Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Referee Video Review in Football
SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/13/history-made-video-replay-technology-used-official-usl-match

In the 2nd tier US division, the USL, video replay technology was used for the first time in-game last night. Transcript of article linked above:

HARRISON, N.J. – Friday night saw the debut of video replay in competitive play as the United Soccer League, via two MLS reserve teams, became the first North American league to utilize FIFA's video assistant referee (VAR) initiative during the course of a league match.

Once in each half, head referee Ismail Elfath made use of the video screen behind the goal, which was manned by review assistants. In both instances, Elfath needed just a few moments to communicate with the VAR, located in a mobile truck on Red Bull Arena property.

And both times, Elfath and the VAR – on this night it was PRO referee Allen Chapman who oversaw the technology – worked together to make a clear, precise call. The VAR automatically reviews every goal, every red card and all penalties, and communicates directly with the head referee, who ultimately decides whether to resort to the monitor.

The first use of the VAR on Friday came in the 36th minute (video above): Orlando’s Conor Donovan fouled Junior Flemings right near the 18-yard line, just as the young New York forward was heading in on goal. Within moments of the foul being whistled by Elfath, Chapman communicated with the referee.

“The VAR first had to identify if it was a penalty kick or a free kick outside the box, looking at both some pulling and a trip," David Elleray, the Technical Director of the International Football Association Board (IFAB), told MLSsoccer.com after the match. "Initially, Elfath correctly called the foul outside the box, which was upheld by the replay.”

Elfath needed just one camera angle and a handful of seconds to review the replay himself, as well as some simple communication with Chapman, to make the call. He decided on a foul outside the box and a straight red card to Donovan for denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

In the other instance in the 82nd minute, Elfath also employed video review to determine that Orlando City B defender Kyle McFadden’s challenge on a 50-50 ball was not worthy of a red card. In this instance, Chapman communicated to Elfath that he should review the play, so Elfath jogged behind the goal and this time reviewed the play a couple times before determining that a yellow card and not a red card was warranted.

Chapman, with the same multiple views available to Elfath, did not give any personal input on the play just “that it deserved and needed to be reviewed.”

“He made the call that it was a yellow card after reviewing the play,” Chapman said.

The time utilized to make the review was added on as part of the four minutes of stoppage time at the end of the match.

But while the focus from this match was clearly the two calls made after Elfath used video review, the technology also came in handy in a moment when there was no need for the referee himself to refer to a replay.

In stoppage time, Red Bulls II forward Zoumana Simpara scored on a rebound off the post. As per the standard, Chapman immediately reviewed the goal. Elfath had communicated to him that Simpara, a member of Mali’s U-17 national team, might have been offside.

Within moments, Chapman made the review and communicated to Elfath that Simpara was not offside. The final call on video reviews always belong to the head referee, who ruled that the goal stood, capping off the first night for the VAR and this emerging technology.

“I’d give it a very high grade,” Elleray said.

/End Article

I for one, welcome our new technological overlords. This use of replay took the referee around 30 seconds, with an additional 15 seconds or so for the referee overseeing the replay to inform the head referee to come over an take a look. All of this time, was, as the article notes, added onto extra time.

I like it. A sending off or a PK should be the right call, and if it takes 45 seconds to make that call I'm all for it. Keep in mind this was also the first time they'd ever used, I would imagine that they could do it a lot faster with additional use.

What are your thoughts?

Comments
tuan_jinn 8 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

It's not like I dont prefer the fairness of the games. I DO, I hate wrong calls as much as you guys do.

But controversy is a part of everything and sometimes, ok this is bad, sometimes I enjoy the "after-match" :)))). I accept it. Unless it's corrupted and consistently.

I would rather have the media writes about a stupid decision and freak out over it than has nothing to write (just how nice the game went would get really boring at times), instead of writing about WAGs, has a hot girlfriend and dumb her, or someone smokes in the pub

quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Mourinho is still here, you don't need to worry about what would media write about.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

@tuan_jinn From what I heard, the technologie is only for pen, offside, goal and straight red card, there will be plenty of chance for the ref to make mistake and beside, even these will sometime cause controversy because the referee don't really have a lot of time to analyze the video play back. So don't worry buddy, I'm sure there will plenty of mistake, controversy and people saying it because of the ref or that he his corrupt.

KaKa_CS 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 1 910

If they use it as new rule, both Barca and Juve will win nothing.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

nooo don't turn this into american football. quick decisions, fast play and passion....thats what its about

United_Hates_Blues 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 14 985

It should be used for offside decisions, stupid bookings and under the radar fouls. The game needs this, fair is fair! Also the biggest one of all penalty decisions.

KTBFFHSWE 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

dont think it'll get introduced to europe football any time soon. Typically they introduce to the mls. Lame

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@KTB Hey, if they start using it in the MLS and its start gaining popularity, no doubt it will come to europe at one point. :D

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I don't think so, human factor is very important for UEFA/FIFA :)

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

As noted in the article, this is with the support of FIFA. If it does become a very positive influence, I think it would be impossible for FIFA to ignore, particularly if refs keep making the wrong decisions in big games. Keep in mind, it was only one instance that got the ball rolling on goal line technology (Lampard v Germany).

Tuanis 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

I hope they implement technology as soon as possible. Each day we see more and more referee crucial mistakes. Being so easy it is just a matter of time for FIFA to make it happen. Goal line tech and MLS technology are just baby steps towards the future.

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

ASAP. My life's only joy is football right now and I don't want it to be destroyed by some referee's (Fu Craig Thomson) ridiculous calls.

Drbutterface 7 years ago
Roma, Italy 2 522

@Kaka_CS you're absolutely right and you forgot Bayern.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I'm for it. Cheats happen way too much.

cr7real 7 years ago
Galatasaray, Turkey 0 66

İt will be bad for audience and the referee will be able to stop the time and let me watch the video and what happened in this position and then We will wait the referee that's what is happening and probably Offside will be finished and it will be history. it'sound crazy. Am I right What do you think? I think This is not natural football and the soul of football will be killed. We are not going to enjoy enough with the beauties of football. I dont like this tecnologic devices in football

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@cr7real Its not like its gonna take hour to check a video replay though, half a minute will be enough most of the time, shouldn't be a lots worse than what the game feel like right now in my opinion and will permit use to get correct decision from referee, who themselve confess they would have done thing differently if they had seen action from other point of view. If done well and quickly, it shouldn't really hurt the flow of a game.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@cr7real Its not like its gonna take hour to check a video replay though, half a minute will be enough most of the time, shouldn't be a lots worse than what the game feel like right now in my opinion and will permit use to get correct decision from referee, who themselve confess they would have done thing differently if they had seen action from other point of view. If done well and quickly, it shouldn't really hurt the soul of football.

Tuanis 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Great news. We're getting closer to a huge step forward in football.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Now the only thing in the way would be if referees refuse to use the video replay to check a call.... #InjusticeToToronto #ScrewTheNBA

Only reason UEFA and FIFA doesn't adapt this is because then their corrupt asses would find it much more difficult to fix matches. But then again, the NBA has fully adapted this system and they still manage to fix entire seasons and titles, so who knows.