Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Should regular football players be able play just as good in a small indoor field ?
Marcus2011 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

I am used to big field . So the other day i complained that i don't like playing on the small field because it limits my potential . Rest of the guys ( who always play indoor ) said it is bs . I am not seeking support . Just wanted to see your opinion on this , maybe I should up my indoor game skills . I can play in small spaces very well and love to play between the lines but indoor somehow still doesn't quiet fit my skills and reading of the game .

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I am used to big field . So the other i complained that i don't like playing on the small field because it limits my potential . Rest of the guys ( who always play indoor ) said it is bs . I am not seeking support . Just wanted to see you opinion on this maybe I should up my indoor game skills > I can play in small spaces very well and love to play between the players but indoor somehow still doesn't quiet fit my skills and reading of the game .

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I have a vast amount of experience on indoor fields and I can tell you they're full of shit. Because the indoor fields are smaller, the games revolve around one dude getting beaten or a quick passing move to generate the space to do anything. In addition, the shortness of the field allows to long ball to become very relevant.

The large outdoor field is totally different, for one simple reason: there is always space. Where in indoor, you have to create space, in outdoor, you manipulate existing space. This is the reason why formations are totally irrelevant indoor, yet make or break outdoor.

They require totally different mental tactics on an individual level, and that's why most players struggle going from one to another. Even as a keeper, a smaller 18 yard box is cancer, and as a result I have a far worse record of goals conceded indoor.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I've always had a poor experience indoors. I play as a defensive or attacking midfielder who focuses on play-making without dribbling, so indoor destroys me as there is no space to manipulate. Only dribblers can create space from nothing, which is why they succeed so much indoors. You shouldn't worry about the differences. I have connections to many people who are semi-professional, and they have all told me that their indoor and outdoor experiences are vastly different (even the dribblers).

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

I agree with both of the guys on this one +1

From personal experience, I perform much better outdoors than indoors simply because of the difference in space. I am a below average dribbler so my performance is hindered indoors, where I have the time to look around and the space to do as I please.

To be honest, indoor football is almost a like a different sport. If you're not skilled enough, you shouldn't stress too much about your performance.

Emrecan_58 7 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

I prefer the outdoor field, and what I can tell is that indoor field are not for wing play. It's for the players' to show their skills and techniques in direct plays. You can not play proper wing play. But outdoor field is always good for condition and the form of the player while the form can change anytime in indoors. Outdoor is life.

• History

I've always played outdoor field, and what I can tell is that indoor field are not for wing play. It's for the players' to show their skills and techniques in direct plays. You can not play proper wing play. But outdoor field is always good for condition and the form of the player while the form can change anytime in indoors. Outdoor is life.

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

^ Well said. I'm a LB so I know the pain :(

Marcus2011 7 years ago Edited

It is not that bad . I also play box to box as central midfielder but I hate the fact that I don't have much time to control the tempo and create gameplay . I like playing in small spaces and I dribble fine for outdoor but being a big guy still limits my full abilities .

Fun part is my same friends who prefer indoor play awfully in outdoor . No sense of positioning , understanding of the runs and building up the play for counter attack .. etc .

• History

It is not that bad . I also play box to box as central midfielder but I hate the fact that I don't have much time to control the tempo and create gameplay . I like playing in small spaces and I dribble fine for outdoor but being a big guy still messes limits my full abilities .

Fun part is my same friends who prefer indoor play awfully in outdoor . No sense of positioning , understanding of the runs and building up the play for counter attack .. etc .

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

They are trained for outdoors so no.

Marcus2011 7 years ago

But you know one point though . Brazilians do emphasize on the indoor gameplay . So there are benefits of it , i don't deny it , but overall outdoor is what truly shapes the skills for professional footballer and for me it makes me enjoy football much more .

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Yeah. However there's downsides. They probably won't do as good on things like aerial duels.

JuanMata10 7 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

Well, playing indoors greatly improved my technique, ball control and awareness in tight spaces, but ultimately it's not as important as knowing how to play on a 'real' field and having tactical knowledge.

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

When I was a GK playing indoor in highschool, I usually scored at least one. Seriously. LoL.
And as a decent GK and a well AM player, I can play both indoor and outdoor easily.

rayrex7 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

Complete crap.

I play outdoors and indoors and as a central midfielder, the two courts are completely different. Indoors rely on close dribbling and quick, short passes. While outdoor courts rely on everything, and the most important principle is game reading like you mentioned. However if you can play in both regularly that can help you increase your close ball control for indoor and game reading and positioning for outdoor.

That is why they both have different names, indoor is called Futsal while outdoor is called football. Why don't you see amazing dribblers in futsal can't play in football matches, because it is way harder to shine and make a presence on a football court.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Futsal is much more complicated than you say, how you can say futsal don't rely on everything like in football? Reading your opponent in futsal is much more important. The tactic, signals, discipline is much more important than in football.

You lose the ball at half-line? You're probably going to concede cause there are not 10 another players to save you from your mistake.
You've made 7 fouls? Instantly, opponent is getting a penalty, and every another foul you make is penalty as well.

You will never see signals used in futsal that often used in football, because you can improvise on big pitch. You can hardly do something like that in futsal.

rayrex7 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

Futsal is a 5-sided sport, so you are gonna see games with huge score lines, but what i meant is that in Futsal, ball control and close dribbling skill is what matters the most. Most teams play dribbling tactics rather than short passes or game reading, you can literally see players just randomly running around the full court.

But I do agree on your view of Futsal, it is a difficult sport, however i still see football is a bit tougher.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Futsal needs skills, accuracy and quick thinking... he also demands a lot of stamina, No matter how small is the field, you don't have time to recover from the runs and you get involved in defense and attack.
I feel more comfortable in Futsal rather than Football lately, less time to practice and more technical play, we basically focus on nutmegs at times with friends...
As Marcus said it's completely different sport, the ball is smaller, the pitch is smaller, the strategy and closing spaces is more vital, less shoots and more construction from the back. Doesn't demand a high level physical attributes, i just love that sport.