Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Should Morata start over Benzema?
Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Seeing Morata's hat-trick today has convinced me to ask this question... Has Morata done enough to warrant a starting spot over Benzema?

I've been watching them both closely these past few months, and I noticed a lack of hunger from Benzema's part. He's always been quite lazy, but there were always a few seasons where that laziness disappeared and he became a truly world-class striker. It's a weird habit, these on-and-off pouts of laziness, but Benzema has been like this in a Real Madrid shirt for quite some time.

Benzema has been stellar in the seasons of 2011-12 (he scored 32 goals) and 2015-16 (24 goals in 27 games in La Liga). During 2010-11, he had a torrid start to the season, which led to the loaning of Adebayor, but then exploded in the second half. The remainder of the seasons, excluding his first, have left Madridistas quite wanting, IMHO. We've always comforted ourselves with the fact that he helps Ronaldo and Bale gel, but we've seen that the Ronaldo of 2016-17 is more willing to let his goals dry up in favor of other players. Moreover, Bale is now the focus of the attack. Ronaldo may still score more goals than him, but Bale receives the ball at his feet much more than Ronaldo.

Ronaldo / Morata / Asensio has been a combination that's worked quite well. Ronaldo / Morata / Bale has also worked favorably in the past too. So when you put all these facts together...

1. Ronaldo is more willing to let his team mates score
  2. Benzema has been showing a consistent lack of hunger
  3. Because of Ronaldo's decline, we no longer need a striker to focus on "linking" Ronaldo and Bale since Bale sees the ball more anyways
  4. ...and Morata has been on fire this season.

Has Morata deserved a starting spot in between Ronaldo / Asensio and Bale?

Morata in La Liga & CL

Minutes: 1127
Goals: 14
Assists: 4
Minutes per goal: 80.5

Benzema in La Liga and CL

Minutes: 2052
Goals: 14
Assists: 5
Minutes per goal: 146.6

Comments
Salahadin 7 years ago
Real Madrid, France 11 554

I don't know I feel benzema always comes threw I still rate him higher then Morata he is much better on the ball creates more for the team and I don't find him to be lazy he always drops deep when needed, stats isnt everything.
I thing we should try to gel morata in the team he still feels lost sometimes. There is always something weird when I watch him.
The thing is we. Red to give both some time benzema is like 30 now maybe next season morata will get his chance would love if we could get Mbappe in that will make the future even more bright.

Our young players are just to good with the likes of Isco Asensio kovacic Morata and Varane I'm telling bring Mbappe to play with these lads and he hell gel just great. With Zidan on the top we can't go wrong.

I

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Especially if that's what it takes to keep him there. I don't see why not.

SoccerBoss 7 years ago
Barcelona, Russia 34 804

Transferring Morata back was actually a smart move from Madrid, something we don't usually see. Seeing the stats that you provided and looking at how he plays just proves that he is a rising talent, so yeah, he should probably start over Benzema.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

No . He should start over Costa .

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

In overall , I still think Benz is slightly better.

But, as you point out, his main contribution was the linked up and helped Ronaldo to excel in chances, which is not that much anymore. He seems failed to show hunger, scoring instinct etc...

Morata is the future and I also deserve to start ahead of Benz. If Morata doesn't deliver as a starter, he will be back to the bench. The connection between Zizou and Benz might bother the team in the longer run.

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

I'm fairly confident that Morata is a solid 28+ goals per season striker. I mean, he already has 16 and he almost always comes on as a substitute!

I really like the guy, he's everything we need. Solid vision for striker, great goalscorer, defensive hound, strong, and Spanish! Not to mention he's a Madrid youth product, too. :)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I'm fairly confident that Morata is a solid 28+ goals per season striker. I mean, he already has 16 and he almost always comes on as a substitute!

I really like the guy, he's everything we need. Solid vision for striker, great goalscorer, defensive hound, strong, and Spanish!

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

No. Benzema is better. Morata will replace Cristiano Ronaldo in 2 years for more minutes and become a new Raul.

OnceABlueAlwaysABlue 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 5 211

Yes Morata deserves to start instead of Benzema and if Real want to keep him at the club then yes the definitely should. His talent is clear for everyone to see.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Morata and Ronaldo have same attributes, and I don't see Zidane playing a classic 4-4-2 with two 9. For me both playing together would unbalance the attack because I don't see Ronaldo playing the winger role atm. When Both started Morata ended goalless. That being said, Madrid has to find a proper 10 to fill some of Benz duties, could be in form James. Then again I don't see BMR as complementary as BBC specially in big games...
Not a question of potential for me, more about type of players and complementarity...

Benz without Ronaldo starting also has amazing stats, so Im not sure it's about that. But why not trying ?

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

I would be pissed off if Morata doesn't start over Benzema. I don't have anything against him but he just isn't my type of striker. His miss compilations would last hours. Morata is way more clinical than him. I would play him regularly.

JuanMata10 7 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

Not Real Madrid quality in my opinion.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

I think they both nearly at the same level, wich is why Morata doesn't start as Benz as more experience and is better at giving his team mate a chance to score. Still think in the coming seasons, Zidane should slowly make a rotation and make Morata the first choice striker.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Juan: uhmn why?

@Emo: starting rotation between the 2 would make sense. Yes

Golefty 7 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

Ive posted this vid before, nuff said

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@JuanMata

He's only 24, and he's probably the best pure striker in Spain. He's shoving Benzema out of the line-up bit-by-bit, and he has 16 goals this season (probably ending with 20+ at this rate), and almost all his games are as substitutes. He has almost the same number of goals as Diego Costa lol.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I think his 16 goals are a bit over stated, he would have less impressive stats if he was a regular starter.

He will be a starter it's just a matter of time, but if right now he's the super-sub he should enjoy it like Solskjær did for United or Larsson for Barcelona.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

Also, one thing people forget to mention is that Morata have a special attachement for the club, he felt terrible after knocking them out when with Juve, because he still felt it was his club. Morata lived for the moment he would play first team football at Real. Not saying Benzema doesn't like Real as much, just that Morata got much more to proof and have a different kind of affection for the team, wich is why I expect him to alway give his 200% when playing for them.