Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Guardiola: Sensationally Overrated?
Amerr30 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Has anyone changed their minds regarding Guardiola recently - especially following the City and Liverpool QF tie?

I know this has been discussed here over and over again, and we all know where everyone mostly is with regards to their views of Guardiola, but the more time goes by, the more people like myself and those who think he's overrated are proven right.

Has anyone jumped fences?

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Amerr30 He does all well season and no one say anything. He lose 3 games against two of his biggest rival, everyone say he is overated. So no, I won't jump the fences. Don't get me wrong, Pep is not a genius but he is still a solid manager and his playstyle can be quite good most of time. If his player workrate drop however, he can be punished, thats what happened for City for me. Lets not forget his team was better in at least one half of two in each of the 3 games.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Amerr30 He does well season and no one say anything. He lose 3 games against two of his biggest rival, everyone say he is overated. So no, I won't jump the fences. Don't get me wrong, Pep is not a genius but he is still a solid manager and his playstyle can be quite good most of time. If his player workrate drop however, he can be punished, thats what happened for City for me. Lets not forget his team was better in at least one half of two in each of the 3 games.

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

nah, but anyone thinking City would win UCL was more likely just dreaming.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

chill, give him time then you can judge, even ferguson needs another season 07/08 for ucl after securing the epl 06/07. you need luck too to win ucl.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@quikzyyy Yeah, we just didn't expect Liverpool to be the team to get them out. :P

liomessi10 6 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

he's not overrated. i think man. city's performance was excellent until liverpool scored. they contained liverpool and were lethal in attack. they had chances. also that disallowed goal.

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Nah, he is a fantastic coach.
While people praise Mourinho for getting a few minor cups and 2 or 3rd places, others criticize Pep for not winning it all.
You can't say the coach of one of the best football teams in history of the sport is overrated. Simple as that. Pep makes every team he manages play great, you just can't win it all every season.

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Pep makes every team he manages play great

give every manager 200M to spend every year and then it will be fun.

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

He is exceptionally good at winning leagues due to his ability to dominate weaker teams, but struggles to win knockout ties. Personally, I find it due to his tactical rigidness. His teams only ever play one way (heavy possession and high pressing), so he cannot adapt his playing style to the opposition.

Rather, it is always the opposition who is able to adapt that always beats Guardiola in knockout stages (Ancelotti and Enrique abandoned possession in favor of counter-attacking, Mourinho and Simeone built teams that are generally very physical and imposing and tactically interchangeable, Klopp gambled on running at Guardiola's vulnerable defense).

I will say, however, that Guardiola was very unfortunate to lose in 2012 and 2016. Messi missed a crucial penalty in 2012 and Griezmann's away goal in 2016 was clearly off-side. Although I suppose it balances out since they were very fortunate to go through in 2009 against Chelsea and almost rode their luck again in 2010 with the Motta red card.

10 1583

@dynastian you are right he is stubborn in his own style, but that what makes me fan of him. even when people say tiki taka is dead, he just doesn't change lol. spot on about ancelotti and enrique. just to add pochetino is actually another adaptable manager but his team let him down really in that last16. but when it comes to most stubborn, no manager can beat ARSENE WENGER.

Pupper 6 years ago
Juventus 0 214

give every manager 200M to spend every year and then it will be fun.

Manchester United.

He is exceptionally good at winning leagues due to his ability to dominate weaker teams, but struggles to win knockout ties.

Agreed completely. A shame his teams never seem to reach their expectations in the CL for the last few seasons. Especially with City is a huge failure, knocked out by Monaco and now trashed by Liverpool (no disrespect to any of the teams).

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Best league coach in the world.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Yes. Another year and once again it is shown why. Talk the talk walk the walk. People like to talk and argue but Pep proves my points with his seasons and performances. All out there for everyone to see or ignore because it shatters their illusions and aura that was build during Barcelona years. Although even during those two CL victories barcelona had some very questionable matches on the route to final but history is written by the victors so no one cares how one wins it.

10 1583

@marcus, I respect your opinion but what's annoying is that people bring up money spent vs failure which is not on point. scouting have improved a lot these days and talented players are highly priced. In order to compete in ucl, you need good players no matter what style the team plays. sometimes academy is lacking and there is a need to spend. if there is not enough spendings, it's pretty much a give up on the season --> conte.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Thebaldgenius Oh, Conte, if he only he could have spent how much he wanted. :(

But yeah, I guess its a good explanation of what Pep is, great coach to dominate weaker team but can fail against tough rival because of he doesn't change his tactic based on his opponent. Dynast explained it the best for me.

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Exactly what Dynastian said tbh.

He can't win every match with same strategy. Except, you know, like every midtable or below team. He should learn to adapt because he will never gonna win CL again with same tactic.

Klopp knew that and not just won, but dominated Pep with team much worse than his (except frontline). When Pep tried to change stuff, City played better, he really needs to take more risks, especially with players this good like KdB, Silva and Sane.

He's still one of very, very top coaches in the world.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

City and PSG have same syndrome, feel underpressure while playing CL. Their owners want the trophy that bad and both clubs shoke each time they have a chance.
I won’t be categorical about Pep not changing tactics, he does that regularly, problem is that he gets outplayed once his triangular passing is denied, which demands big concentration from rival and huge tactical work.
He adapted vs Barca despite loosing 3-0 with Bayern at Camp Nou, half of his starters were injured and only a 78th long range shot of Messi turned things In Barca’s way.
This season, City 3-0 in first leg was too harsh, got denied a valid goal and seen Liverpool awarded and offside goal which means a lot. City second leg was then disappointing but Sane/Sterling were not up to expectations, how many CL winners he has on the squad ? Danilo ?
You could argue so is Liverpool but then reds have nothing to loose, Klopp is the best Cup coach in the world with Simeone. Their records with limited budget are impressive.

Now if you ask me, is Klopp a better coach than Pep, of course yes. Is Pep an average coach ? Absolutely not. Won the PL SAF way and a quarter final for a team whose best record in the competition is one semifinal thanks to favorable draw... it’s not that bad afterall.
City has only 5 PL titles, getting extra PL means a lot for them. I would have played Bernardo Silva instead of Sterling personally.
Imo getting into conclusions about Pep is unfair, how many clubs have a better coach right now ? 2,3 or 4 ? Means that he is Top 5 overall and for me. Top 1 as league coach, his results speak of themselves...

matrix 6 years ago
Arsenal, England 3 268

^ thing is burned Silva did play...

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Look at what he has won, and you will not say he is overrated.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Dyn: Agree with Dyn, and I feel like Pep's plan B often slow in crucial games.

He's really good with building team's identity!

I also agree with tiki_taka's statement here:

This season, City 3-0 in first leg was too harsh, got denied a valid goal and seen Liverpool awarded and offside goal which means a lot. City second leg was then disappointing but Sane/Sterling were not up to expectations, how many CL winners he has on the squad ? Danilo ?
You could argue so is Liverpool but then reds have nothing to loose, Klopp is the best Cup coach in the world with Simeone. Their records with limited budget are impressive.

In games like this when you need to be at your 200% best. Ref's decision might change the outcome massively!

Saying Guardiola overrated is silly!

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Well you didn't need this season to know how much overrated he is, last season was enough, this season he just proved it once again. Overrated he has been in the last 3-4 years I dare to say.