Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

How FA Cup Changes Or Mistake Backfire Arsenal And Chelsea In Third Round
247sportalert 6 years ago
Rosenborg, Nigeria 10 24

Arsenal's decision to make nine changes to their side for the FA Cup backfired as they were dumped out in the third round by Nottingham Forest. Arsene Wenger kept just two players in his starting XI from the one that drew with Chelsea on Wednesday and they paid the price as the Championship side
ran out 4-2 winners at the City Ground.

That followed the trend across the weekend for Premier League teams, who tended to struggle after making a raft of changes, with several forced into replays.

Chelsea also made nine changes at Norwich on Saturday tea-time and they laboured to a 0-0 draw, meaning they are facing an extra fixture.

Leicester made eight changes before drawing with Fleetwood, as did Bournemouth as they were held by Wigan, while Swansea made six in the 0-0 draw against Wolves.

The five teams averaged eight alterations from their most recent league line-ups, while the nine Premier League teams who won their cup games changed 4.89 players on average.
Tottenham and Huddersfield were the exception as they both made eight changes but won.

One of the three surviving players for Spurs was Harry Kane, who bagged two goals in a 3-0 win over AFC Wimbledon, while the Terriers beat Bolton 2-1.

Overall, top-flight teams changed around half their line-ups - the average number of changes was 5.61 as managers balanced up the demands of pursuing a cup run and keeping players fresh.

Friday night's Merseyside derby focused Liverpool and Everton's priorities and ensured both played strong teams, though they made six and five changes respectively, Liverpool handing a successful debut to £75m signing Virgil van Dijk, who headed their winner.

On Saturday, Gary Cahill and Tiemoue Bakayoko were the only Chelsea players retained from Wednesday's dramatic draw with Arsenal as Antonio Conte gave the likes of Danny Drinkwater, Kenedy and Michy Batshuayi an opportunity against the Canaries.

Swansea's changes may have been influenced by recently-appointed manager Carlos Carvalhal wanting to run the rule over his new squad, with Wilfried Bony, Leroy Fer and Wayne Routledge among those recalled. Carvalhal will have another chance after a goalless draw with the Championship leaders.

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

On Chelsea though, I thought a draw wasn't such a bad results, of course, it mean more game but at least, they are still in and if I understood it right, next game will be played at Stamford Bridge, no? If thats the case, then it should be a piece of cake.

As for Arsenal, its dissapointing of course and once again, they been blighted by penalty call. Its really annoying to see. But when you think about it, it ain't easy to beat the two-time european champion Nottingham Forest. XD

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

On Chelsea though, I thought a draw wasn't such a bad results, of course, it mean more game but at least, they are still in and if I understood it right, next game will be played at Stamford Bridge, no? If thats the case, then it should be a piece of cake. As for Arsenal, its dissapointing of course and once again, they been blighted by penalty call. Its really annoying to see. But when you think about it, it ain't easy to beat the two-time european champion Nottingham Forest. XD

fabryi 6 years ago
Arsenal 37 727

you can't be surprised with the Wenger selection, Arsenal has played 11 matches in 5 weeks and now it's Chelsea 2 days away from now and then Bournemouth at sunday, which makes it 13 matches in 6 weeks. Then you ask why are teams from other league in much better shape when they have holiday why EPL got such a full schedule without any break.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Arsenal can't really complain about those pens, especially considering how they got their first goal. As for Chelsea, the annoyance there Emo is that they're going to have to play another midweek fixture, which makes it tougher on the their overall schedule.

There isn't really a ton of difference between the EPL and the Championship. Rarely do teams come up and go right back down. Right now, the promoted teams are in 11th, 12th, and 13th place in the table, respectively. If those teams can come from the Championship and in one year become mid-table premier league sides, it shows that the teams that will follow next season have a comparable circumstances.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Most teams use heavy squad rotations at this time of the year if they can, specially in the cup matches.
It may be a mistake but never an excuse for not winning or losing.

fabryi 6 years ago
Arsenal 37 727

sun, you're right, arsenal can't complain about the result, but they have every right to complain about 2nd penalty which was a double touch meaning it's it's a foul and not a goal.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash Yeah, I guess you are right about Chelsea, however, I remember watching the first half of the game and considering Chelsea wasn't really able to control the game as much as they should, I still think a draw is better than being eliminated.

As for the difference between PL and Championship, I agree, the difference get smaller and smaller. Though I don't if its because Championship team are getting better or simply because the PL team get weaker with time. :(

@fabryi Heard as much, that penality shouldn't have counted if thats true. It suck to see ref not being better than what they currently are. :(

OnceABlueAlwaysABlue 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 5 211

For Chelsea... it was a big disappointment that game.. and very underwhelming!...

When you look at the line up that started the game, there were definitely the ability to win that game by 2 or 3 goals... but chelsea totally under performed. For alot of the players it was a chance to prove themselves to Conte.. especially Batsman, Drinkwater, Zappa, Luiz.. We just lacked urgency and attacking threat in the first half and were way to slow on the ball... didnt look for passes to open Norwich up. Second half was a bit better but not much... even when Willian looked the only lively one... very disappointing!

Credit where its due however Norwich played pretty well and could have won with a bit more lethal finishing..

538 11426

@OnceABlue Willian was really good but he tried way too much to me. Made so many first touch pass who were too hard for Bats to control well. For me, Chelsea should have played more on the wing. Norwich looked solid in the middle and they were no way to break trough with Bats in front. :(

• History

@OnceABlue Willian was really good but he tried way to much to me. Made so many first touch pass who were too hard for Bats to control well. For me, Chelsea should have played more on the wing. Norwich looked solid in the middle and they were no way to break trough with Bats in front. :(

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

@fabryi

I don't know about pens, but I know for goal kicks and free kicks and what not that a double touch just means a re-take, which he probably scores again anyway. I recall Joe Hart did it against QPR a few years ago and Charlie Austin scored, and that's what happened.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Reading that through and actually doing a short piece of research on it, that you are correct Emo. It's a rule that really shouldn't be applied though, because that's obviously not what it's intended to prevent - it's intended to prevent the player dribbling into the net. Maybe something like the term "deliberate touch" might be helpful there, but it certainly needs a re-work.

To summarize, technically the correct call, but the rule is not in place to stop what happened. Since nearly every other instance of this happening anywhere else on the field (which is why I assumed it was the same for PKs) calls for a re-take, I'd suggest the rule be looked at.

Good rule, bad wording and implementation issues.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash Thats actually quite interesting. Thanks for sharing your thought, I suppose they would need to clarify what ref should do in this kind of situation instead of leaving it open to interpretation that much.

247sportalert 6 years ago
Rosenborg, Nigeria 10 24

Honestly i submit i have a lot to learn from you guys thanks for sharing @SunFlash and @Emobot7

538 11426

@247sportalert You're going to make me blush. :D But more seriously, even I am more of a apprentice when compared to people like Sun who got lots of real life experience with football. My only advantage is my good memory. ;)

• History

@247 You're going to make me blush. :D But more seriously, even I am more of a apprentice when compared to people like Sun who got lots of real life experience with football. My only advantage is my good memory. ;)