Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Is Wayne Rooney a legend?
MrGoooool 7 years ago
Liverpool, Mexico 27 580

Before u attack me with your hate comments, let me clarify.

I know I am a Liverpool fan and you would think the intention for this forum is to hate on Wayne Rooney. Well that isn't the point, the reason for this forum is to ask u Man u fans, is Wayne Rooney a legend? Not only Man U fans but to other fans from different teams, The reason why I ask this is because some Man U fans say he isn't while others say he is. My opinion is irrelevant since I am the one making the forum. Let me list some reasons he is and isn't a legend

reasons why:

• Won a lot of trophies
  • Became Man U's top goal scorer of all times
  • Had memorable moments, brings nostalgia to the fans.
  • English lol
  • Lasted 13 years with Man U

Reasons why not

• Took the piss out of the club by requesting two transfer request, in which one of them, Wayne Rooney wanted to go to Man City. This makes Wayne Rooney look like he was only in Man U for the money.
  • You can say he was carried by his teammates but I am not sure because I didn't see him during his prime.
  • Unloved at the end of his Man U career.

Well there is some more reasons why or why not he is a legend. I want to hear ur opinion about Wayne Rooney, Is he or is he not a legend?
I can see Steven Gerrard jokes coming soon. You know who you are.

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I would say no based on two main reasons:

He was NEVER a fan favorite.

He was never the best player on the team.

That first one is the more important one tbh. There were fans that loved Rooney, no doubt, but the fanbase as a whole didn't love him the way they did so many other players. Even when we did love him, it was in a "f*ck you says Wayne Rooney" kind of way. I have no doubt people will point to his longevity, but many other players, Giggs, Neville, Ferdinand, etc played as long or longer for United than he did. Wayne Rooney's best case as a United legend is that he was consistently very good. At the end, he wasn't even that.

You, for very different reasons, or even the same ones, may come to the opposite conclusion, this is a subjective matter. Only time will tell.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Never the best player on the team? So who exactly was the best player on United from 2009-2012? Who exactly was the man when Ronaldo left? A washed up Paul Scholes? Edwin van der Sar? 35+ year old Ryan Giggs? Or perhaps you mean Nemanja Vidic, a defender who was a Premier League POTY in 2011 (after Wayne Rooney won it in 2010) but then went on to only muster up 10 appearances in the following season?

Gento was never the best player on the team. Still a legend. Xavi was never the best player on the team. Still a legend. Neither was Iniesta, or Eto'o, or Drogba, or Raul.... but they are all still club legends.

It's ludicrous to claim Rooney isn't a club legend. He's the last truly world-class Brit, and has performed at the top level for so long at Man United. He's probably the best second-striker we've seen in the last decade (I can't think of anyone else at that position except maybe Totti in the early 00's?).

16 trophies in 13 years in Manchester United, with top-scorer honors on 253 goals... how does that not scream "legend" to people? United were lucky to get Ronaldo and Rooney at the same time. It's a damn shame that only one of those two players gets the appropriate respect from United supporters.

The only people who should be having difficulty in believing Rooney is a legend are kids who have not been watching football for very long.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

The reason he stopped playing well near the end was because his injuries robbed him of his quickness, which was what he was notorious for in his youth, and managers f*cking around with him in different positions. He was being played as attacking mid, center mid, and everywhere else but not in the role that he excelled in: a free role behind the striker.

Rooney wreaked havoc when he was allowed to roam free. He's like T. Muller - a player who doesn't exactly have one fixed position, but can cause a ruckus when he's allowed to roam all over. What happens when you fix him to one position? He doesn't have the same effect on the build of play.

Rooney did do well when Sir Alex asked him to be pure forward (I think he banged in 34-35 goals that season in 2010), but even that is unreasonable to ask of him when he's aged and slow. He was a misused lad in his later years at United, and I feel frustrated that fans hate him for it when it's not even entirely his fault. Look what happened to Muller this season under Ancelotti's system. Sometimes players like that just don't fit with new managers.

He may not be a legend of the game, but he's by and far a British and Manchester legend.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Yes he is a legend but Manchester United has many so it's not like he is among the top 3 nor anything like that.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

As I said, subjective. Wayne Rooney tends to make emotions flare one way or the other throughout fans.

I guess the way I'm seeing it is that I don't consider someone like Van Nistelrooy to be a United legend, despite him leading the line (and goal tally) for five seasons. Tbh, I'm not sure Rooney ever led United in goals for five seasons, in fact I doubt it. What made Rooney great was tenacity, will, and staying power. Those are great, but don't make a player a "legend" in my mind. Rooney doesn't even have that single moment that won United a CL final or something. Inestia won a world cup, that will make him a legend forever. Ronaldo has had the telling kick of the ball in two finals now. Ditto Messi. Those are the moments that make you legends of the game. As for legends of the club, Rooney doesn't have an Aguero moment either.

Like I previously said, this is totally subjective. Arguing about it is largely pointless. I guess the bottom line for me is that 20, 30 years from now, people won't remember Rooney the way they remember Ronaldo/Beckham/Giggs/Cantona etc. He was a mainstay in the most successful period of club history. I suspect that'll be as far as it goes. No one's naming a stand after him, that's for damn sure.

iHEARTfootball 7 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

@SunFlash, I don't think you speak on behalf of what "most" United fans think. Rooney was an icon for United, much like how Messi is for Barcelona and Ronaldo for RM. He's been a fan favorite since the day he joined United, and he still was a preferred starter up until he started to become less lethal at the start of 2011. Rooney, to me, is what defined the peaks of Premier League football, and the fact you tried to compared him to Aguero is quite comical really...

Rooney is a legend. End of.

nigelpayne 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 15 484

When I clicked on this my first thought when I saw the title was to post a short 'there is no argument - he is a legend', however reading through I can see that there are actually some valid reasons for him not to be classed this way even if I don't share those views. I think the longevity of Rooney's career at one club is remarkable when players he started out with have been to 2 or 3 clubs since. Obviously the main reason why he is a legend is because he scored so many and assisted so many goals. He is one of only three players in the premier league ever that has over 100 goals and assists. The other two players have already ended their careers! Not to mention all the trophies he won as captain of united. The argument about him leaving for city and likes is very feeble as is the one about him being at united for money only. Firstly players threaten to leave all the time without the intention of actually doing so. In the latter years Rooney's lack of playing time has seen him make a bit of movement to arouse attention. That is normal especially at his level of football. So money. Quite honestly if he wanted money he would have taken the numerous offers from China he has received over the past couple of years. Instead he stays for as long as possible and them moves to his start-up club with a reduction in his wage. So, okay in his latter years Rooney's form may have been dropping off somewhat but Legends aren't temporary. Rooney became a legend during his 20's. So he will always be a Legend. Whatever happens after he has become a Legend does not take away from his Legendaryness if that is even a word! I noticed comments about him not being loved by the fans. This is definitely not true. Every United fan loves Rooney for what he did for the club. It's just that in latter years success was more important than sentiment and there were better players than him in the team. So overall I think it's pretty clear I think he's a legend.

legends16 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, England 39 783

Good post btw, @MrGoooool

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I used to think not, but over the time and his contribution grew, I do no :(

I miss his work :(

• History

I used to think not, but over the time and his contribution grew, I do now :(

I miss his work :(

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Ultimately, time and fans decide Golazo. Not the club, or whomever runs their website.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

But he is a part of Manchester United's good history and he's english. I think that the majority of the fans in England would consider him as one of the clubs legends, not as big as Giggs and Sir Bobby but a legend still, you mentioned van Nistelrooy if he is or isn't well I think Rooney is above Ruud if you were to ask the fans.

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

The only people who should be having difficulty in believing Rooney is a legend are kids who have not been watching football for very long.

enter image description here

• History

enter image description here

KTBFFHSWE 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Any player that can stir up a discussion like this is likely a legend really. Jokes aside, there's a reason to why most people that follow football know the name Rooney. Legend. As simple as that.

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

One of the first footballers I knew so definitely a legend in my eyes.

Lacazette 7 years ago
Arsenal, England 0 27

I don't believe so.

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

Yes, he is a legend without a doubt.

Let me put it this way: Wayne Rooney is much better at football than David Beckham was/will ever be. And yet, David gets soooo much credit and is easily given a "legendary" status. Don't get me wrong, much respect to David Beckham, but he was more successful as a model/marketing Icon than a footballer.

DarthFooty 7 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

Club legend for sure. Not the best the team has ever had but still a legend for the team. I tried to like him as I watched him play. I looked for what I can justify as a "favorite" for me, but I never saw it. Sure he has the scoring record and he has scored some timeless goals, but still.......... As a striker, playing that long, with what United usually feilds in quality, he better be up there in scoring!

legends16 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

Perhaps a legend for Man U because of his goal record. However, true legends are only legendary because there is no debate about their legendary status. The fact that we are even discussing it and having doubts means he can't be a true football legend. Imho.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@legends16 Well, first off, we fans ourselve disagree between us what is a legend, some will say its a title reserved for the most loyal and those who were the most consisted while some other argue that legends are only the best player who were directly responsible for winning silverware and being key player for a long time. Anyway, as long as we don't agree on a definition for what is a legend, then of course us fan cannot agree wether or not some player are one. Heck, I'm sure you'll even find some people who say Ronaldo isn't a Real Madrid legend for exemple. :U