Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

John Terry - a legend, time to say goodbye
tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

This Sunday might be his very last game...

One year ago we had a thread discussing his future, and this year, we talk about it again except we know that he is leaving Chelsea for good.

Terry started again, and played full 90 mins against Watford, he reminds us why he's a legend and at the same time why it might be the time for him to leave.

Terry scored another goal which marks his 17 seasons to score for Chelsea, only Lampard (18), Choles (19) and Giggs(21) could do better.

His presence on the field is still feel like the leader Chelsea has always wanted... Despite, Watford went on and scored 3 goals, which one was from his mistake... His age might not allow him to stay on top of the game week in week out anymore... He is still great though.

Chelsea appreciates him, still very much do, the fans too. It's LOVELY. They offered him another year contract but Terry has decided to leave. He wants to leave as a legend, not a burden. May be it's for the best.

“I never wanted to be that player, the kind who hangs about, and who people can’t wait to get rid of,” he said. “I think the transition for myself, being on the bench and seeing it from a different aspect, has served me well and will serve me well if I go into management in the future.

Thanks legend.

After Sunday, he might retire from football. And we all shall miss him sorely.!
enter image description here

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

This Sunday might be his very last game...

One year ago we had a thread discussing his future, and this year, we talk about it again except we know that he is leaving Chelsea for good.

Terry started again, and played full 90 mins against Watford, he reminds us why he's a legend and at the same time why it might be the time for him to leave.

Terry scored another goal which marks his 17 seasons to score for Chelsea, only Lampard (18), Choles (19) and Giggs(21) could do better.

His presence on the field is still feel like the leader Chelsea has always wanted... Despite, Watford went on and scored 3 goals, which one was from his mistake... His age might not allow him to stay on top of the game week in week out anymore... He is still great though.

Chelsea appreciates him, still very much do, the fans too. It's LOVELY. They offered him another year contract but Terry has decided to leave. He wants to leave as a legend, not a burden. May be it's for the best.

“I never wanted to be that player, the kind who hangs about, and who people can’t wait to get rid of,” he said. “I think the transition for myself, being on the bench and seeing it from a different aspect, has served me well and will serve me well if I go into management in the future.

Thanks legend.

After Sunday, he might retire from football. And we all shall miss him sorely.terry

Comments
Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11426

Goodbye Terry, I missed the best moment of his carreer, but it certainly doesn't change the respect I have for him, even if he was sometime kind of a prick outside of the pitch. All the best to him and will hope he succeed whatever he chose to do. ;)

PS: If he doesn't want to end his career yet, he would be welcome in the MLS, especially in Montreal. :P

• History

Goodbye Terry, I missed the best moment of your carreer, but it certainly doesn't change the respect I have for him, even if he was sometime kind of a prick outside of the pitch. All the best to him and will hope he succeed whatever he chose to do. ;)

Goodbye Terry, I missed the best moment of his carreer, but it certainly doesn't change the respect I have for him, even if he was sometime kind of a prick outside of the pitch. All the best to him and will hope he succeed whatever he chose to do. ;)

PS: If he doesn't want to end his career yet, he would be welcome in the MLS, especially at in Montreal. :P

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

PS: If he doesn't want to end his career yet, he would be welcome in the MLS, especially in Montreal. :P

I was going to say the same thing :D He is always welcomed in Süper Lig. I would love to see him play for Antalyaspor alongside Eto'o next year. It would be awesome.

Always loved him defensive play and game style. Even though some of his attitudes on and off the field were not the best but he is a club legend. And I have a special place for club legends.

SoccerBoss 7 years ago
Barcelona, Russia 34 804

Im just here anxiously waiting for Pepe to announce his retirement. Oh boy, FR is gonna go down in tears.

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

Rather go to china than mls tbh.
Surely gonna miss him, absolute legend!
Hope to see drogba, terry and lamps back at chelsea in a coaching role in the near future.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@Chelsea8 Lampard as manager and Drogba and Terry as coach, maybe? Or Lampard as director, Terry as manager and Drogba as manager of the young team? Something like that would be sick. :D

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

MLS clubs are beyond ignorant if they don't think Terry is valuable.

I think what he deserves more praise for is his reason for retiring. He understands the flow of time in football, and wants to give the youngsters a chance to develop. He wants somebody to get used to playing CB for Chelsea on a regular basis, and possibly grow to be the same quality of defender that Terry was in his prime. Great awareness from Terry, I gotta give him props for that.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

MLS clubs are beyond ignorant if they don't think Terry is valuable.

You are beyond ignorant if you think he is.

You need some semblance of pace to play in MLS, as everyone from Rafa Marquez to Andrea Pirlo has proved. Terry has horrible relations with the American public, and no club in MLS these days is going to pay a 36-year old defender more than the 350k that would make him a DP. The only club that would even be possibly stupid enough to do so would be NYCFC, but they don't have an open DP slot.

Name one quality that would make Terry an MLS success and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

He completely respected Conte choices and was pretty okay with his bench role. He also gave an emotional interview to William Gallas mid season saying he'd rather see Chelsea win the title rather than play. Kept professional and is clearly helping zouma like Marcel Dessailly did with him when he was 17.

I don't really judge him as a Man, no matter what could be told about him, he remains a real man wich is rare nowadays. But the player is a Legend. He is à one club player and a Legend for his club.

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

@SunFlash

Leadership, experience, and being a top-class defender even to this day. There, I named you three qualities.

• History

@SunFlash

Leadership, experience, and being a top-class defender even to this day.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Leadership is good, but it doesn't directly win games. Experience from Europe in MLS is often meaningless. A top-class defender even to this day is a stretch and we all know it. Besides, he could be the best tackler on Earth, but he isn't going to catch anyone in a league that relies on physical ability just as much if not more so than technique.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash He should join the same team Drogba joined recently in exchange for owning a part of the club. Later on, they could buy it back together and try to turn it into a succesful club. :D

tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@all: yeah his troubles with ladies seem stupid :( But beside that. An absolute legend.

@Sun & @Dyn: Im with @Dyn here, his leadership, game reading and positioning are better than most MLS' defenders. His pace is a problem, but can be covered by a young strong defender. with a good CDM he can control the distant and make a beast of a defending system. EPL problem? YES. MLS problem? I dont thing so.

And may I remind you, he's a goal scorer too.

His problem is mainly the wage. I think that's going to stop him, and @SunFlash is right at one point, his reputation off the field and public relation with the American might not be that good. The team wouldnt risk that in case they have to pay a shit load of money for his salary

Saying MLS doesnt need him is arrogant. He will help to makes the sport stronger there, he will bring media, fans, attention. That's something a regular player can't offer off the field.

• History

@all: yeah his troubles with ladies seem stupid :( But beside that. An absolute legend.

@Sun & @Dyn: Im with @Dyn here, his leadership, game reading and positioning are better than most MLS' defenders. His pace is a problem, but can be covered by a young strong defender. with a good CDM he can control the distant and make a beast of a defending system. EPL problem? YES. MLS problem? I dont thing so.

And may I remind you, he's a goal scorer too.

His problem is mainly the wage. I think that's going to stop him, and @SunFlash is right at one point, his reputation off the field and public relation with the American might not be that good. The team wouldnt risk that in case they have to pay a shit load of money for his salary.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash

Saying MLS doesnt need him is arrogant.

You heard that Sun, your an arrogant badger, how that make you feel. :P

enter image description here

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Saying MLS doesnt need him is arrogant. He will help to makes the sport stronger there, he will bring media, fans, attention. That's something a regular player can't offer off the field.

That's what every Euro fan says about the old stars who come here and flop. The number of mid-30's stars who actually did well in MLS is close to zero. For every Drogba, there's4 or 5 of Lampard/Marquez/Pirlo/Frings/Defoe/Cahill/Gerrard/De Jong.

Paper is one thing. The failed track records of players who objectively brought more to the league then Terry and still failed hard convinces me far more than any theoretical point in this thread will.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

He is going there to retire, not to play. These players aren't asked to perform but to show an example of European professional level, tricks, tactics.... No one expects a +35 yo player to be Player of the season.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

He is going there to retire, not to play.

And MLS teams have smartened up towards that, and that's why no one wants him.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

No one expects a +35 yo player to be Player of the season.

And yet the league is so trash that David Villa, a who was physically incapable of playing in Spain anymore, was contesting their MVP award. He's 35 years old too. :')

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

Lol lampard got slated and then banged in goals for fun, mls is a retirement league.
Mls will keep trying to buy old players in europe because of the shirt sales they make and because let's face it people would rather watch an old legend play football than some mediocre players.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Lampard barely did anything in two years for NYCFC. 2 games where he scored shouldn't discount his horrific time there - and it doesn't. David Villa has been a general exception to the rule, but his MVP award was incredibly unpopular with nearly the entire league fanbase backing Giovinco. Journalists drink the same koolaid as you lot, apparently.

Mls will keep trying to buy old players in europe because of the shirt sales they make and because let's face it people would rather watch an old legend play football than some mediocre players.

I suppose that's why out of all the current DP's in MLS, only 10 of them are over 30, and of those 10, Dempsey/Beasley/Edu/Howard are American and would be here regardless of age due to their nationality. The only other 30+ DP's who are from European league are Kaka/Pirlo/Villa/Giovinco/Piatti/Higuian.

I suppose Moralez counts here too. This article sums up the new DPs in MLS that began this season, and even a quick scan will tell you that aging Europeans are not where the MLS money is going now.