Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Referee Video Review in Football
SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/13/history-made-video-replay-technology-used-official-usl-match

In the 2nd tier US division, the USL, video replay technology was used for the first time in-game last night. Transcript of article linked above:

HARRISON, N.J. – Friday night saw the debut of video replay in competitive play as the United Soccer League, via two MLS reserve teams, became the first North American league to utilize FIFA's video assistant referee (VAR) initiative during the course of a league match.

Once in each half, head referee Ismail Elfath made use of the video screen behind the goal, which was manned by review assistants. In both instances, Elfath needed just a few moments to communicate with the VAR, located in a mobile truck on Red Bull Arena property.

And both times, Elfath and the VAR – on this night it was PRO referee Allen Chapman who oversaw the technology – worked together to make a clear, precise call. The VAR automatically reviews every goal, every red card and all penalties, and communicates directly with the head referee, who ultimately decides whether to resort to the monitor.

The first use of the VAR on Friday came in the 36th minute (video above): Orlando’s Conor Donovan fouled Junior Flemings right near the 18-yard line, just as the young New York forward was heading in on goal. Within moments of the foul being whistled by Elfath, Chapman communicated with the referee.

“The VAR first had to identify if it was a penalty kick or a free kick outside the box, looking at both some pulling and a trip," David Elleray, the Technical Director of the International Football Association Board (IFAB), told MLSsoccer.com after the match. "Initially, Elfath correctly called the foul outside the box, which was upheld by the replay.”

Elfath needed just one camera angle and a handful of seconds to review the replay himself, as well as some simple communication with Chapman, to make the call. He decided on a foul outside the box and a straight red card to Donovan for denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

In the other instance in the 82nd minute, Elfath also employed video review to determine that Orlando City B defender Kyle McFadden’s challenge on a 50-50 ball was not worthy of a red card. In this instance, Chapman communicated to Elfath that he should review the play, so Elfath jogged behind the goal and this time reviewed the play a couple times before determining that a yellow card and not a red card was warranted.

Chapman, with the same multiple views available to Elfath, did not give any personal input on the play just “that it deserved and needed to be reviewed.”

“He made the call that it was a yellow card after reviewing the play,” Chapman said.

The time utilized to make the review was added on as part of the four minutes of stoppage time at the end of the match.

But while the focus from this match was clearly the two calls made after Elfath used video review, the technology also came in handy in a moment when there was no need for the referee himself to refer to a replay.

In stoppage time, Red Bulls II forward Zoumana Simpara scored on a rebound off the post. As per the standard, Chapman immediately reviewed the goal. Elfath had communicated to him that Simpara, a member of Mali’s U-17 national team, might have been offside.

Within moments, Chapman made the review and communicated to Elfath that Simpara was not offside. The final call on video reviews always belong to the head referee, who ruled that the goal stood, capping off the first night for the VAR and this emerging technology.

“I’d give it a very high grade,” Elleray said.

/End Article

I for one, welcome our new technological overlords. This use of replay took the referee around 30 seconds, with an additional 15 seconds or so for the referee overseeing the replay to inform the head referee to come over an take a look. All of this time, was, as the article notes, added onto extra time.

I like it. A sending off or a PK should be the right call, and if it takes 45 seconds to make that call I'm all for it. Keep in mind this was also the first time they'd ever used, I would imagine that they could do it a lot faster with additional use.

What are your thoughts?

Comments
KTBFFHSWE 8 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Don't like it at all! The human factor is part of football, and eventually, it all evens out.. Also, it takes way too long time as it is now. The actual playing time has already decreased dramatically the past 10-20 years or so, and we don't want more of that.

It feels like this is a way to americanise football and I'm not surprised the experiment was first conducted in the USL.. They've already tried americanise the sport once by changing the rules for penalties in soccer back in the days in order to please the American audience. This feels like the same thing to me.

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

Eventually it all evens out is hardly true. I guess I don't understand why you (and other people who are against video review) would be so against losing 30 seconds that are added back on at the end of the game anyway, and rather have someone sent off incorrectly, or a PK(basically a free goal) given for a referee's mistake.

KTBFFHSWE 8 years ago

Eventually, it evens out. It's definitively true..

And it doesn't work like that.. Why do you think it is that teams and players waste time if it is added back on at the end of the game anyways? Because it doesn't.

I would argue for using video footage as evidence for retro-active punishment of players that dive etc AFTER the game, but not during the game.

Would hate to see football getting Americanized. Next up would be huge screens, over dramatic commentators like in NHL and half time entertainment with singing and dancing. Maybe add a horn as soon as the ball crosses the goal line too as in NHL? and drafting players. But alright, back to the subject. I think video evidence should be used after the actual game for a lot of reasons.

Tuanis 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

I cant express with words how happy I am that this technology is being used and will slowly be introduced in higher tier football. The time that it took was just seconds, many other things in football like faking fouls take waaay longer so time is not an issue at all. This only makes the game a fairer one and it is something the sports needs asap.

Why hate so much on American sports and the way they sort out things? American sports like American Football are almost perfect in-gmae sense and it would make football way greater than it already is to mimic a few aspects of those "americanized" sports.

tuan_jinn 8 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I am against this, or would prefer it to a very strict limit.

Human errors made football how it is today... give people things to talk about... not just nice goal or good counter...

Controversy is a big part of this game and make it interesting.

I know sometimes its unfair, cruel, and fu*ked up, but so is life.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I am against this, or would prefer it to a very struct limit.

Human errors made football how it is today... give people things to talk about... not just nice goal or good counter...

Controversy is a big part of this game and make it interesting.

I know sometimes its unfair, cruel, and fu*ked up, but so is life.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11426

Seeing so many rational people I know being against this technology feel a bit weird, but I understand their view as well. I for one really think this is great and will take football to a new level, yes, they will still be mistake, yes it won't alway make game more fair but in my opinion, its a step in the good direction to make football more fair and make it so important call are right. I know it will be long before this become mainstream but one day, this thing will propably make a difference in bigger football competition for the best or the worst.

Drbutterface 8 years ago
Roma, Italy 2 522

Human errors made football how it is today

That is such a corrupt statement to make.

Noone goes to a stadium for the purpose of watching the referees' human mistakes.

People want to see a good game and the really better team win - not the team that's favourited by bribed referees.

People that throw in arguments like yours are toxic to the discussion.

KTBFFHSWE 8 years ago

Who is this guy^? .. "Toxic to the discussion". Facepalm..

And bribed referees? There's on a daily basis thousands of games. I doubt they're all bribed.

_Gonzi_ 8 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

referee human error is part of the game. a tiny part.

Dynastian98 8 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I am very happy with this idea. I have seen cricket slowly adapt technology and become much more pleasing to watch (in terms of fairness) and the same for NBA basketball. I'd welcome this technology with open arms. Human errors distort the game, I'd prefer the team who deserves to win to take the victory.

Emrecan_58 8 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

I am supporting this tech instead of me, losing my hair because of the sh*t decisions that referees make.
I have almost no hair by the way.

Noone goes to a stadium for the purpose of watching the referees' human mistakes.
People want to see a good game and the really better team win.

This prettymuch sums up my opinion.

nandaYNWA 8 years ago
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

heavily against it.

to err is to be human. mistakes are a massive part of the game as has been said already. they add to the passion of the game.

liomessi10 8 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

They used in in beach volleyball yesterday in olympics.

liomessi10 8 years ago

To get on topic it's such a relief coz i hate it when a referee makes a mistake it hurts too much.

Emrecan_58 8 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@liomessi10 It is already being used in basketball or volleyball.

liomessi10 8 years ago

@emrecan you cant be 21 and going bald.

Emrecan_58 8 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@liomessi10 If you live in Turkey, it's possible.

liomessi10 8 years ago

It was pretty fun to watch when the point was changed after they watched a replay tho. First time ive seen it happen n real life.

quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

For everyone who are against it, I hope you won't say we lost because of the referees :)

netsten 8 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

Finally ! We need this since 50 years ! I hope to see this soon in every competition.