Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

**Quick Poll** - Was the Morata disallowed goal vs Manchester United wrongly given for offside?
legends16 6 years ago Edited
Chelsea, England 39 783

This goal from Morata was disallowed for offside.

enter image description here

Image cred @freeloops from http://footyroom.com/matches/79940783/manchester-united-vs-chelsea/review

Offside definition from FA:

A player is in an offside position if:

• any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

enter image description here

Image cred @freeloops from http://footyroom.com/matches/79940783/manchester-united-vs-chelsea/review

Offside definition from FA:

A player is in an offside position if:

• any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Comments
quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

clearly onside, then you will see dozens of United fans disliking and commentating stop crying and this and that.

this forum became such a joke where any comment is taken as a hate or crying due to supporting different team.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Clear goal.

liverpollfcangryfan 6 years ago Edited
Liverpool 41 419

united always win by luck

• History

united always win by lucky

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Was he offside? I'm honestly not sure. The angle showed above is one look, a secondary one is this.
: one is this

His arm and shoulder are certainly offside, but they don't matter. Part of his chest/ass look to me like they're offside, but that's my United bias showing through I would imagine.

The real question (since we didn't have VAR lul) was if the referee made the correct decision. I wouldn't contest it either way. As shown from the picture I linked, the linesman doesn't have a view of exactly when the ball is kicked because Matic is in the way. Lindelof is also stepping up, and Morata is very obviously toeing the line by his body language. As a result, regardless of if it was offside or not, it looked offside to the linesman, and he made the call accordingly. As a result, I believe the call be be not only within whatever margin of error is acceptable, but also that that gets called offside more often than not.

Another thing to consider is what happened in the aftermath. I'm not entirely convinced that if it's not called Morata still scores, because United stops playing, and the referees whistle goes before the shot is taken. Lindelof and Bailly would certainly be going a lot harder if they saw the referees were letting it go. De Gea still makes an effort (as a keeper that's just a point of pride to keep the ball out of the net) but since Atkinson's whistle goes prior to the shot, he might not be going 100% either.

As for those calling for VAR, I would refer back to the Mata goal WHERE HE WAS OFFSIDE, even if it was only an inch of his knee. Assuming that's the margin VAR is working with (which is consistent with what I've seen in MLS) there's certainly a case for an inch or so of Morata's torso being offside, which VAR would have noticed. Alas, no VAR, so we work with the human judgement of the linesman, which I find to be acceptable.

But I'm a United fan, so don't take it as canon. If this had stood as a goal (which it may not have given the aftermath point) I wouldn't have complained either. Whichever way it was called, it stands to me as acceptable, I cannot expect a human to make the judgement.

Regardless, the assistant was sure, and certainly no one appealed to hard in the moment (commentators, players, coaches or otherwise). It looked offside, and I find it hard to find fault with the referees as a result.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

It’s onside but really tight, can’t really blame assistants for that mistakes

legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

Agree about it being tight for the assistant ref, but nonetheless I believe clarification should be achieved in the interest of fairness, and also in relation to the debate about the introduction of VAR. I believe a decision like this one strengthens the case for VAR. If we had VAR the ref would have allowed the goal and then let VAR clarify whether it was offside or not, which I believe would then have affirmed a (in my eyes) correct decision to award the goal.

My opinion is that his body is clearly behind the line, his arm is in front but arms don't matter, and his shoulder is on the line, therefore it is not offside.

In summation, the only part of Morata which is closer to the goalline than Lindelof's foot is his arm, which does not constitute offside. For that reason he is onside.

SunFlash 6 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

If we had VAR the ref would have allowed the goal and then let VAR clarify whether it was offside or not, which I believe would then have affirmed a (in my eyes) correct decision to award the goal.

I hope you don't mind if I disagree. The Mata decision made VAR priorities very clear, it can be the very tip of a patella or the very edge of an ass, it's offside all the same. In addition, because the whistle went before the goal, it was NOT a disallowed goal. We can't sit here and pretend like it was.

My opinion is that his body is clearly behind the line

If his butt/torso is onside, it's by a millimeter, and I'd need a better angle to confirm that. To say that it is clearly onside is simply fiction. If I was in VAR making a decision on this, I'd call it offside with the angles I have. Hell the picture you linked yourself shows that the tiniest bit of Morata's ass is offside. You say his shoulder is level, and I think I agree, but his ass his past his shoulder.

Either way, it's a moot point. If it's something we can disagree with while having stills and cute lines, there's not chance in hell I'd expect a referee to see it in real time.

• History

If we had VAR the ref would have allowed the goal and then let VAR clarify whether it was offside or not, which I believe would then have affirmed a (in my eyes) correct decision to award the goal.

I hope you don't mind if I disagree. The Mata decision made VAR priorities very clear, it can be the very tip of a patella or the very edge of an ass, it's offside all the same. In addition, because the whistle went before the goal, it was NOT a disallowed goal. We can't sit here and pretend like it was.

My opinion is that his body is clearly behind the line

If his butt/torso is onside, it's by a millimeter, and I'd need a better angle to confirm that. To say that it is clearly onside is simply fiction. If I was in VAR making a decision on this, I'd call it offside with the angles I have. Hell the picture you linked yourself shows that the tiniest bit of Morata's ass is offside.

Either way, it's a moot point. If it's something we can disagree with while having stills and cute lines, there's not chance in hell I'd expect a referee to see it in real time.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@quikzyyy This isn't the highligh you know, why you have to insult the forum? We alway tried to make it a good place for discussion despite our difference. Also, there isn't any United saying your crying over it now? I still don't understand why people feel they will get trashed if they say what they think on the forum... Yeah, sometime people get overly offensed for no good reason but on the forum its very rare that it actually get too personal. I wish you'd see that. :(

Anyway, on the topic at hand I agree it was tight but it should have not been a offside. Correctly used VAR cannot happen too soon tbh.

Eden17Hazard17 6 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

It was onside for sure. Can't really blame the sideline ref given how close it was. Like Conte said, this is why VAR is on its way.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Morata in all fairness even in this game did a lot but was just unlucky, he hit the bar and the legit goal was taken away as well, just a bit of luck and he is on the scoresheet twice.

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

His shoulder is offside tho..

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Feelings of other football club fans when I do banter is least thing on my mind. Therefore, United as always gets favors from referee and then claims the victory as another dominant performance! Typical.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Eden17 Yup agreed, VAR is the true answer for any of those problem.

@Golazo So true. :(

Drbutterface 6 years ago
Roma, Italy 2 522

I think he's onside.

But doesnt the rule say: when in doubt, favor the attacker? Should've counted either way.

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Rule basically says that for it to be offside the las defender line has to be crossed by the attackers part of the body that can legally play the ball, so everything except hands or arms.

You can have an opinion about it, it is hard to call. What I find funny and amazingly buthurt is people claiming that the decision is made on purpose to favor United. All I can say is grow up.. Weather it is a right call or not it is a really tight call and there is no human capable of calling this things on purpose. Look at the play on real time, and then look at the image with the offside line. If it ends up being a mistake (which is hard to tell) claiming it is just another referee helping United is the most childish claim ever.

uncle_touchy 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United, England 3 123

You clearly see the United black line drop off cause the flag , DDG just made an attempt cause he had to. Btw it wasn't even a good shot by Morata, If the flag didn't go id say 50/50 chance. Just stop being Chelsea fans heeeeeee.

• History

You clearly see the United black line drop off cause the flag , DDG just made an attempt cause he had to. Btw it wasn't even a good shot by Morata, If the flag didn't go id 50/50 chance. Just stop being Chelsea fans heeeeeee.

You clearly see the United black line drop off cause the flag , DDG just made an attempt cause he had to. Btw it wasn't even a good shot by Morata, If the flag didn't go id say 50/50 chance. Just stop being Chelsea fans heeeeeee.