Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Franco theory
Salahadin 7 years ago
Real Madrid, France 11 554

Since there's not much to talk about these days, sooo.. we're going to discuss the most famous theory when it comes to Madrid's history talked, especially by Barça fans.

"Franco theory"
Have a read.

During Franco’s reign [1936 to 1975], Real Madrid won just ONE more national title than Barcelona:

RM: 21 titles
FCB: 20 titles

Franco “helped” Real Madrid SO much that RM didn’t win a SINGLE league title for the first 18 YEARS of Franco’s reign [1936 to 1954].

The ONLY title named after Franco is the Copa del Generalísimo [currently Copa del Rey] and it was won by Barca [9] MORE times than RM [6].

Most CDRs won during Franco’s reign:

[9] Barcelona, Athletic
[6] Real Madrid
[4] Atletico, Valencia
[2] Sevilla, Zaragoza
[1] Espanyol

For a team much favoured and backed by Franco, Real Madrid only won 16% of the Copas during Franco’s reign [6 out of 37]. Great logic..

Barca is the team with the LONGEST period of not receiving a red card or penalty in Liga history, achieved during Franco’s reign [1972].

Barcelona lost just 4 Clasicos in the 6 years following their 11-1 loss in the Copa del Rey [out of 13]. Maybe Franco was napping then…

There were 98 Clasicos during Franco’s reign, with the record being:

RM Wins: 43
Draws: 16
FCB Wins: 39

Where’s the “Franco influence”?

FOUR of the 7 biggest Barca wins EVER in El Clasico came during Franco’s reign [5-goal margin].
He was apparently vacationing at the time..

Barcelona have won 13 Clasicos with a 4+ goal margin, SIX of those victories happened during Franco’s reign.

Former Barca president Agustí Montal [1969 to 1977] shown honoring Franco with a medal [one of the three times Franco was honored by Barca].

Former Barcelona president Agustí Montal during the signing of Johan Cruyff with a bust of Franco in his office.
The “hate” is real..

FINALLY the Cule story says Franco ordered Barca during halftime to lose the game. The score was 8-0 after the 1st half!
Where is the logic?
[RMadrid_stats]

Using lies to justify your hate is just disgraceful.

Comments
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

As a noob, I don't really get everything you say. Who is this Franco guy? Was he accused to support Real over Barca by Barca fan? You don't seem to explain those thing in your post. :(

raimondo90 7 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Just a warning, this topic is very controversial. Especially when you are attempting to defend Franco, or his involvement in Real Madrid. He was a dictator and opposing him openly at that time meant a death sentence either public or "forced disappearance" were over 110.000 people have gone missing.

FINALLY the Cule story says Franco ordered Barca during halftime to lose the game. The score was 8-0 after the 1st half!
Where is the logic?
[RMadrid_stats]

I think the original story behind is that Barcelona had won the first leg by a large margin at home. Then the Barcelona supporters were banned from attending the away match and the Real fans took to the streets to abuse and attempt to disrupt the players.
The Catalan's claims also include that Franco told them they were only playing because his regime was generous in allowing them to and some other threats. Of course none of this was proven but when Barca didnt want to come out and play the second half, a Royal Police officer pretty much forced them. Or at least thats how the story goes more or less.

I think there is only one direct evidence of Franco helping Real Madrid and its in the signing of the historic Di Stefano. Barcelona had already reached an agreement with River Plate to sign him but Franco intervened; going as far as creating a laws to prevent the transfer and well the rest is history. Its important to point out he lead Madrid to their most successful period ever.

If anyone is interested here it is: https://sites.duke.edu/wcwp/research-projects/spain/franco-gets-his-man/

Salahadin 7 years ago

General Franco is supposed everything bad happened to Barca was because of him. All trophys real won was mostly due to him being powerful in Spain. Blatant hate by the cules.

Salahadin 7 years ago

Who is defending Franco?

I am talking about the the talk about how Madrid won most of thier trophies in his regime which is not true.
As you see above

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Who is this Franco guy?

Emo, pls. Read some history. Start at the Spanish Civil War and go from there.

@Salahadin

Anyone who says that Franco had zero influence over the sport at the time is simply wrong. We can debate about how much influence he had, and in what ways that broke the levelness of the competition, but it may be worth pointing out that Real as a dominant force did not really occur until he was in power, and seemingly (imo) as a result of Di Stefano. What happened with his transfer is fishy af, and the forces that were at play there, mostly from the men who had vested interests in the South American teams, make the affair very complicated. To say that the Spanish (FA) at the time was not influenced by the fact their dictator favored Real when making the decision on Di Stefano is simply illogical.

That being said, I don't - and neither does any other living person - have all the pieces that would settle the case. And innocent until conclusively proven guilty in my book.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash Er... I'm very sorry, I'll try to inform myself before answering in the future. Thanks for the head up mate. I'll be more careful.