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Should probably create a new thread of each of these. This is devolving pretty quickly.

Madridista11 7 years ago

^ That was the idea initially, have different case studies.

Emrecan_58 7 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

For the first video, the ref is obviously right. Mascherano may have overreacted but there's still a contact there. Ref makes the decision in split seconds so that one was fair.
Vidal's 2nd yellow was wrong.
I can't judge the RVP one because we need to have a better idea about how much noise fans created. If he really didn't hear or he did heard but still shot... But it didn't seem like the fans were much loud tho. So I think RVP heard the whistle but still hit the ball.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

For the first video, the ref is obviously right. Mascherano may have overreacted but there's still a contact there. Ref makes the decision in split seconds so that one was fair.
Vidal's 2nd yellow was wrong.
I can't judge the RVP one because we need to have a better idea about how much noise fans create. If he really didn't hear or he heard but still shot... But it didn't seems like fans were much loud. So I think RVP heard the whistle but still hit the ball.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

No way in hell do I consider RvP's red card a valid red card. It was complete bullshit.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Agree, this deserve separate constructive thread for each incident!

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Basically most of these calls favor Barcelona?

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@Golazo Lol, true, I haven't realized that, not all of them though. :P

Madridista11 7 years ago

@Golazo We review whatever video we get, it ain't our business who gets favored haha

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

M'bappe got a red card after his fault was reviewed by VAR, what do think?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

M'bappe got a red card after his fault was reviewed by VAR, why do think?

Emrecan_58 6 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@Emo Correct decision.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

He lost the ball and was going in with the only intention to commit a foul, from the back and with studs...It's like asking for a red.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

Still it was interesting to see since its one of the first red thanks to VAR I had seen, especially with such a high profile player being involved. I think its one of his first red as well since he went pro. So its interesting. :)

@Golazo I love your new profile pic, it look great. ;)

Yvan21 6 years ago
0 440

What do you guys think about this one? Yellow or red card?

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Yvan21 Wouldn't complain if this was a red tbf though its clearly not intentional. Still was dangerous play so like I said, I think red could have been fair.

Yvan21 6 years ago
0 440

@Emobot that's what I was sort of thinking as well, because it's definitely a reckless move. Whether it was intentional or not, he clearly connects with his studs high on the player's legs.

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

I agree with Emobot7. This could have gone either way depending on the Ref.

Having the ability to see it from the video, I like that it is a yellow. You can see he did try to pull out of the tackle some and went to the player right away to check on him.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

I agree, Sergio should have seen red. It wasn't intentional but dangerous play and reckless move.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

I am so hard right now.

Seriously, a second yellow for a dive is literally the most enjoyment I will ever get out of a soccer game. Huge justice boner.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash So true. :) Completely agree, good work by the ref as well.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

Indeed, thats really satisfying