Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Keep rivalry or support league/country?
nandaYNWA 7 years ago
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

with manchester united playing ajax in the europa league final, an interesting question was raised as i looked at the comment section of the preview.

some people support united (these people being fans of other english teams), while some keep rivalry and hope that they lose. this obviously includes united trolls, whose opinions i am not including in this.

so when a team that would typically be a rival in any other instance plays in the later stages of a competition, do u support them?

personally, i keep the rivalry. i know people will mention coefficients etc but i dont want to see united win trophies hahaha and i assume the same is true of united fans not wanting us to win trophies

did any united fans support us in the europa league final last year?

Comments
iHEARTfootball 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United 38 1000

Really depends on the team. Although it says in the book that Liverpool and our club have a fierce rivalry, I personally don't have any beef against you guys as I never grew up experiencing the intense rivalry myself (other than the Evra-Suarez incident).

If you guys were in our position right now, I wouldn't mind supporting you to win the finals. However, if it was a team like Chelsea, then that's a different story

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Really depends on the team. Although it says in the book that Liverpool and our club have a fierce rivalry, I personally don't have any beef against you guys as I never grew up experiencing the intense rivalry myself (other than the Evra-Suarez incident).

If you guys were in our position right now, I wouldn't mind supporting you to win the finals as this is more a nation matter than just the club. However, it was a team like Chelsea for example, that's a different story..

DarthFooty 7 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

I can see me supporting a rival team only in a few cases, but I voted "Keep rivalry."

The very few cases would be a team playing another that I dislike even more than the rival, or say a rival MLS team playing against a Mexican team for any reason.

I don't hate Mexicans or Mexico as a people/country, but I will never support them in Footy. NEVER! :P

nandaYNWA 7 years ago

@iheartfootball did u support liverpool in the europa league final last year? i get what u mean as well by not having that fierce rival between our clubs that manchester and liverpool born fans have. but ive grown up surrounded by family and friends who are crazy about united and everton, so its transferred to me ;)

@darth is it an irrational dislike haha? but i get what u mean. i dislike some teams who i wouldnt support in a final, but if they were playing everton or united then id support them

DarthFooty 7 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

@nandaYNWA I have had my share of games against Mexican teams and let's just say, I have scars. haha The people, on the other hand, are awesome. Great food, very friendly and family oriented.

nandaYNWA 7 years ago Edited

fair enough :p

i just realised u were a united a fan. same question i asked iheartfootball, did u support liverpool last year in the europa league final?

• History

fair enough :p

iHEARTfootball 7 years ago Edited

@nanda, wait, you guys were in the Europa league finals last year? lol.

• History

@nanda, you guys were in the Europa league finals last year? lol.

nandaYNWA 7 years ago

yes hahahaha. its all good man, i forgive u for not knowing. it is forever in the shadow of the champions league ;(

iHEARTfootball 7 years ago

@nana, haha yeah I just searched it up; you guys were in the finals but you guys lost. All g though, you guys have a chance again!

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

I feel bad not supporting other English teams, but the rivalries are just too strong to be doing that. Obviously I was rooting for Leicester in the CL this season, and was hoping United could do something in the CL the season Moyes took them to 7th, because I honestly felt sorry for their fans, but generally, I find it too difficult to actually root for other English teams, unless they are playing a club like Barca or Real who are enjoying way too much success :P

I knew exactly what I was going to vote for in the poll, but I thought that I would be the only one so I was hesitant xD. I went with my honest answer then I saw that the four people before me had all voted the same way :P

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Depend on the team. But I tend to support EPL's or Dutchy fellow teams

liomessi10 7 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

if it's real i would never support them, but lets say if it was atletico against any other team i would support them unless its at barca's expense

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

I only support chelsea, why the hell would i even support any other team lol, i rather support a mls team than united.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Since the EPL needs European success pretty badly, I tend to root for English teams in Europe with the exception of City and Liverpool because I just can't. Support is a really strong word for it though.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

always keep the rivalry.

JuanMata10 7 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

I support English teams all the way to the final (UEFA coefficient) and then hope that they'll lose :D

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11426

@JuanMata Even when its Chelsea, right? :P

Not that I care about UEFA coeficient that much myself, but if you rival can win in europe, its show how tough they are and by the same occassion, how tough you must be to stand against them. Right now, half of the football world doesn't seem to take english team seriously anymore because of their tendency to choke in europe and for me, its a bad thing for the whole league, its send an image of teams that are so obsessed with their own rivalry, the money they spend and the big name they have that they can't seem to find the motivation to compete in europe with the other best team in the world. Am I the only pissed about the image english side are sending to other league? :(

• History

@JuanMata Even when its Chelsea, right? :P

Not that I care about UEFA coeficient that much myself, but if you rival can win in europe, its show how tough they are and by the same occassion, how tough you must be to stand against them. Right now, half of the football world doesn't seem to take english team anymore because of their tendency to choke in europe and for me, its a bad thing for the whole league, its send an image of teams that are so obsessed with their own rivalry, the money they spend and the big name they have that they can't seem to find the motivation to compete in europe with the other best team in the world. Am I the only pissed about the image english side are sending to other league? :(

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I REALLY hope Ajax can beat United. I don't care about UEFA or England reputation, if your own team does the job then you can filter yourself out of that reputation.

Ajax is the rightful team to get to the final and will certainly give United the highest challenge.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

Ajax is the rightful team to get to the final and will certainly give United the highest challenge.

That we can agree on, similarly, United will be Ajax toughest challenge yet.

JuanMata10 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

Well @Emo. A part of me does want United to win as well, because if they fail to do so, some La Liga fans will spam this forum with comments like "LOL English teams can't even win the Europa League hahahah such a joke lmao" and frankly, I'm tired of this di.ck-measuring contest between fans of those two leagues.

But on the other side.. screw United, if they lose there's no way Griezmann would sign for them as they'll be stuck in Europa League once again

• History

Well @Emo. A part of me does want United to win as well, because if they fail to do so, some La Liga fans will spam this forum with comments like "LOL English teams can't even win the Europa League hahahah such a joke lmao" and frankly, I'm tired of this di.ck-measuring contest between fans of those two leagues.

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

A lot of us Chelsea fans are also hoping that Bertrand Traore makes an impression, which will most likely come through an Ajax win.