Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Suggestion - player ratings tool in highlights?
legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

Just a suggestion - is there any chance we could have a tool on highlights pages where you can rate every players performance out of 10 after a game, and then the averages are displayed?

My thought was that as much as I love the man of the match feature it is sometimes misused by fanboys or people just voting for somebody who played particularly badly.

What does everyone else think?

Comments
iHEARTfootball 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United 38 1000

I'm a maybe on this.

Perhaps I'm just tired and not reading it properly, but from the way I interpret your suggestion, my question would be this:

If your idea is to propose an alternative format, which is rating each of the players out of 10 in every match, how would your idea solve the bias-voting behavior?

If the same majority of users would unfavorably vote for the same player in your system while low-voting the rest (similar concept to the uneven MOTM voting, as you've mentioned), then the average counting would essentially be the same, wouldn't it? It'll just be in a different format. It doesn't sound convincing to me unfortunately.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I'm a maybe on this.

Perhaps I'm just tired and not reading it properly, but from the way I interpret your suggestion, my question would be this:

If your idea is to propose an alternative format, which is rating each of the players out of 10 in every match, how would your idea solve the bias-voting behavior?

If the same majority of users would vote for the same player in your system (just like the uneven MOTM voting, as you've mentioned), then the average counting would essentially be the same, wouldn't it? It'll just be in a different format. It doesn't sound very convincing to me unfortunately.

I'm a maybe on this.

If the same majority of users would vote for the same player in your system (just like the uneven MOTM voting, as you've mentioned), then the average counting would essentially be the same, wouldn't it? It'll just be in a different format. It doesn't sound convincing to me unfortunately.

legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

It wouldn't be instead of the man of the match, rather as an extra.

My point is although people might still vote 10 for Messi/Ronaldo/whoever on every match, they would hopefully be honest about the other players and then you could have a more balanced view on how everyone performed.

There always will be people who abuse it, but they would hopefully be in the minority.

It would also help for people like me who want to recognise great performances by players who did really well but one other player did better. Somebody the other day commented on the Spain Portugal match about how they couldn't believe Isco had a very tiny percentage of votes for MotM, despite playing really really well. The reason was despite Isco giving a phenomenal performance, Ronaldo was (objectively) just a little better than him so everyone voted Ronaldo. Giving ratings to every player who help remedy that and recognise brilliant performances from players who get overlooked.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Not a bad idea, I think one way to combat this is to only allow well known forum users do the voting. That's a good idea.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

People for the most part go to the highlights page because they didn't watch the games themselves (outside of the first few anyway). I'm not certain how effective or reasonable the ratings would be if they were being made by people who did not actually watch the game.

legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

@Sun
fair point, but it's hard to tell whether it's that or whether people who watch the match go to their after to engage in discussion in the comments section. I certainly do that.