Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Gonzalo Higuain transfer
Dynastian98 8 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/serie-a/2015-2016/gonzalo-higuain-s-78m-juventus-move-its-place-in-history-and-what-it-means-for-football_sto5699162/story.shtml

So Juve have activated the 28-year old's buy-out clause for 75.300.000 Pounds (90.000.000 Euros). This makes him the third most expensive player in history without inflation in British Pounds (Bale -> Ronaldo -> Higuain -> Neymar -> Suarez).

Was it worth it? Will it ever be worth it? Are Juve really that much better with Higuain now? Keep in mind that he did break the Serie A record for most goals in a season with 36 in 35 last season. This is the first time he's done extraordinarily well since before his back injury at Madrid (for those who never watched that Madrid team, Higuain was one of the best strikers in the world during that season. He even scored more goals than Ronaldo).

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/serie-a/2015-2016/gonzalo-higuain-s-78m-juventus-move-its-place-in-history-and-what-it-means-for-football_sto5699162/story.shtml

So Juve have activated the 28-year old's buy-out clause for 75.300.000 Pounds (90.000.000 Euros). This makes him the third most expensive player in history without inflation in British Pounds (Bale -> Ronaldo -> Higuain -> Neymar -> Suarez).

Was it worth it? Will it ever be worth it? Are Juve really that much better with Higuain now?

Was it worth it? Will it ever be worth it? Are Juve really that much better with Higuain now? Keep in mind that he did break the Serie A record for most goals in a season with 36 in 35 last season.

Comments
Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

At 28, soon 29, I don't think he was worth it at all, maybe if he manage to win CL for Juve but I doubt that will be the case. In my opinion, they really went overboard. I'm not sure it really make them that much stronger but one thing for sure, it make Napoli weaker, I nearly feel like this transfer was as much about replacing Morata than it was about weakening their direct rival in serie A. I''ve been happy for Juventus when they got Pjanic but I feel like they are buying their way to victory right now. Serie A will propably be pretty boring next season if other Italian team fail to strengthen themselve enough. :(

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

28 is the prime of a player's career. People hype over potential FAR too much in this game - Juventus are getting one of the best target strikers in the world, and easily the best in their league.

That said, I've never thought of Higuain being on the same level as Suarez/Lewa/Benezema because of his lax performances for Argentina. That Copa America final was tragic.

My reservation in all this is first, obvious overprice, and second, does Juve really need a world-class target striker? Why would you limit Dybala's involvement?

I don't like it, but then again if Juventus really wanted a world-class attacker, Higuain is probably the cheapest option atm.

Eden17Hazard17 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC 157 4232

"At 28, soon 29, I don't think he was worth it at all, maybe if he manage to win CL for Juve but I doubt that will be the case." - Emobot

That's an interesting point. Based on his performances last season I do believe that he is worth all that money, but I never thought I'd see Juventus spending that much on him, regardless of their financial situation. If Real forked out that fee to resign him, then I think that we could all comprehend that as it would guarantee another CL trophy for them. Juve's decision to smash their transfer record isn't just down to inflation and rising prices. They are surely targeting a CL triumph within the next couple of seasons, but like Emobot and many others out there, I can't see them winning it; even with Higuain.

• History

"At 28, soon 29, I don't think he was worth it at all, maybe if he manage to win CL for Juve but I doubt that will be the case." - Emobot

That's an interesting point. Based on his performances last season I do believe that he is worth all that money, but I never thought I'd see Juventus spending that much on him, regardless of their financial situation. If Real forked out that fee to resign him, then I think that we could all comprehend that as it would guarantee another CL trophy for the. Juve's decision to mash their transfer record isn't just down to inflation and rising prices. They are surely targeting a CL triumph within the next couple of seasons, but like Emobot and many others out there, I can't see them winning it; even with Higuain.

That's an interesting point. Based on his performances last season I do believe that he is worth all that money, but I never thought I'd see Juventus spending that much on him, regardless of their financial situation. If Real forked out that fee to resign him, then I think that we could all comprehend that as it would guarantee another CL trophy for them. Juve's decision to mash their transfer record isn't just down to inflation and rising prices. They are surely targeting a CL triumph within the next couple of seasons, but like Emobot and many others out there, I can't see them winning it; even with Higuain.

_Gonzi_ 8 years ago Edited
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

I would put Higuain on a list that includes Suarez/Lewa/Aguero/Griezmann. I believe he is one of the best strikers (...and yes I am saying this as an argentine...the finals were unlucky). He is also the only world class striker available during this transfer window at the peak of his career (club-wise) and a great age. Zlatan is old, played in the french league while Higuain proved himself a goal scoring machine in the most defensive league in the world.

Juventus plays with 2 strikers, so Dybala's involvement will not be limited. Higuain is also a cherry picking striker, while Dybala plays as a 10. So they would complement each other perfectly. Hopefully Mandzukic will stay, he's the most hard working, in terms of running and stealing the ball. So those 3 strikers all contribute differently, giving Juve options depending on the game.

@emobot. Also I do think Juve is aiming for CL glory, and what's bad about buying a world class striker. They're not buying their way to victory. They're just buying a striker, because they lost one. With the sale of Pogba, buying Higuain for 75.3m pounds is great. Not over-priced. He proved himself last season.

Do I think Higuain is worth 75.3m pounds...absolutely. He is one of the best strikers in the world atm. One of the top leading goal scorers for Argentina ever. In comparison, do i think Suarez is worth 200m....I absolutely do.

• History

I would put Higuain on a list that includes Suarez/Lewa/Aguero/Griezmann. I believe he is one of the best strikers (...and yes I am saying this as an argentine...the finals were unlucky). He is also the only world class striker available during this transfer window at the peak of his career (club-wise) and a great age. Zlatan is old, played in the french league while Higuain proved himself a goal scoring machine in the most defensive league in the world.

Juventus plays with 2 strikers, so Dybala's involvement will not be limited. Higuain is also a cherry picking striker, while Dybala plays as a 10. So they would complement each other perfectly. Hopefully Mandzukic will stay, he's the most hard working, in terms of running and stealing the ball. So those 3 strikers all contribute differently, giving Juve options depending on the game.

@emobot. Also I do think Juve is aiming for CL glory, and what's bad about buying a world class striker. They're not buying their way to victory. They're just buying a striker, because they lost one. With the sale of Pogba, buying Higuain for 75.3 pounds is great. Not over-priced. He proved himself last season.

Do I think Higuain is worth 75.3 pounds...absolutely. He is one of the best strikers in the world atm. One of the top leading goal scorers for Argentina ever. In comparison, do i think Suarez is worth 200m....I absolutely do.

@emobot. Also I do think Juve is aiming for CL glory, and what's bad about buying a world class striker. They're not buying their way to victory. They're just buying a striker, because they lost one. With the sale of Pogba, buying Higuain for 75.3 pounds is great. Not over-priced. He proved himself last season.

Do I think Higuain is worth 75.3m pounds...absolutely. He is one of the best strikers in the world atm. One of the top leading goal scorers for Argentina ever. In comparison, do i think Suarez is worth 200m....I absolutely do.

tiki_taka 8 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Well Napoli didnt want to sell, Juve activated the buyout clause, thats it. Higuain imo is worth 55m. But here is an analysis, knowing that Pogba must leave, knowing that his wages demands are impossible for Juve to be given, knowing that Juve's image could turn like a feeder club for top guns aka Dortmund, And may get threatned by Dybala leaving. Morata departure was also a big loss, Zaza is not enough, Cavani not better than Higuain, weakning their main rival to Calcio may cost extra 30 mil.
Juve got a sportive vision, They are rising sportively but the direction show ambition doing wise signings, Higuain signing was a must buy, not many world class strikers in the market, They bought one while the owner team was reffusing to sell.

They overpaid, but They are waiting for a sportive rise with Europeen ambitions, amazing move.

Tuanis 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Most ridiculous transfer ever... This goes beyond transfers like Sterling and Carrol. What a way to waste almost the entire amount being received for the sale of Pogba. Higuain is a mediocre-decent striker. For a team that has already won the league 4 times in a row and probably didnt have the need for another striker this expensive. I dont even know what's going on in the market anymore, anything could happen. Im out of word to describe how ridiculous this transfer is for Juventus.

quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

They got overpaid by Pogba, they overpay the Higuain as well, that's it. The prices are going totally out of control...

Croatian 8 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323
  • 28 year old
  • will probably drop in class after 2 seasons
  • there are better and younger CFs/STs
  • he did only one season in Italy

On other hand,

• first prolific goalscorer from 2010s (in Italy)
  • he is consistent
  • if he tries his best he will maybe stay at his peak for longer time

Anyways in my opinion his maximum cost would be 60 million euros if he was this good few seasons ago.

quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I'm just wondering how will this transfer affect Mandzukic playtime..

Emobot7 8 years ago Edited
538 11432

@quikzyyy Will no doubt have a bit of rotation between the two and Dybala, there is also many chance that they will be time when Gonzalo or Higuain are injured so Mandzukic will have a chance to rise to the occasion in those occasion. One thing for sure however is that you don't pay that kind of money for a player that will remain on the bench. I don't think they will bench Dybala since it could hurt his progression and his playing time. So yeah, I fear Mandzukic will be a sacrifice and will play less.

@Eden17 Agreed, they really are going for the CL title next season, I mean, with the quality they have right now, Serie A is nearly certainly theirs, so they will no doubt focus on CL above all else now.

• History

@quikzyyy Will no doubt have a bit of rotation between the two and Dybala, there is also many chance that they will be time when Gonzalo or Higuain are injured so Mandzukic will have a chance to rise to the occasion in those occasion. One thing for sure however is that you don't pay that kind of money for a player that will remain on the bench. I don't think they will bench Dybala since it could hurt his progression and his playing time. So yeah, I fear Mandzukic will be a sacrifice and will play less.

@Eden17 Agreed, they really are going for the CL title next year, I mean, with the quality they have right now, Serie A is nearly certainly theirs, so they will no doubt focus on CL.

MrGoooool 8 years ago
Liverpool, Mexico 27 580

I think it's not worth it. 36million yes but not 90 euros. I think dybala and higuain will play up front while mandzukic will be in the bench .

Croatian 8 years ago Edited
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

@Emobot,

Dybala - Higuain
Pjanić
Marchisio - Pogba*
Bonucci - Chiellini - Barzagli
Buffon

It's 9 players and squad is already beast. I can think of adding wing-backs since there is no left/right mids or wings. Also putting Mandžukić and extra midfielder would seem good since Khedira can be good CDM and Pereyra-Pjanic duo would be sick to watch.

• History

@Emobot,

---Dybala - Higuain---------
----------Pjanic--------
---Marchisio - Pogba*---

Bonucci - Chiellini - Barzagli
-------------Buffon-------------

It's 9 players and squad is already beast. I can think of adding wing-backs since there is no left/right mids or wings. Also putting Mandžukić and extra midfielder would seem good since Khedira can be good CDM and Pereyra-Pjanic duo would be sick to watch.

_Gonzi_ 8 years ago
           Dybala/Mandzu - Higuain
                    Pjanic/pereyra
khedira/sandro - marchisio - lichsteiner/sturaro
  evra - bonucci - barzagli/chielini - dani alves
                       buffon/neto
tuan_jinn 8 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Just a domino effect after Pogba sky high possible transfer. He is absolutely no where near that price tag. He had a great season last season, ok. But he is very inconsistent when it comes to big games. 40mil max.

Just ridiculous.

Morrizen 8 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 4 791

I agree, very overpriced transfer, but he is a great striker though. He is exactly what juve needs to battle for champions league glory.

tiki_taka 8 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

They couldn't bargain on a youngster they needed a final product striker, there aren't many on the market and it's a buyout clause activation so nothing surprising specially when you know that Pogba would pay both Higuain and Pjanic transfers.

KaKa_CS 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 1 910

Definitely he does not even worth half of that. Juve will win the Seria A without him. If the case that they signed him to win CL, they must be dreaming. We have seen how he ruined Argentina in both World Cup and Copa America finals.
@Gonzi it is funny to compare Higuain to Suarez. How dare you ???

_Gonzi_ 8 years ago

@Kaka-cs learn to read. "Do I think Higuain is worth 75.3m pounds...absolutely. He is one of the best strikers in the world atm. One of the top leading goal scorers for Argentina ever. In comparison, do i think Suarez is worth 200m....I absolutely do." If you notice, i said he's valued more than double higuain. My god people here just want to start arguments...ffs...

KaKa_CS 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 1 910

@Gonzi Learn what words mean. You should not have even mentioned that comparison.

_Gonzi_ 8 years ago

enter image description here