Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

South American Qualifiers: Scenarios for Argentina
kirsi16 7 years ago Edited
Sao Paulo, Brazil 2 96

With only 25 points and 16 goals in 17 games, Argentina reaches the last round of qualifiers with a lousy campaign and real risk of being out of the World Cup for the first time since 1970. In the decisive game, next Tuesday (10/10), Messi and company visit the eliminated Ecuador in Quito. Understand the scenarios that eliminate or classify Argentines:

South American Qualifiers Table

To be on top 4 and qualify directly:

1. Wins next match:

Argentina has to cheer for one of the following scenarios:

• Chile defeat or draw against Brazil;
  • Draw between Colombia and Peru;
  • Peru's victory over Colombia by a lesser goal difference than Argentina's victory.

2. Draws next match:

Argentina would depend on:

• Brazillian victory over Chile by two or more goals AND Colombian victory over Peru AND Paraguay does not win Venezuela at home;
  • Brazillian victory over Chile by two or more goals AND Peruvian victory over Colombia by two or more goals AND Paraguay does not win Venezuela at home.

3. Loses next match:

It is impossible for Argentina to be in top four at this point.

To advance to inter-confederation playoffs:

1. Wins next match:

Argentina automatically gets to play against New Zealand.

2. Draws next match:

Argentina has to cheer for two of following four scenarios:

• Brazil's victory over Chile by two or more goals;
  • Colombia's victory over Peru;
  • Peru's victory over Colombia by two or more goals;
  • Paraguay does not win Venezuela.

3. Loses next match:

Argentina is still able to go to Russia 2018, but the combination is far more unlikely:

• Peru needs to lose by a goal difference superior to that of Argentine defeat to Ecuador AND Paraguay does not win Venezuela.

In my opinion, it seems that Argentina has greater chances to qualify for World Cup than to fail miserably.
Despite Ecuador losing five times in a row, they are not a bad team, considering that Ecuador won the same amount of matches as Argentina, and the last match between them ended 2-0 for Ecuador at Argentine home. They also won Uruguay 2-1 at home.

Disgress (maybe): I know people will bash me for this...... World rank wise, South America has 4 teams in top 10, 6 teams in top 20, and 8 teams in top 40. The World Cup has 32 participants. Considering the quality of other teams in other qualifiers, this format is quite unjust for us to play. The competition in Conmebol is just insane.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

With only 25 points and 16 goals in 17 games, Argentina reaches the last round of qualifiers with a lousy campaign and real risk of being out of the World Cup for the first time since 1970. In the decisive game, next Tuesday (10/10), Messi and company visit the eliminated Ecuador in Quito. Understand the scenarios that eliminate or classify Argentines:

1. Wins next match:

• Peru's victory over Colombia by a lesser goal difference than Argentina's victory.

2. Loses next match:

• Brazillian victory over Chile by two or more goals AND Colombian victory over Peru AND Paraguay does not win Venezuela at home;
  • Brazillian victory over Chile by two or more goals AND Peruvian victory over Colombia by two or more goals AND Paraguay does not win Venezuela at home.

3. Draws next match:

1. Wins next match:

2. Loses next match:

3. Draws next match:

Argentina is still able to go to Russia 2018, but the combination is far more unlikely:

• Peru needs to lose by a goal difference superior to that of Argentine defeat to Ecuador AND Paraguay does not win Venezuela.

In my opinion, it seems that Argentina has greater chances to qualify for World Cup than to fail miserably.
Despite Ecuador losing five times in a row, they are not a bad team, considering that Ecuador won the same amount of matches as Argentina, and the last match between them ended 2-0 for Ecuador at Argentine home. They also won Uruguay 2-1 at home.

Disgress (maybe): I know people will bash me for this...... World rank wise, South America has 4 teams in top 10, 6 teams in top 20, and 8 teams in top 40. The World Cup has 32 participants. Considering the quality of other teams in other qualifiers, this format is quite unjust for us to play. The competition in Conmebol is just insane.

1. Wins next match:

2. Loses next match:

3. Draws next match:

1. Wins next match:

2. Loses next match:

3. Draws next match:

Comments
Yvan21 7 years ago
0 440

That little Argentinian guy, I forget his name, did it again!
And Chile makes way for Peru to get a shot at making it to the world cup since their last appearance in 1982 :p

liomessi10 7 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Fckin how even did argentina get 3rd...

Sooo relieved 😌😌😌

kirsi16 7 years ago
Sao Paulo, Brazil 2 96

@Yvan21
I am actually more relieved that Peru got through. Gareca made them play really nice football.
If Paraguay had won - which I think they should have had - Peru would also be eliminated.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I'm so happy for Argentina, but I'm so sad about Chile. They needed another world cup after missing out last time on penalties in which I believe they were the better team throughout as well.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Maybe this is the breakthrough for Messi as the captain of the team and from now on he will be the leader for the whole team and take them to glory. Sometimes there is a thin line from not having a good team to having the championship winning team, Argentina has around 8 months to prepare and figure out a gameplan and become unstoppable.

I still fear for Messi's shape because he has been pushing hard on all fronts since the start of the season and if he continues in this same fashion after a long season with over 50 games he can burn out for the World Cup.
This is why it's also important that Barcelona agrees with Liverpool and Coutinho on his arrival so that Messi gets extra support in the team already in January which would make things easier for him, Barcelona and Coutinho as well.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

@Golazo Don't want to be that guy but Messi isn't really a leader in my opinion, he is too shy and humble for that in my opinion, one of the greatest player ever but I feel like he lack leadership, especially for Argentina. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Yvan21 7 years ago
0 440

@kirsi right, as a Peruvian I am happy we get a chance to make it this time around :p Peru didn't do what it had to do which was to win, but at least Venezuela and Brazil did us the favor :)

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

That's why I said he can become a leader after this game...

Maybe this is the breakthrough for Messi as the captain of the team and from now on he will be the leader for the whole team

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

@Golazo I understood you, just saying I don't see why this specific game would be the breakthrough necessary for Messi to become at last leader of a team he's been captain of for a long while.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I agree, i saw some lazy off ball movements, stupid dribbles and headless run from his teammates but Messi is too nice to complain or scream. Thats not enough leadership, in those moment he has to scream!!!! Just be there and score important goals or shake up the confident that way sometimes is just not enough.

But i do hope he will grow more to the leadership part

• History

I agree, i saw some lazy off ball movements, stupid dribbles and headless run from his teammates but Messi is too nice to complain or scream. Thats not enough leadership, in those moment he has to scream, be there and score important goals and shake up the xonfident that way sometimes is just not enough.

But i do hope he will grow more to the leadership part

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

@tuan_jinn Maybe that just me, but I feel like he consider only himself, he feel like he need to score the goal and be the one to make a difference, truth is, he should also focus on making sure is team are doing their best and making a difference. Anyway, we are in agreement.

Yvan21 7 years ago Edited
0 440

Messi is obviously the footballing reference for Argentina. He can lead them to success by doing what he does best, which is dribbling past opponents and making them look like amateurs or setting up his teammates for 1on1 s with the keeper :p But if they want someone in that team a moral leader per se or someone that keep everyone else on check, then maybe Mascherano can fill that role. They don't call him "el jefecito" for nothing.

• History

Messi is obviously the footballing reference for Argentina. He can lead them to success by doing what he does best, which is dribbling past opponents and making them look like amateurs or setting up his teammates for 1on1 s with the keeper :p But if they want someone in that team to be a moral leader per se, then maybe Mascherano can fill that role. They don't call him "el jefecito" for nothing.