Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Guardiola: Sensationally Overrated?
Amerr30 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Has anyone changed their minds regarding Guardiola recently - especially following the City and Liverpool QF tie?

I know this has been discussed here over and over again, and we all know where everyone mostly is with regards to their views of Guardiola, but the more time goes by, the more people like myself and those who think he's overrated are proven right.

Has anyone jumped fences?

Comments
the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

conte failed to get chelsea to top 4 because the board can't manage a good transfer window to compete with other teams. if conte would have been given another season and chelsea have a good transfer window, he would make chelsea in the top 4. yes, you can't play the same tactics every season but his back 3 isn't outdated either, the players let down the formation in general. I am cool with your opinion about pep and hopefully you won't bring up money spent as an argument.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Well even if everything went perfect for Chelsea, I doubt we would be able to fight for the title this season anyway given how superior Man City was, but if Conte got into top 4 maybe Chelsea wouldn't be so silly to sack him and would extend his contract.

matrix 6 years ago
Arsenal, England 3 268

Yes he is

liomessi10 6 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

^couldnt help upvoting lol.

mancitydude 6 years ago
Manchester City, England U20 B 4 244

He's absolutely incredible, his style of play dominates everyone in the league, but knockouts are harder, with more pressure on. Must agree he dosn't do so well in them.........can't beat tiki taka

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Conte won the league before Pep, also FA Cup, also did a mini transformation of english football with his tactics.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golazo True, but thats not what the discussion is about. :P

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Golazo111

Conte won the league before Pep, also FA Cup, also did a mini transformation of english football with his tactics.

Pep won EFL and CL which Conte didn't, what's your point? Also, it's not like Pep didn't transform English Football, because he did.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Conte transformed it too. Teams started to play with three at the back because of his sucesful tactics

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Another 100 pts season, and hater would get out of excuses... cant beat him in league consistency, unless you have Madrid squad + Mourinho, which happened only once in 4 years. Madrid needing 100 pts to win....

who will get 100 pts next season ? Chelsea ? United ? there is no contest on a league basis, his record is astonishing once he gets his marks in club.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Pep won EFL and CL which Conte didn't,

No he didn't, he lost against Monaco and Liverpool in the knockout round of CL, why do you bring up now what he did outside of the Premier league?

it's not like Pep didn't transform English Football, because he did.

I don't see how, overspending and playing possession football was not invented by him at all...

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golazo Pretty sure Conte didn't invent playing 3 at the back either though. He did manage to make effective in the PL, similarly to how Pep made possession football effective this season. Both are great manager in their own right but both got some huge short-coming in my mind. Pep had to overspent (even though most of his key player were brought mostly the season before) and Conte made some mistake with his off-field management (sending off Costa with so little ceremony despite him being key to winning the league and then replacing him with Morata).

For me Pep is overrated, especially if you call him a genius, he is however a very solid manager, on similar level as Klopp and Mourinho. Conte is similar but what he really deserve more credit than Pep is for the speed at which he adapted to the PL and gave winning mentality to his team.

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

So, I want to ask, what makes him overrated really? He played with Cruyff at Barca and was a very good midfielder himself. There is where he learned and played the style he has coached once retiring from playing.

He coached at Barca B then took over for the senior team. We all know their style of play and he held that tradition. Most importantly, he was able to keep the locker room happy, and with the players he had, that is no small feat.

He then moved to Bayern and eventually City. Winning titles all over the place and staying true to what he thought was the best football style to play. If anything, he had more to learn at Bayern given their player base and how they liked to play, yet remained successful.

So, is he overrated due to having taken teams that were already world powers or had money to burn? Why would any organization pick a coach with little experience to run their team looking for every trophy they can play for? Clearly they saw something in him. Clearly he gets his players to play for him.

No way is he overrated, but he is not the greatest manager ever either.

Its saying a professional player or a professional coach sucks, when we are sitting in our homes, arm chair barking at the screen. Not every player can be a Messi or Ronaldo, but they are professionals because the made the team and must be good enough at the very least. Same for coaches. Players and coaches are vetted and scrutinized like crazy.

Just when you think you are making some headway, someone else sees something different and it can take you back to square one. Fans are the best but also the worst.

I shake my head when people can so easily criticize yet have nothing in their own background to be able to justify their choices.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Jezzzz, the point of Pep over spent is ridiculous.

How many world class player before and after Pep arrive in each club? How many potential stars he has converted into a true star? How many rejects he has made to become the top class players...

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

^Specially when he brought 4 players from Barça B to first squad making them regular players ( Piqué - Busquets - Pedro - Sergi ), his first treble has nothing with any spending, he made a player score 92 goals a season getting him into optimal conditions and it wasnt the strongest Messi.
he didnt spend much until joining City, but then again he had incompatible players to play modern Football, John Stones and Co i knew he would change them all specially the aging ones Kolarov and the argentinian RB... He had to rebuild, its a market problem regarding his team not a budget problem...

Mou from 2009 to 2012 at Madrid bought More players, impossible to do in actual market. and imo City overpays because they dont give a F about pricetags and clubs know it. So over spending was never reason to Pep Success on a league basis...

He can improve on cups i agree, if we talk about league, he is the best. Klopp is the best cup coach with Simeone and Mourinho as third for me.

Waiting to see, Allegri changing club, because what he does on league basis is incredible too...

tawqir 6 years ago
Arsenal, Jamaica 4 548

Klopp isn't a great cup coach. He has lost like 4 out of 5 finals

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Klopp is great, until the final. Also I don't think Klopp has any finals at all. Also Mourinho certainly isn't a cup manager, there's about 5 managers better than him, I'd rather have Pep over Mou in cups too.

Golazo111

No he didn't, he lost against Monaco and Liverpool in the knockout round of CL, why do you bring up now what he did outside of the Premier league?

To prove he isn't overrated. We don't take into account a manager at his present club to form that conclution. Wenger is the greatest manager at AFC, but he's been shit for like the last 5 years. Doesn't mean we forget his past, like going unbeaten in the hardest league in the world.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

To prove he isn't overrated. We don't take into account a manager at his present club to form that conclution.

The main reason why people point out that Pep is overrated is because of his past achievements.
He was unable to replicate what he did with Barcelona at the time of their best ever generation that was at the same time the best ever Spanish generation, look at how many anonymous managers won pretty much everything with that same Barcelona and before and after that they dissapeared from the scene, Pep is the only one that continued his job at the top level.

He could have stayed in Barcelona but chose to leave for Bayern, where he showed massive weakness as a coach.
Now in Man City he won the league at his second season, but so did a few other managers before him so that alone doesn't make him stand out.

This is why people don't buy into the narration that Pep is a genius with no flaws, but I did say before that if he was to win the CL again with Man City I would stop calling him overrated, he could have eliminated Liverpool but he failed super hard so it's all about if Pep can retain the title with City and take them to the very next level in European football.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@tawqir Reaching said final is a feat in itself, but yeah, he is pretty unlucky when it come to finishing the job, then again, to be quite sincere, you have to concede he mostly end up being on the under-dog side of thing. :(

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

Lol chelsea fan talking about overspendings. You spend according to your tactics simple af. Its not as if conte didnt spend a dime. Look at how madrid spend to be european champion today. Yet no one complains including professor economics wenger.