Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

How do they determine ties in the World Cup?
T1lt3d 6 years ago
5 897

Lets say in the coming fixture, Argentina win 2-0 and Iceland win 1-0, they will be tied for 2nd and 3rd in every way, so how will they decide?
Goal Difference: Same (-1)
Head to Head: Same (1-1 Draw)
Alphabetical?: Argentina go through but surely that not fair
Most Goals Scored: Argentina go through

How will they decide?

Comments
quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Here are the tie-break scenarios for rankings in the groups:

1. Greatest number of points
  2. Goal difference in all group matches
  3. Goals scored in all group matches

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:

1. Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned

2. Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned

3. Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned

4. Greater number of points obtained regarding fair play conduct (yellow cards = -1, indirect red card (as a result of a second yellow card) = -3, direct red card = -4, yellow card and direct red = -5, with only one of the deductions applied to a player in a single game)

5. Drawing of lots by FIFA
SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Drawing of lots by FIFA

Can you even imagine

T1lt3d 6 years ago
5 897

Thats dumb. I think the best way would be to schedule another game to determine who goes through, but that would be strange also.

expertfootball11 6 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

It already happened in women's football, 2013 or something. Denmark vs Russia. Denmark won by drawing lot, disgusting, isn't it ?

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

let's be real, what are even the odds of the last choice? I doubt we will see it, but if it happens, it will cause big controversy for the team which will go out.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Atm Spain are first because of 1 less yellow card. Imagine if Morroco and Iran win 1 0 and Spain gets a yellow card, there will be a draw, Will feel so sad for the team that go outs, but if Ronaldo goes out after 'superb' world cup and Messi goes through after 'poor' world cup, there's no better feeling for Messi fans than that. Would be ironic and funny, but I don't think that will happen

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I think a few years ago, Lyon beat Ajax to a spot in the Round of 16 CL because they had higher UEFA points. I think if everything matches, then a 50 50 draw would be better than some point system.