Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Goodbye Mikel. Thank You for Everything!
Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

After 10 and a half amazing years at Chelsea, this legend leaves. His service was priceless.

Thank you Mikel!!!

enter image description here

Comments
tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

So if you dont think he is a legend -> you dont appreciate him and be idiot???

What kind of logic is that??????

The word legend shouldnt be abused. Would you put him next to Drogba, Terry or Lampard??? If yes, ok. Im out. If no, then he isnt a legend. He is a faithful servant of a club. And we all acknowledge him that way. Respect and appreciated.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So if you dont yhink he is a legend you dont appreciate him and be idiot???

What kind of logic is that??????

The word legend shouldnt be abused. Would you put him next to Drogba, Terry or Lampard??? If yes, ok. Im out. If no, then he isnt a legend. He is a faithful servant of a club. And we all acknowledge him that way. Respect and appreciated.

kenkichiotaka 7 years ago
Manchester United, Japan 47 1894

Chelsea legend!! AHAHAHAHA

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Think about the amount of money Chelsea wasted on Mikel's wages. I agree with @Marcus, it was a problem with Chelsea's sporting director(s) to be unable to identify players who are necessary to keep at the club and those who can/should be replaced.

BTW, if you want to put Mikel on the list of Chelsea legends, alongside the likes of Lampard and Zola and Drogba, then I am confused about how you describe "legend".

For example, Marcelo has been a high-quality, fairly consistent, and long-serving player of Real Madrid. It doesn't mean he's a club legend. He's certainly played a lot more minutes than Mikel and been among the best in his position for a large part of his career. He's also almost always been in the starting XI for a decade. But almost all Madridistas I have spoken to wouldn't consider Marcelo a club-legend. We have a massive amount of respect for him, but club-legends are something else.

• History

Think about the amount of money Chelsea wasted on Mikel's wages. I agree with @Marcus, it was a problem with Chelsea's sporting director(s) to be unable to identify players who are necessary to keep at the club and those who can/should be replaced.

BTW, Chelsea legends would be players like Zola, Cech, Terry, Lampard, and Drogba. If you want to put Mikel on the list of Chelsea legends, then I am confused about how you describe "legend".

For example, Marcelo has been a high-quality, fairly consistent, and long-serving player of Real Madrid. It doesn't mean he's a club legend.

BTW, if you want to put Mikel on the list of Chelsea legends, alongside the likes of Lampard and Zola and Drogba, then I am confused about how you describe "legend".

For example, Marcelo has been a high-quality, fairly consistent, and long-serving player of Real Madrid. It doesn't mean he's a club legend.

For example, Marcelo has been a high-quality, fairly consistent, and long-serving player of Real Madrid. It doesn't mean he's a club legend. He's certainly played a lot more minutes than Mikel and been among the best in his position for a large part of his career. He's almost always been in the starting XI for a decade. But almost all Madridistas I have spoken to wouldn't consider Marcelo a club-legend. We have a massive amount of respect for him, but club-legends are something else.

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

What makes mikel less of a legend? He was loyal and always humble, never complained and played for us even when his father was kidnapped and was at our club for a decade and won every big trophy with chelsea. Just because he wasn't world class player doesn't make him less of a legend.

Also john terry said that mikel is a legend.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Tuan, that's not the point here. Let's see what people here are thinking

A player who has been excellent for four years out of four, and leaves like a legend. Is that a legend by most of what people here and in general think? Yes.

A player who has been excellent for five years out of ten, and just leaves like a scum. Is that a legend by most of what people here and in general think? No.

So to me, what legend means to a lot of you is this: an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.

The way the player leaves also plays an impact. For example, not many Arsenal fans consider Rosicky a legend, but I do. He has stuck for us when we needed him, always came back from injury and lead to us some magic. Sure, he's only won two FA cups, but he's been great. So I'm not saying that Mikel is a legend, but I think people need to think of the meaning of legend. Even right now, I believe that Sanchez is a legend, because if RVP and Fabregas are legends, why doesn't that make Sanchez a legend? Same with Ozil. Same with koscielny( not many might agree). So I some factors need to be considered.

amir_keal 7 years ago Edited

For example, Marcelo has been a high-quality, fairly consistent, and long-serving player of Real Madrid. It doesn't mean he's a club legend. He's certainly played a lot more minutes than Mikel and been among the best in his position for a large part of his career. He's also almost always been in the starting XI for a decade. But almost all Madridistas I have spoken to wouldn't consider Marcelo a club-legend. We have a massive amount of respect for him, but club-legends are something else.

I disagree here. Marcelo is about 28. He joined when he was 19. If he were to leave whilst fulfilling his contract ( 2020), he would undoubtedly be a legend. He doesn't even need to get better, he's shown what's he's capable of. Also, as one would say, players need to win trophies to somehow be considered a legend. Guess what? Marcelo has trophies. 12 at Real Madrid in his time at Madrid.

I also think defending players here are quite underappreciated. And one thing, listen to what your heart says. If you consider him a legend, then you do. If not then you don't. I am often criticized for talking out my opinion, but that's what I think. Madrid fans I know in real life consider casillas a legend. A large proportion of the santiago bernabeu don't. That doesn't mean every Madrid fans opinion must change.

• History

I disagree here. Marcelo is about 28. He joined when he was 19. If he were to leave whilst fulfilling his contract ( 2020), he would undoubtedly be a legend. He doesn't even need to get better, he's shown what's he's capable of. Also, as one would say, players need to win trophies to somehow be considered a legend. Guess what? Marcelo has trophies. 12 at Real Madrid in his time at Madrid.

I also think defending players here are quite underappreciated.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

No one is bigger than a club . Everyone at the club is asset except fans because they support the club . Management can be replaced , footballer can switch to another club , owner can sell the club but fan always stays a fan for many many years spending his dime on his favorite club !

Mikel was burden ! He should have been out after he didn't deliver what was promised of him . @dyanstian is so right , we could have had someone else in his place and pay those wages to a better project . It was obvious Mikel was failed talent . How did Mikel improved honestly over the years ? No improvements .. same crap different season .. wasted money ! Wasted our , FANS , money ! We pay their wages ! To me football is entertainment business ( many of you , won't agree ) and Mikel hasn't entertained me one bit ! Thus my money wasted , my club made a poor choice and I blame sporting director who should be out on his way with Mikel !

amir_keal 7 years ago

Eden and Marcus sure have different interpretations of Mikel.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Marcus2011 Huh, ok then, won't argue with you then.

I guess than the word legend to describe earlier might have been exagerated, but still, he was a loyal player so I don't understand how its wrong for some people to show their apreciation. No matter how poor he was. XD

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

So to me, what legend means to a lot of you is this: an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.

That's untrue mate, it's just a part of an equation, a legend should leave a long lasting impact, a short of a legacy, do a lot more than just a loyal servant player...

On the other hand, your interpretation is more obvious of: a good/decent player, play for a club a reasonably long time, did his job and be nice. ALREADY qualified as a legend.

@Emobot:
Showing appreciation is one thing, and absolutely agree. Calling a player LEGEND is another thing.

Again, acknowledge him as a player loyal and was part of the club, appreciate him is the right thing to do. Calling him a legend makes the word legend looks way less legendary and put Mikel next on the same level as Lampard, Drogba or Terry is simply a crime

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC 157 4232

To an opposition fan, I can clearly see how Mikel cannot be called a legend, because in the vastness of football, he is not a footballing legend. I think only Chelsea fans can deem him as a Chelsea legend, because of how much more we see day in day out, on and off the pitch. He wasn't there for our first two PL triumphs, but has won the lot since.

Mikel has played more games and won more honours at Chelsea than Ashley Cole, who we rightfully see as a Chelsea legend. Dyn added him on his thread and Marcus correctly agreed to that. The thing is, although Cole was undoubtedly a greater player than Mikel, Mikel had the greater impact at Chelsea over his career than Ashley Cole. We are blinded by the fact that Cole had such a great time at Arsenal prior to Chelsea, that makes him a football legend, but in no way is he a greater Chelsea legend than Mikel. If you do think so, then skill and talent is all it takes to become legendary. It takes more than that. Mikel is a Chelsea and Nigeria legend.

Regardless of how good he has been, he has always been in first XI contention, seen through his appearance stats.
enter image description here

Chelsea
Premier League: 2009–10, 2014–15
FA Cup: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
League Cup: 2006–07, 2014-15
FA Community Shield: 2009
UEFA Champions League: 2011–12
UEFA Europa League: 2012–13

Nigeria
Africa Cup of Nations: 2013
2016 Summer Olympics : Bronze Medal

Individual
FIFA World Youth Championship Silver Ball: 2005
African Young Player of the Year: 2005, 2006
Chelsea Young Player of the Year: 2007,[87] 2008

• History

To an opposition fan, I can clearly see how Mikel cannot be called a legend, because in the vastness of football, he is not a footballing legend. I think only Chelsea fans can deem him as a Chelsea legend, because of how much more we see day in day out, on and off the pitch. He wasn't there for our first two PL triumphs, but has won the lot since.

Mikel has played more games and won more honours at Chelsea than Ashley Cole, who we rightfully see as a Chelsea legend. Dyn added him on his thread and Marcus correctly agreed to that. The thing is, although Cole was undoubtedly a greater player than Mikel, Mikel had the greater impact at Chelsea over his career than Ashley Cole. We are blinded by the fact that Cole had such a great time at Arsenal prior to Chelsea, that makes him a football legend, but in no way is he a greater Chelsea legend than Mikel. If you do think so, then skill and talent is all it takes to become legendary. It takes more than that. Mikel is a Chelsea and Nigeria legend.

Chelsea
Premier League: 2009–10, 2014–15
FA Cup: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
League Cup: 2006–07, 2014-15
FA Community Shield: 2009
UEFA Champions League: 2011–12
UEFA Europa League: 2012–13

Nigeria
Africa Cup of Nations: 2013
2016 Summer Olympics : Bronze Medal

Individual
FIFA World Youth Championship Silver Ball: 2005
African Young Player of the Year: 2005, 2006
Chelsea Young Player of the Year: 2007,[87] 2008

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

We are blinded by the fact that Cole had such a great time at Arsenal prior to Chelsea, that makes him a football legend, but in no way is he a greater Chelsea legend than Mikel. If you do think so, then skill and talent is all it takes to become legendary.

I genuinely don't know what to say. Our opinions on "legend" could not possibly be further apart.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@tuan_jinn I'm just saying, its ok to have an opinion on your own without having to worry to be called a fool or delusional by one of your fellow fan. Of course I don't consider him a legend myself, but I think its ok for any Chelsea fan who respected him to call him however he want, thats all I'm saying. Beside, if you look at the link inside Eden17 post, 81% of 1094 person (most of them being Chelsea fan no doubt) consider him a Chelsea legend. If there is anybody who can say if a player should be considered something or not, it should be their fan. I'm not saying that he will ever mark the memory like Drogba or Lampard did but still, people got the right to their opinion.

• History

@tuan_jinn I'm just saying, its ok to have an opinion on your own without having to worry to be called a fool or delusional by one of your fellow fan. Of course I don't consider him a legend myself, but I think its ok for any Chelsea fan who respected him to call him however he want, thats all I'm saying. Beside, if you look at the link inside Eden17 post, 81% of 1094 person (most of them being Chelsea fan) consider him a Chelsea legend. If there is anybody who can say if a player should be considered something or not, it should be their fan. I'm not saying that he will ever mark the memory like Drogba or Lampard did but still, people got the right to their opinion.

KanyeWest 7 years ago
Real Madrid, United States 0 56

Of course he is a Chelsea Legend...I know no Chelsea player before 03 when I started to sympathize them. He is one of the few that have lasted a long time and since I know nothing of Chelsea's history or football in general then he is a legend. - This is what I read when people say he is a legend.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Nah come on mate ! You are going to make comparison of Ashley Cole contribution to the club with Mikel ?

come on i don't want go further but i see it as a huge disrespect to even compare Mikel contribution with Ashley Cole ! Did you miss all the years he played for Chelsea ? Mikel should thank uncle Cole that he won those titles mate !

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Ashley Cole is a million times the player Mikel was, no doubt about that. I just think that Mikel making more appearances, winning more titles and staying for a longer time needs to be included. We wouldn't have won the titles we won without Ashley, he is the best left-back I have ever watched week in week out, and his impact on the pitch was far greater than Mikel's. It's just that for me the impact they make off the pitch is equally massive, if not orchestrates the impact the player's make on the pitch.

Mikel never complained, or protested against managers. He was never in a bust up or brought the club into disrepute. We saw last season how important the off-field environment is to the success of the club. When Mikel was dropped to the sub role, he never argued, never pushed for a transfer, just continued to work hard. He's a true professional who remained loyal for ten seasons. That for me is legendary.

I'll leave it at that because neither of our opinions seem like changing. One thing's for sure, fans of opposition clubs have no say in who is a club legend for us.

amir_keal 7 years ago Edited

, a legend should leave a long lasting impact, a short of a legacy, do a lot more than just a loyal servant player...

So let's answer this, would ibrahimovic be a legend for PSG? He is already a missing impact.

And what about the so called smaller sides? What do you think of them.

a good/decent player, play for a club a reasonably long time, did his job and be nice. ALREADY qualified as a legend.

Not necessarily to be honest, I didn't say Mikel was a legend, but he was a great player for Chelsea. That's more like it. Also, club legend and footballing legend are two totally different things. To me, the next generation will not talk about Lampard, Terry or Cole. But Chelsea fans will, and remember him as a legend for their club. You say the word legend shouldn't be abused, but in the terms of club legends, that could be the case.

• History

, a legend should leave a long lasting impact, a short of a legacy, do a lot more than just a loyal servant player...

So let's answer this, would ibrahimovic be a legend for PSG, He is already a missing impact.

And what about the so called smaller sides? What do you think of them.

a good/decent player, play for a club a reasonably long time, did his job and be nice. ALREADY qualified as a legend.

Not necessarily to be honest, I didn't say Mikel was a legend, but he was a great player for Chelsea. That's more like it. Also, club legend and footballing legend are two totally different things. To me, the next generation will not talk about Lampard, Terry or Cole. But Chelsea fans will, and remember him as a legend for their club. You say the word legend shouldn't be abused, but in the terms of club legends, that could be the case.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Why would the next generation not talk about Lampard, Cole, or Terry?

Lampard - one of the greatest midfielders of his generation. Came second in Ballon d'Or voting once, testament to his talent
Terry - one of the finest defenders the EPL has seen
Cole - one of England's greatest full-backs and one of the best full-backs of his generation

You can even throw in Cech (one of the best keepers of his generation) and Drogba (one of the greatest African players ever). I think we will be talking about them for quite the time to come.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Dynast Drogba! Best Chelsea legend for me! :D Also, Franck was really good and knowing how smart a guy he is, he propably got a shining managerial career infront of him if he so desire. ;D

KTBFFHSWE 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

To me, the next generation will not talk about Lampard, Terry or Cole.

Whaaaat. These guys would get into the world XI had they been in their prime..