Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Guardiola: Sensationally Overrated?
Amerr30 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Has anyone changed their minds regarding Guardiola recently - especially following the City and Liverpool QF tie?

I know this has been discussed here over and over again, and we all know where everyone mostly is with regards to their views of Guardiola, but the more time goes by, the more people like myself and those who think he's overrated are proven right.

Has anyone jumped fences?

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Golazo What are you on about, he won the premier league! How does that make him overated. And don't even throw the "he spend tons of cash" argument. Technically speaking, some of the player he buyed barely played, most of his key player were player he already had like Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero, Fernandinho, Sterling. It take a good manager to bring out the best out of his player even if they are world class. Heck, if all it take was having the best player then Real should be winning La Liga, because technically speaking they got the best team in spain, propably in europe as well. Yet look at them, they had a terrible La Liga season despite all their talent.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

@emo he is just a pep-hater, even I don't call mourinho overrated after man utd vs sevilla game.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Emo So did Mancini,Pellegrini after outspending the rest of the league, winning the league in his second season is not impressive considering how much money Man City invtested, in comparison Conte won the league in his first season + has now went into 2 FA cup finals.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@What a hater. Lost word. No reason to waste word with this guy.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@What a hater. Lost word.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Tuan Yeah, at this point, he just going to repeat same stuff again and again anyway. :( Won't even try to argue with him. Its becoming a lost cause. :(

10 1583

talks about money and conte couldn't get the player that he wants which means he needs money. all big clubs in the world needs to spend to compete in ucl lvl, mbappe cost 166 mil pounds today, cristiano ronaldo cost 12 mil pounds when he moved to utd in 2003. skillful players cost a lot today and no matter what tactics big clubs need good players. if there is no spend, it's pretty much a give up on the season. -->conte . I am pretty sure conte is not hired to dominate FA cup, might as well hire wenger.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

How about starting by some real talk instead of just saying how he simply can't never be overrated just because he won the league? Because I posted that others have won the league just like him before but they were not seen as some genius managers, have some deeper insight of the game and reflection of the past, winning the league with Man City was almost expected after spending so much money, he got trashed in CL for the second year now, at some point you will need to reflect on other things that he has done, he won the league with Bayern as well but that still didn't make him so special compared to what he has done in Barcelona.

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

If you actually look at his Barcelona years, his CL runs were rather lucky too.

2009: Barcelona 1-1 Chelsea (won on away goals)
2010: Barcelona 2-3 Inter
2011: Barcelona 3-1 Madrid
2012: Barcelona 2-3 Chelsea

From the results, Barcelona were just about at equal strength as their opposition. Guardiola has never been good at knockout games, but rather the two times he got fortunate enough to reach the final has made a false impression on people that he conquers Europe.

Mind you, the first tie against Chelsea was the famous "It's a f--king disgrace" game where they scored in the dying minutes of the game, and the third tie against Madrid was the infamous Dani Alves play-acting that got Pepe sent off. Both times Barcelona got by either through cheating or through suspicious refereeing. Not to mention that the same thing almost happened again vs. Inter with Busquets diving to get Motta sent off.

Guardiola did thoroughly beat United in the final both times, though. It just seems that he's not good at two-legged ties.

10 1583

not just won the league but win it with big gap, goals and style. "were not seen a genius" lmao, how many football fans praise conte's back 3 last season. with the same amount of money, if it was not pep, it still wouldn't work, city would not play the style of football they play today. he don't spend all the money to buy flashy forwards like mbappe or neymar, there is a reason to why he spends on fullbacks, because he already had the tactics in mind. you never know what happen next season, maybe mourinho might won it. you always change things to be better than your opponent who is also changing. yes he had not been successful enough at bayern but tony kroos sale has been a deciding factor. imagine psg just pay the release clause for kdb? would you still say city were as strong as before. you can't use money to argue against what pep has achieved because so does psg, madrid, liverpool, man utd had to spend big because of today's market value and to stay top.

10 1583

lucky? so does real madrid against atletico in the final. you need luck to win ucl not just good players. so I wouldn't use luck as an excuse to look down on leicester, madrid, barca and pep's achievements.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Mind you, the first tie against Chelsea was the famous "It's a f--king disgrace" game where they scored in the dying minutes of the game, and the third tie against Madrid was the infamous Dani Alves play-acting that got Pepe sent off. Both times Barcelona got by either through cheating or through suspicious refereeing. Not to mention that the same thing almost happened again vs. Inter with Busquets diving to get Motta sent off.

I ignored the fashion which made Pep the "genius" I only stated the facts, he was labaled as a genius after what he did with Barcelona and ever since then people still think the same even when he is obviously not capable of repeating the same victories, not with Bayern, not with Man City.
And that's why I choose to compare him with Mancini, Pellegrini that also won the title with City and call him overrated, I'm not going to take away what made him a genius but I am very capable of seeing the fact that he is doing much less with Man City even after investing 900 million pounds in 2 seasons, Klopp got Salah and 1 defensive player to boost his team and he sold Coutinho and still trashed Man City.

If he had won Liverpool and was in the semi-final now, I would have waited till the end of CL year because like I said in the past, if Man City was to win CL I would also say that Pep is a genius but he didn't do it.

10 1583

nah, I can't judge pep just by 2 season. as much as I can't say conte is a failure because he didn't get into the top 4 and lose to pochettino. klopp's tactic is a perfect counter vs pep's tactic simple as that nothing to do with money. I still would wait another 2 season before judging. ferguson took time too to build his dynasty of carrick, rooney, ronaldo, tevez, vidic so I would give the same time to pep, only time will tell. "doing much less" lol. do you expect him to be wenger and not invest anything into his aging backline like zabaleta and kolarov? rubbish argument.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Look at what he has won though. PL and League Cup amazing. FA cup bad but not the most important. CL not that bad because really it should have been closer than it was. 5 1 wasn’t that reflective.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

nah, I can't judge pep just by 2 season. as much as I can't say conte is a failure because he didn't get into the top 4 and lose to pochettino.

Well you don't need to, others might and have the right to do so, as much Pep did well this season in the league Conte failed and is getting fired by the look of things and that's how it goes right or wrong.

do you expect him to be wenger and not invest anything into his aging backline like zabaleta and kolarov?

Last season he played Kolarov at Centre-back, huge mistake and Kolarov is still not that bad he is one of the best players in AS Roma this season but ofc at his natural position as a left full back.
The point is that Pep got every single player he wanted, if Wenger had bought all that defense of Man City I wonder how his fate would have been now. Pep was also going for Alexis and Mourinho hacked the deal just to stop him, as much as you can say that it was expected for Man City to bring a lot of new players, the same expectations then apply when talking about their league title.

It's no secret that many just want to see Pep winning CL again, when he does that there will be no argument against him.

10 1583

"conte failed" are you serious? more like chelsea board failed him. come on, he is failure just because of this season, fans like you make chelsea sack and replace manager every season. pep has his tactic and you can't criticize his playing style because his system works in epl. he played kolarov as centre back because he try different things, that's his way. not every manager should park the bus. off course everyone wants to see their fav manager winning ucl, but I don't go hating others. pep was going for alexis but why didn't they pay him then? pep is not really going for alexis. fair enough, you have your own judgement and so do I.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

"conte failed" are you serious? more like chelsea board failed him. come on, he is failure just because of this season, fans like you make chelsea sack and replace manager every season.

It's not me that is going to replace him, it's Roman, fans don't decide at all as you know it.
The board only partially failed Conte, he did get some of his targets like Morata,Zappacosta and Rudiger joined mostly because of him as well, same like Emerson.
For Chelsea not getting in top 4 is a failure, but I myself wouldn't like Conte to go as I have said it in the past, even so I feel that once he lost the top 4 he was out.

he played kolarov as centre back because he try different things, that's his way. not every manager should park the bus.

That has nothing to do with parking the bus, it's a big error which cost him a loss to Monaco last season in CL.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago Edited
10 1583

fans have a say and don't back it up sums up your opinion for the sacking. morata is never the target, he wants lukaku and get outbid which means argument about who spend more useless. managers can have big error just like klopp in europa years ago, conte vs barca this season.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

nah not enough, just as bias as you are towards conte's failure this season. there is improvement so I am still looking forward to the next season

fans have a say and don't back it up sums up your opinion. yeah nothing to do with money either

fans have a say and don't back it up sums up your opinion for the sacking. morata is never the target, he wants lukaku and get outbid. yeah argument about who spend more useless. managers can have big error just like klopp in europa years ago, conte vs barca this season.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

It has little to do with fans it's mostly Chelsea's way of dealing with things, a lot of fans including myself want a manager for the long run as that's the only way to start playing the academy players that are among the best in the country but the club by sacking managers very easy makes it very hard for any new manager to try out new young players from the academy since he has no time and needs to get results first.
Conte is a great manager he proved it but the club is not extending his contract, that has little to do with what the fans think.

The whole PL thought that sacking Ranieri from Leicester City was wrong but the club still did it knowing how the reaction would be, thats how little fans have a say in.

I agree that his errors have nothing to do with money either but with the money he got Laporte,Mendy,Walker,Danilo,Stones which makes him less likely to commit a blunder, that's how it works.

10 1583

little to do with what the fans think? no one back him up to stay, all the passion last season is gone to bin. the fans support abramovich more than conte in that sense. pep guardiola plays with risk and sometimes defence suffer that's just how it goes, the fact that his defence has been great in epl this season is mainly due to his high line tactics and inverted fullbacks and it works and wins the epl so it doesn't make him overrated or underrated either. liverpool is the only team to counter city this season you have the other 19 teams, so I wouldn't call him overrated just because he failed to beat one of the 20 lol.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

The players and fans backed up Conte this season a lot, I don't see any evidence where the opinion of fans mattered in these cases, like I pointed out Ranieri sacking was criticized by everyone in the league and they still did it regardless of any possible backlash, Wenger got sacked now after Arsenal playing their worst season in years, before that no matter what fans thought he wasn't getting sacked because he was getting Arsenal in a good position in the league, this is why Conte isn't getting an extension he failed to get Chelsea into top 4.
Like I said, most Chelsea fans would like to see Chelsea with a stable manager that can have enough space and time to bring in some academy players and create a new team for years to come but it looks like it's not going to be with Conte.

But on topic, I explained why Pep is overrated for me, it's due to his history after Barcelona. Winning the league is great, Conte did it as well last season but this season the same tactics didn't work, lets see what Man City does next season because it's much harder to defend the title compared to winning it. For me him winning the title doesn't make him more impressive than Conte,Mancini,Pellegrini.