Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Manchester United Sign Romelu Lukaku!
TheGame 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United 104 1380

Manchester United just announced the signing of Romelu Lukaku. According to the official website:

"Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has agreed a fee with Everton for the transfer of Romelu Lukaku. The transfer is subject to a medical and personal terms.
A further announcement will be made in due course.
"

I think this signing will definitely make us more of a threat up front, since scoring goals was a huge problem last season. Another central midfielder signing to adequately replace the losses of Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin would make us title challengers. I still don't think we are title favorites (that honor belongs to Spurs and Liverpool currently), but depending on the transfer window it's still a possibility. The fixture list is in our favor, no doubt and Mourinho has shown that he is capable of rotating the team well enough during times of fixture pile up.

My current strongest line-up is as follows:
enter image description here

Feel free to post your own or comment on how we will fare this season. Oh and sorry Chelsea fans, but Lukaku looks better in red ;)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Manchester United just announced the signing of Romelu Lukaku. According to the official website:

"Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has agreed a fee with Everton for the transfer of Romelu Lukaku. The transfer is subject to a medical and personal terms.
"

I think this signing will definitely make us more of a threat up front, since scoring goals was a huge problem last season. Another central midfielder signing to adequately replace the losses of Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin would make us title challengers. I still don't think we are title favorites (that honor belongs to Spurs and Liverpool currently), but depending on the transfer window it's still a possibility. The fixture list is in our favor, no doubt and Mourinho has shows that he is capable of rotating the team well enough during times of fixture pile up.

Feel free to post your own or comment on how we will fare this season.

"

I think this signing will definitely make us more of a threat up front, since scoring goals was a huge problem last season. Another central midfielder signing to adequately replace the losses of Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin would make us title challengers. I still don't think we are title favorites (that honor belongs to Spurs and Liverpool currently), but depending on the transfer window it's still a possibility. The fixture list is in our favor, no doubt and Mourinho has shown that he is capable of rotating the team well enough during times of fixture pile up.

Feel free to post your own or comment on how we will fare this season. Sorry Chelsea fans, but Lukaku looks better in red ;)

"

Feel free to post your own or comment on how we will fare this season. Oh and sorry Chelsea fans, but Lukaku looks better in red ;)

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

How many of you actually watched Drogba at the age of 24 though?

The French league was worse then than it is now and Drogba didn't have half the goalscoring record Lukaku did by that age despite being in an easier league. It's a reasonable conclusion. Even if we were to ignore that, his first two seasons in the prem, he scored 16 goals both times. Respectable, particularly as Chelsea won the league both years, but that's a tally similar to Giroud, it's nothing special. Considering Lukaku has scored more than 20 in his last few seasons on a worse team, facing harder opposition, it seems fairly rational.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Drogba at 25 played Uefa Cup final, at 26 he was in first 11 in Chelsea winning the league.

Lukaku did nothing big so far, totally different career paths and not comparable, how Drogba was just 2 years older before he joined Chelsea didn't stop him from becoming one of the clubs legends.

Lukaku spent 6 years so far in the Premier League and only winning 1 FA cup, nobody with half a brain working would pick him over Drogba at any time.
Drogba didn't need to change clubs when he came to the Premier League he went directly to establish himself as the main striker.

For all we know if Drogba joined Chelsea sooner he would have just taken his chance sooner while Lukaku is still to do half of the things Drogba did.

People need to realise that being a target man for one club and scoring to keep the team in top 7 doesn't equal scoring to win the league.

Lukaku needs to walk the walk now in a big club as he didn't prove anything yet, just because he's 24 doesn't mean he will actually become what Drogba was, he has his own path, he was discovered MUCH sooner than Drogba but was unable to do big YET.

Cristiano Ronaldo also came to the Premier League at 18 years old just like Lukaku but by the time CR7 was 24 he was already leaving for Real Madrid after winning everything in England, Lukaku spent 5 years not being capable of being at a big club and even back then he had the potential but did nothing with it, I must repeat myself, there is no guarantee that Lukaku will be better than Drogba.

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

Most people here think stats is everything, and most of the people here started watching football very late.
Back then it wasn't about statistic, it was about football where teams would play as teams and players were not selfish to stat pad.
There is a reason why people see players like bergkamp, drogba, phenomeno (had great stats too), zidane, inzaghi, makelel , gullit, and the list goes on... as the greates players. Why? Because you had to watch them play to know how great they really were, if you look at the stats of those players then you would think they were bang average.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Lukaku spent 5 years not being capable of being at a big club and even back then he had the potential but did nothing with it, I must repeat myself, there is no guarantee that Lukaku will be better than Drogba.

Lukaku was perfectly capable, and even worse, knew that. That's why he forced a move from Chelsea, and spent the last 2 seasons trying to force one from Everton. It's really Mourinho's fault for not playing him at Chelsea to being with.

If there is a re-occuring theme we've seen often from prospects at major clubs the past few seasons, it's youngsters not getting chances and forcing moves to teams where they'll actually get playing time. See: Lukaku, Pogba, Keane, etc

It's not like people didn't know he would be good. Guy had an 88 potential on FIFA 12 when he was 18 years old. Not that FIFA is really worth citing, but it shows how people felt about Lukaku.

amir_keal 7 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

What has Drogba even got to do with Lukaku going to United?

• History

What has Drogba even got to do with Lukaku going to Chelsea?

AlexBatak 7 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

The record £75m signing, the one and only. Didier Lukaku, the man. the legend. the myth. Way to go.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Alex

First game, and a preseason game at that, so I don't generally read too much into those.

His hold-up play was actually pretty impressive, although his finishing was poor. Kind of the opposite to what every Evertonian told me to expect.

AlexBatak 7 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

@SunFlash He will score 35+ goals this season and in 2-3 seasons when he wins the Ballon D'or, Real Madrid will buy him for 160 m. However, I still think Rashford is better than him. That kid is really good just like Dele Alli.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Lukaku was perfectly capable, and even worse, knew that. That's why he forced a move from Chelsea, and spent the last 2 seasons trying to force one from Everton. It's really Mourinho's fault for not playing him at Chelsea to being with.

And now he bought him back for 75 mil, not sure who fooled who in that deal, the manager that didn't trust the player and couldn't care less to lose him or the player that was uncapable of proving himself...

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Actually he wasn't so bad. Strong and showed he could link up with players. But definitely not the kind of touches a 75mil. player should have. Looked buffy and clumsy at times, basically he just looked strong.

It's his first game so let's not draw any conclusion here.

Marcus2011 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Sometimes lodatz just like to pull info out of his magic hat . I won't get into further argument because someone who claims speaking facts needs fact checking himself . THere were days when I would waste my time and fact check sht out of your "facts" but not anymore . Anyways , Hey we get it Drogba used to ** Spurs ;)

• History

Sometimes lodatz just like to pull into our of his magic hat . I won't get into further argument because someone who claims speaking facts needs fact checking himself . THere were days when I would waste my time and fact check sht out of your "facts" but not anymore . Anyways , Hey we get it Drogba used to rape Spurs ;)

Sometimes lodatz just like to pull into our of his magic hat . I won't get into further argument because someone who claims speaking facts needs fact checking himself . THere were days when I would waste my time and fact check sht out of your "facts" but not anymore . Anyways , Hey we get it Drogba used to terrorize Spurs ;)

(Emobot Edit: Please watch your language, don't use r-word. :P)

Sometimes lodatz just like to pull into our of his magic hat . I won't get into further argument because someone who claims speaking facts needs fact checking himself . THere were days when I would waste my time and fact check sht out of your "facts" but not anymore . Anyways , Hey we get it Drogba used to rape Spurs ;)

Sometimes lodatz just like to pull into our of his magic hat . I won't get into further argument because someone who claims speaking facts needs fact checking himself . THere were days when I would waste my time and fact check sht out of your "facts" but not anymore . Anyways , Hey we get it Drogba used to ** Spurs ;)

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Sometimes lodatz just like to pull info out of his magic hat"*

What, like stuff you can easily verify for yourself? Sure. I mean, you could offer some details about why I'm wrong, but, meh we both know you won't.

THere were days when I would waste my time and fact check sht out of your "facts" but not anymore

Oh, you mean those times when you realized I was right, but couldn't admit it because you lack the integrity? Okay, but I really don't know why you're getting so personal. Do you just hate it when I'm right? Did you hate it when I was the one defending Chelsea for years?

So stfu, and take whatever this nonsense is elsewhere, because I am neither rattled nor impressed by it.

Hey we get it Drogba used to ** Spurs ;)

It's cute that you think I care. By the way, I didn't actually say a single thing to diss Drogba. You all just threw a tantrum about Lukaku. It was very revealing. :)

Btw, kudos to Sun and others.

• History

Do I? Are you sure about that?

Please do let me know... ;)

Do I? Are you sure about that?

Please do let me know... ;)

What, like stuff you can easily verify for yourself? Sure. I mean, you could offer some details about why I'm wrong, but, meh we both know you won't.

THere were days when I would waste my time and fact check sht out of your "facts" but not anymore

Oh, you mean those times when you realized I was right, but couldn't admit it because you lack the integrity? Okay, but I really don't know why you're getting so personal.

It's cute that you think I care. By the way, I didn't actually say a single thing to diss Drogba. You all just threw a tantrum about Lukaku.

It was very revealing. :)

Oh, you mean those times when you realized I was right, but couldn't admit it because you lack the integrity? Okay, but I really don't know why you're getting so personal. Do you just hate it when I'm right?

It's cute that you think I care. By the way, I didn't actually say a single thing to diss Drogba. You all just threw a tantrum about Lukaku.

Oh, you mean those times when you realized I was right, but couldn't admit it because you lack the integrity? Okay, but I really don't know why you're getting so personal. Do you just hate it when I'm right?

Did you hate it when I was the one defending Chelsea for years? Shut up, and take whatever this nonsense is elsewhere.

Did you hate it when I was the one defending Chelsea for years? Shut up, and take whatever this nonsense is elsewhere, because I neither care nor am impressed by it.

Oh, you mean those times when you realized I was right, but couldn't admit it because you lack the integrity? Okay, but I really don't know why you're getting so personal. Do you just hate it when I'm right? Did you hate it when I was the one defending Chelsea for years?

So shut up, and take whatever this nonsense is elsewhere, because I am neither rattled nor impressed by it.

So shut up, and take whatever this nonsense is elsewhere, because I am neither rattled nor impressed by it.

It's cute that you think I care. By the way, I didn't actually say a single thing to diss Drogba. You all just threw a tantrum about Lukaku. It was very revealing. :)

TheGame 7 years ago

Not bad

Lodatz 7 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

These ones too:

I'm worried about facing you lot, now. :p

TheGame 7 years ago

Haha well it's going to take a lot, considering that solid and, seemingly impenetrable lilywhite defense. Spurs conceded 26 goals last season. The last time a PL team conceded less than that was during the 08/09 season when both United and Chelsea conceded 24. And mind you that was at the height of the Vidic-Ferdinand partnership where I believe Edwin van der Sar also set a league record in consecutive clean sheets. I mean that's almost a decade ago. Very impressive. But one can hope ;)

KTBFFHSWE 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Zup fellas. Interesting discussion going on. But you need to stop making each other cry. Lukaku has the potential (if things go perfectly for him in the coming years) to compare with Drogba. Right now, it's really hard to compare a player that is in the middle of his career with a player that is by most people considered a legend and has basicaly finsihed his. With that said, Lukaku is a brilliant player which is evident from his goal scoring abilities.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

@ktbh

No one doubts that Lukaku is a very good player .

Argument made was that at this age Lukaku is better player than Drogba was at his age . I simply said that one may have better stats ( which is just more goals )but I don't think that is the ONLY merit to judge a striker/player . If we go by that then like @chelsea said , Lampard was better player than Zidane . I HIGHLY doubt that .

Come on lads read the thread and go to wikipedia or google it , don't be shy to read about how they have grown up to this age of 24 , what they have won and how much impact they have made in their respective clubs ))

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232
nigelpayne 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 15 484

It's funny to see the general disapproval of lukaku from Chelsea fans ever since he moved to united when they were so eager to get him back to the club just a couple of weeks back :D

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

I don't think anyone was eager for lukaku to be back at Chelsea tbh and i was kinda glad we didn't sign him.
We have been linked to morata, aguero, belotti and aubameyang and i think they are all better than lukaku.