Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The Curse of the England Captaincy
Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

I'm sure by now most of you have heard that John Terry has once again been stripped of his England.  I would like to guage people's opinions on the matter because I for one, think it is a disgrace. Let me preface by saying that I am as far as you can get from a supporter of John Terry, but that's not what this is about. The fact is that the FA, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to punish (don't tell me this isn't a punitive measure) one of their players for an allegation that has yet to be confirmed.  They seemingly took the decision with the aim of "remove[ing] the pressure from this situation which should assist all parties involved." In my view, this has accomplished just the opposite. First of all, Terry is said to be contemplating removing himself from the team in protest.  And if he does decide to stay someone else is going to have to replace him as captain in the locker room. I'm sure their won't be any tension there! That person will most probably be Gerrard as Rio Ferdinand has proactively announced that he doesn't want it... you know because it's a f***ing curse that brings nothing but criticism and headaches! 

Now the news is focusing even more on the issue. At the end of the day, the FA have demonstrated that they give no credence to the basic tennants of democracy (viz. presumed innocence until proven guilty)and have managed to do what they do best... fuel the s**tstorm that constantly surrounds their National team.
What are your thoughts?

Comments
Heisinburg 12 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

Terry is a fckin racist and should be banned from the English squad. That's my thought. 

Ihaveabbc 12 years ago
Liverpool, England 7 370

@Heisinburg if terry is a racist then Suarez should be banned from the Uruguayan sqad aswell or not? I don't think any of those two players are racists, they just wanted to provoke.

ChelseaRox10 12 years ago
Chelsea, England U19 142 979

Capello now wants terry as captain again :/

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

OK.I'm not sure if we're on the same page here. Let me clarify. I think JT is a scumbag, but that is completely irrelevant to my point. It is the principle of the issue. My point is that all actions should be suspended until it has been proven that the accused is rightly accused for what he did.  @Heisinburg: You think he is a racist and I'm not saying he's not... but what I am saying is that we cannot, as yet, KNOW he's a racist. The only persons who know exactly what went down were the people right next to him.  The video is inconclusive b/c it doesn't rule out the defense's claim.  

Moreover, the civil complaint was filed by a random QPR fan. Now, imagine if you will, that I filed a complaint in today's match against Gerrard for racially insulting Adebayor.  Should Gerrard then be stripped of the captaincy (assuming he gets it)?  You see the problem, of course?

Lastly, the former FA chairman made the following statement in support of the FA's action:  "The truth is you have a serious allegation, not proved yet of course, but in most organisations it would mean you simply could not go on as you were."  A few of my friends agreed with this sentiment, as I'm sure many of you do.  Well I put it to you that "The fact that an
opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly
absurd." In short, we should not be basing future decisions on illogical precedence. If the FA is a just organization and football is a beacon to the world, as is claimed, then I believe this has been the wrong course of action. 

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

aaaaaannnnd now we see the fruits of the FA. The team is without a captain and now without a manager. Personally, I don't blame Capello, the FA stepped on his toes when they decided to make a decision on the captaincy without his consent.  

Now we should ask who would want to be captain or the manager of this circus?

expertfootball11 12 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

I f only Terry shut up,we won't arrive at this.