Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

So about the Diego Costa situation.
iHEARTfootball 7 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Costa's still at Chelsea...not a very good start to the season.

It all started from a text Conte sent to all his players after an amazing first start to his Chelsea tenure - a long holiday well deserved for the entire squad, except for Diego, who was given the boot in a pathetic and unprofessional manner. Bad move on Conte's part, after all the services Costa gave to the club, but it doesn't justify how much of a c*nt Costa really is and here's why.

Before the season even began, Deigo went back home in Brazil to keep a low profile, until a persistent journalist did us all a favour and decided to pay him a visit in order to clear things up. Photos of Costa sitting on his couch and watching his team lose @ home for the first time in 18 seasons, is none other than disgraceful display for any professional. Player power has become a huge problem in modern football, and D. Costa is displaying it as clear as water.

In the interview, he claimed that he was prepared to stay in Brazil for a year. After the loss against Burnley, Chelsea demanded him to fulfil his current contract, and to return in order to stay match fit. I see this as a reaction from their loss, but I also think it may because Chelsea's squad is very thin at the moment. Another way of seeing this is, of course, with hopes of Athletico Madrid coming to sign him back after their ban is lifted, which he desires.

Thanks to that journalist, we now know Diego's intentions, but the way he has aggravated this entire situation makes you wonder whether you really want to have him in your squad, not as a footballer, but as a person.

It's quite sad to see no loyalty these days. Man Utd is no different, but this situation is highlighting Chelsea's reputation, but even worse, Conte's. Just as a professional, I worry that Conte's career @ Chelsea will end bitterly, and it won't be any different to previous managers under Abramovich's model. His model doesn't seem built on long-term careers for any manager who takes over.

This really makes me wonder whether there needs to be a change in football's hierarchy. Who really is to blame here? Not just the clubs, but should the FA too start stepping fourth and begin reinforcing the importance of club contracts by applying hefty fines for any players who don't honor their contracts. Would love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Source:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40930296

Comments
nigelpayne 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 15 484

Surely as in any situation where a contract is not fulfilled the person should pay out the contract. In other words Costa should be legally bound to either play for the club or pay his way out in the form of paying Chelsea his release clause.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

It's Carlos Tevez all over again...

It's sad for him and for Chelsea... Costa earns millions a year while regular high-skill hard workers earns <100k. I assume he should respect his employer contract a lot more.

Never like him, never will (not that anyone cares though).

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

I dont share your point guys, Chelsea coach and direction is also to blame for Costa reaction. He was shown the exit by an sms which is the top of lack of respect, not getting a proper explanation live while he contributed actively to the title.
For a purpose to sell him to the club that offers the most, he is called to train with reserve, without any right to integrate the first team squad nor to share the dressing room with his friends and teammates.
the guy is a comfirmed player no matter his caracter, training with teenagers for the only aim to higher his transfer price is clearly considered as a lack of respect for a player of his Caliber.
He wont train with the youth, he wont go to Milan or China, he only wants Atletico and no one can do nothing for it. if He was interested in money he would have moved to China.
Many " Men" would have actually the same reaction and for me he is not the only one to blame in the story.
After Costa case who was loved in the dressing room, and Matic shown the exit, hope Conte has solid influence in the dressing room because what happened to Mourinho could eventually happen to him with those weird treatment of dressing room leaders.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

I'm a bit perplexed on the whole story, imo, Chelsea and Conte management of this whole thing is to blame first and foremost (don't get it wrong though, I still have huge respect for Conte). After that, of course, a guys like Costa is not gonna take it laying down with class. Sadly, this will propably make him look like the bad guys for the fanbase.

About Chelsea, I do believe their current policies won't make their player be the most loyal of them all. For that, they need a guy like Pochetino who promote youth player in the first team from time to time and give them a chance, if those player progress enough and remain in a single team (instead of being send anywhere on loan), then of course, they will be loyal and act toward the club with class.

To note that I do believe some player are very loyal to Chelsea at the moment however like Azpi and Cahill.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Emo:

About Chelsea, I do believe their current policies won't make their player be the most loyal of them all.

Spot on!

Sadly that happens to almost all other big money-driven clubs :(

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Perhaps Chelsea's policy for dealing with their players isn't the greatest. But I don't trust a word that comes out of Diego Costa's mouth. This man openly lies, cheats, and looks to intentionally place harm upon others on the football pitch. Why should anyone believe he has any decency off it?

I believe Chelsea are far better off without him. He doesn't want to play? Fine, sell him or terminate his contract. It's not like Abramovich is short on funds. Purchase players who are loyal to your club, and adjust your policies such that similar situations do not arise in the future. Let the Costa drama dissipate into thin air. Don't give him the attention he so badly desires. Refuse to pour fuel on the fire and let the demand for his services wisp away.

Chelsea has a future without Costa, but Costa does not have much to look forward to without Chelsea. Get rid of this imbecile and focus on the high-quality players that you do have.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

@tuan Thats true, its a bit sad to be fair. Its happening to more and more team as well. :( So glad to see some loyal player though sometime, its great. :)

@Dynast Meh, I don't trust Diego Costa and won't argue he isn't nasty at time but since Conte never even once tried to say the SMS story is fake, I'd say its because its true. Anyway, I think you are too hard to Costa (wonder if its because of his time at Atletico :P) he is a great player with terrific quality and great finishing, would have loved to see him join AC Milan because he got great experience and a winning mentality (sometime too much). Would have been a terrific addition to them and could have had a rotation role with Andre Silva. :(

@nigelpayne,

Costa should be legally bound to either play for the club or pay his way out in the form of paying Chelsea his release clause.

After the fiasco with him and Conte after last season, I doubt that he would be willing to pay his release clause after all the things he did for the club, let alone, Abramovich. But you're right, it is possible for him to do so should Chelsea decide to hang him out dry for the rest of this year, which to me would be a real low-move on Chelsea's part.

@tiki,

For a purpose to sell him to the club that offers the most, he is called to train with reserve, without any right to integrate the first team squad nor to share the dressing room with his friends and teammates.
the guy is a comfirmed player no matter his caracter, training with teenagers for the only aim to higher his transfer price is clearly considered as a lack of respect for a player of his Caliber.

That's the point I'm trying to get across. At the end of the day, Costa signed the contract to be at Chelsea's services, just like any other player at a club. It's the club's decision to deal with him, not the other way around. What you said here is what I was think is an example of a player having a delusional thoughts of being the main man over the club (player's power) which shouldn't be the case.

I agree with you on Conte's management being quite poor and unprofessional through that SMS incident, but it seems to me that Costa has aggravated this whole situation which is further reflecting Chelsea's overall management as a whole. Quite a bad cookie, if you ask me.

@Emobot

About Chelsea, I do believe their current policies won't make their player be the most loyal of them all. For that, they need a guy like Pochetino who promote youth player in the first team from time to time and give them a chance, if those player progress enough and remain in a single team (instead of being send anywhere on loan), then of course, they will be loyal and act toward the club with class.

Spot on about the their policy. I think by now, a lot of us should know that Chelsea's current model as a football club isn't in favor of longevity, which is really what is required to promote youths (IMO), and by doing so will also require a bit of a transitional period for the club.

We went through this phase since Fergie left, and that's the point, going through that transitional stage wasn't easy for us. We had to go through poor results and boring football, despite having all that spending power we had over the years to bring in top class players. Spurs did a very similar thing but, under Poch, did it very well..in fact, much better than we did if you ask me.

I don't think Chelsea can afford to risk following that, as it will stir up a lot of mixed responses over the next few years, and frankly, it doesn't define Chelsea as a club. Their club is always about success on a short term basis, and they do it extremely well under Abramovich's management.

@Dynastian

Fine, sell him or terminate his contract. It's not like Abramovich is short on funds. Purchase players who are loyal to your club, and adjust your policies such that similar situations do not arise in the future.

I second that.

DarthFooty 7 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1095

It is a sad situation and whats worse, a very public one. Hard not to be these days though. Two parties involved are to blame but in the end, a contract is binding. A team CAN dictate where and when you play. It can tell you where and when you train. Heck, depending on the contract, they can tell you where to live, what you can do in off times, ect....

It takes a smart, wise, and through attorney, player manager, adviser, what have you, to comb through pages and pages of legal jargon. Then, that has to be relayed in a way for the player to truly understand what they are signing. You are thrown figures, stats, non-disclosure terms, and it is written in a language only evil lawyers can understand.

There is some wiggle room I am sure, especially for a player of his caliber, but can he use it, or even does he want to use it?

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11429

@Dynast

or terminate his contract.

I thought about this and couldn't this be his intention in fact? To have his contract terminated? I mean, it sure is cheaper for Atletico this way, isn't?

@DarthFooty Seem rough. :(

@iHEARTfootball Lol, I just realize it was you man who made the thread, didn't recognise you at first because you changed your profile pic. XD

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Dynast

I thought about this and couldn't be his intention in fact? To have his contract terminated? I mean, it sure is cheaper for Atletico this way, isn't?

@Dynast

I thought about this and couldn't this be his intention in fact? To have his contract terminated? I mean, it sure is cheaper for Atletico this way, isn't?

@Dynast

@DarthFooty Seem rough. :(

@Emobot, haha yes, I'm sticking back to my original profile pic because I couldn't retrieve my other old account, and plus, I'm a fan of Breaking Bad.

JuanMata10 7 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

What a clown. Chelsea have confirmed a couple of weeks ago that Diego Costa's summer exit has been agreed with the player back in January when he obviously pushed for a move to China. The text message was more of a reminder. Diego really isn't really the victim here, he's digged his own grave by making it public.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

@JuanMata10 Well of course if you told him you wanted to leave on his very first day he wasn't gonna count on him. What a moron, first off he play the victim because he got sent off on an text message, then he reveal he told Conte he wanted to leave on his very first day, of course its not the kind of player you want to build a team around. If what you report is true Costa has to be the biggest idiot I've seen in association football. :P

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

There is no doubt Costa has a brain of imbecile and c*nts attitude towards the club. I also think that Conte and club should have handleded him better. Managing footballers isn't easy and Chelsea should be ruthless but since we always had players power Costa felt that he can pull what others player before him pulled. It is failure of Chelsea to establish hierarchy since many years before and show who is the boss in the club and make sure players aren't above the club.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I mean ofc nobody can really count on Costa, he chose to play for Spain when the World Cup was in his home country Brazil what else can be said about him, all problems start from the head just look at how Costa plays he's not the nicest player you can watch.

Tell me 1 club that would tolerate a type of player like Costa? I don't know any top manager that will bend to his will...

tiki_taka 7 years ago

Simeone can, i think Mou can too.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

There are many c*nt players and even worse than Costa but managers and the club learn to keep them in check. Costa was under moderate control till recently. Semione knows how to put him in place and get best out of him so there I named you one top manager already and not mentioning Mourinho. And I think Conte was doing it too but ran out patience which is surprising because he used to manage Tevez and other strong characters.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Good luck for Costa but he is a proven scumbag type of a player and to those guys not even the best manager can help because they don't help themselves, Conte strongly believes in team unity and just like previous Juventus managers he won't have much debates about getting rid of star diva players, everyone has their limit and if Conte simply decided that he doesn't want to work with Costa anymore it's done.

The player to be compared with is Balotelli, Tévez was never that dirty like the other 2.

tiki_taka 7 years ago

There is no world class 9 with a weak character, the absolute condition to become a killer is to have a killer mentality. Nines are very special, when a team does not score they are on the spotlight, when they do not score in few consecutive games they are under pressured. Ibra is a count, Suarez is a count, Tevez is a count, Cavani, Higuain, Etoo, Vardy, Ronaldo, Lukaku, Aguero.... if you don't have this anger with you, you can't be scoring regularly and this self esteem is the engine of your ambitions...

Ask Ibra or Ronaldo to train with youngsters without a single contact of first squad and grab popcorn on their reaction.

I'm not defending Costa, but his reaction is not surprising knowing how hot headed South American strikers are. We aren't in amator world, millions and fame are in the balance, those who reached these heights didn't raised with Walt Disney movies.