Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

So what now for VAR?
Greatone 6 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

So they've introduced VAR on the global stage, so there's no one who doesn't know about it anymore.

Normally they'll be pushing to put it in effect in all the major leagues, but what do you think of the current format of VAR, do you think that people will be satisfied especially after the World Cup showcasing it?

How do you think VAR can be bettered? - Me, personally, I believe there needs to be more transparency and clarity with the rules, the rules are way too ambiguous and way too open to interpretation when VAR is literally in place to eliminate doubt, it is creating doubt. Also, if we really want to use VAR to it's maximum potential, why aren't we using it whenever there is a clear mistake made by the referee, the VAR panel should be constantly reviewing the referee's decisions (for example Griezemann's dive) VAR is meant to eliminate human error.. They should call the referee up and say, look you made an error, bring it back to this point. As quickly as possible.

DISCUSS :)

Also what do you think about the success of VAR during the World Cup?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So they've introduced VAR on the global stage, so there's no one who doesn't know about it anymore.
Normally they'll be pushing to put it in effect in all the major leagues, but what do you think of the current format of VAR, do you think that people will be satisfied especially after the World Cup showcasing it?
How do you think VAR can be bettered? - Me, personally, I believe there needs to be more transparency and clarity with the rules, the rules are way too ambiguous and way too open to interpretation when VAR is literally in place to eliminate doubt, it is creating doubt. Also, if we really want to use VAR to it's maximum potential, why aren't we using it whenever there is a clear mistake made by the referee, the VAR panel should be constantly reviewing the referee's decisions (for example Griezemann's dive) VAR is meant to eliminate human error.. They should call the referee up and say, look you made an error, bring it back to this point. As quickly as possible.
DISCUSS :)

Also what do you think about the success of VAR during the World Cup?

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

The only issue was when they chose not to use it. For me, when used, it was the right call. So for me, its a sucess. Obviously, I agree I hope it get better, as for the rules needing more clarity, I'm all down for it. Still think its ok for not everything to be reviewed though.

expertfootball11 6 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Well, the main referee still holds authority on whetever to use VAR or not, maybe it's should be up to the VAR referees to take that decision...

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

The VAR is great.

It just need to be modified. The problem is that it has not be optimized in terms of time needed. The faster they can get the replays the less time is going to be spent/lost from the game reviewing the play. This is the main reason why only very specific and certain situations are reviewable.

From this point on it can only get better for the VAR. It was used as an early trial version or a beta version in a huge (biggest) stage of football in the world. For the short time that has been on the spotlight I feel like it can improve a lot.

The VAR objectively doesn't make the game worst in any way. If the referees make mistakes while using it, it's only the referee's fault.

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

i'm glad for it but I don't get why it's not called up more often. Where was VAR at Griezmann dive before 1st goal?

Greatone 6 years ago

also, with the introduction of VAR why is it so hard to implement a basketball style stop clock.. why allow so much ambiguity with time wasting and yellow cards for wasting time when the clock can just be stopped.

tuanis:
The time can be reduced by delegating it to the var team,like they can tell him theres a problem and he checks it immediately

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Greatone To be fair, time wasting because of VAR isn't even that bad, I read in an article that in most world cup game, what wasted the most time were free kick and corner. You literally lose around 10 min per game because of those.

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

The clock time which would stop like in the NBA/NFL is something FIFA is looking forward to implement. It would be a fantastic idea imo. And the VAR as of right now can only be implemented in certain plays, crucial ones as well. I think it is only for goals, offside penalties and red cards. They can't be stopping the game for every single dive, that would delay the game a lot.

@Greatone
What they do with the VAR is that the people watching the replays in that little room decide when to tell the ref when something is worth reviewing. But then again, they cant be telling him to review every single play because the game would have terrible continuity and sometimes the replays take time to be made.

The VAR is fine as it is now, the problem still lies with the referees themselves and the calling of certain situations. If they add a clock that would stop to avoid time wasting and they let the coaches "challenge" an X number of plays during the game It will improve it a lot.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I think VAR proven to be extremely helpful.

What could go wrong is either human (the ref decides to suck). Or in a 50/50 situation, either could be right or wrong and VAR can't help that...

But Im on the side of keeping the game of its core, play by human and run by human... That means: introduce time limit, or limitation for number of VAR requests on each team (like tennis on technical review).

THat would be ideal for me to keep the heat, the controversy and the bitter sweet of the game. (that has nothing to do with the stupid corruption).

Greatone 6 years ago

yeah maybe a mix, like each coach has a limit to how many times they can ask for a decision to be reviewed, while keeping the core element of reviewing the critical situations like theyve done before