Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The Final
Rowley 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 193

I thought i would start this thread early because it gives a lot more time for predictions and discussions before the final.
This final is going to be amazing! So guys, lets see what happens tonight and with the final on sunday, put your debates on here if u want.

Comments
Emobot7 8 years ago Edited
538 11426

Well, at least, we know Portugal will be in there, in my opinion though, they won't be the favorite no matter who they face. Not that it mean they can't win, they certainly can with the quality they have been showing up until now. I think it will be 50-50 for that game no matter who make it to the final and it might end up going to penality. Hard to predict really.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Well, at least, we know Portugal will be in there, in my opinion though, they won't be the favorite no matter who they face. Not that it mean they can't win, they certainly can with the quality they have been showing up until now. I think it will be 50-50 for that game no matter who make it to the final and it might end up going to penality.

Rowley 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 193

Exactly, i dont think they will be the favorite either. Will be a good match though. Very hard to predict, like tonight...

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

It's so tough to predict how Portugal will perform just because you never know when Ronaldo is going to take over the game for ten minutes, such as what happened against Wales. There really wasn't anything the Welsh could've done about either of those goals, and that's what represents the fear factor in the so-called "one man teams" such as Sweden, Portugal, and Wales. Ronaldo showed up, Bale didn't, but then again that could just as easily happen to Ronaldo in the final and Germany/France streamroll the Portuguese. There's no real analysis involved.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash Indeed, then again, Portugal is not all about Ronaldo, they got other good talent that are no pushover. Still, I agree if Ronaldo isn't playing well, its gonna be really tough to beat France.

Amerr30 8 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Even though it probably will not be the case, I will have loved it if Ronaldo lifts the Euro trophy a mere week after Messi lost in the final with a much much better team in a weaker tournament.

That would just be.. you know, the icing on the cake.

I've really enjoyed and loved watching the Euro. I'm sad to see it has to end, but all good things eventually do.

Back to club football, it is. Back to transfer rumors. Back to waiting for Real Madrid to land a big name this summer. Will it be Lewandowski? Pogba? Aubumeyang? Or will it be a completely unnecessary transfer for which funds were made by selling a very important cog in the system? We are owned and operated by.. Perez after all.

Anyway, back to the final.

France will most likely win it. They have a much, much better team. Ronaldo will need to have the best game of his life for Portugal to win this, and Nani will have to help out as well.

I think this is a new beginning, we're seeing a new dynasty form. Since 2000, it was Spain, then Germany although they still have time to go to reach that description. It seems like France is next. France is getting in the way of Germany becoming one with their own. So many great young footballers. A great time to be French (I bet you never thought anybody would ever say that).

• History

Even though it probably will not be the case, I would have loved it if Ronaldo lifts the Euro trophy a mere week after Messi lost in the final with a much much better team in a weaker tournament.

That would just be.. you know, the icing on the cake.

I've really enjoyed and loved watching the Euro. I'm sad to see it has to end, but all good things eventually do.

Back to club football, it is. Back to transfer rumors. Back to waiting for Real Madrid to land a big name this summer. Will it be Lewandowski? Pogba? Aubumeyang? Or will it be a completely unnecessary transfer for which funds were made by selling a very important cog in the system? We are owned and operated by.. Perez after all.

Anyway, back to the final.

France will most likely win it. They have a much, much better team. Ronaldo will need to have the best game of his life for Portugal to win this, and Nani will have to help out as well.

I think this is a new beginning, we're seeing a new dynasty form. Since 2000, it was Spain, then Germany although they still have time to go to reach that description. It seems like France is next. France is getting in the way of Germany becoming one with their own. So many great young footballers. A great time to be French (I bet you never thought anybody would ever say that).

Lilywhite 8 years ago
28 468

I don't agree with those saying Portugal has a "much, much" weaker team than France. I've watched every game of them this tournament because I was absolutely certain we would face them. We didn't, but this Portugal team has something previous Portugal teams has lacked. Defensive organization and a fighting spirit to never give up and never believe the game is over.

They completely shut down a Croatia that ran over Spain, not allowing them a single shot on target in 90 minutes and offensively quality teams like Wales, Poland, Austria, and had the most ridiculous unluck I've ever seen conceding 3 deflection goals against Hungary.

I think the reason so few people catch this about this Portugal side is because traditionally they have always been the side to people that play offensively and "the most beautiful football" in these big tournaments. Now it seems they have changed approach, probably because they are sick of going home in every quarterfinal, semifinal and final. As their coach famously said this tournament:

"I'd much rather play 'ugly' and be here than play pretty and be home."

This France side is quality, but so is the Portuguese. It is packed with less famous and talked about talent than France's, but of high quality nonetheless, and I think this time Portugal will win the whole thing with their incredible fighting spirit.

Ronaldo deserves it, Portugal deserves it after being closer than any team to win a major international tournament but always going home empty-handed.

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

I can see Portugal shutting down the French attack like they have so many other this tournament, but the Germans did that as well and still conceded two goals from what were mistakes that weren't even defensive related. As for the attack, Gomes looks good, and Ronaldo seems to have found his form again, but several players, particularly Joao Mario have really disappointed in the games I've watched.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 0-0 on pk's, but I also would have a hard time not seeing anyone scoring, particularly because France's defense has been very meh all tournament. However, Umtiti did very well today, and I'm assuming he'll start the final, so that could change that plot as well.

porkey 8 years ago
Liverpool, Trinidad and Tobago 9 85

Today france showed how deadly they can be.......Portugal is starting to fire also................... i dont no i think we are in for a cracker..

Dynastian98 8 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I think the final will be a great one. Everyone above is right: the French team is better than the Portuguese team, but this Portuguese team has the character and defensive organization that their previous teams didn't have. Ronaldo doesn't have to play well for Portugal to play well, but he must if Portugal is to win. He can be invisible the entire game, but one second is all it takes for him to come out of nowhere and take the game by the scruff of the neck. I really hope Portugal wins so that Ronaldo can finally lift an international trophy, but any realist would put their money on France.

Amerr30 8 years ago

Lillywhite, you have to look deeper into Portugal's games and you'll see that they have not been spectacular by any definition. They drew with Hungary due to very sloppy defending. If not for Ronaldo, they would've lost that game. The team depended mostly on his individual brilliance, and luckily for them - he delivered.

Looking at Portugals game against Croatia, it is true that Croatia was shut down. However, Croatia is not a strong outfit. Sure, they beat Spain but we all know that Spain has been pretty poor the last 3-4 years. No reason to keep thinking of them as World Champions, even if they still field most of the players from those squads. They're just not that team anymore.

Aside from their win against Wales, this is a team that has not recorded a win in this tournament in regulation time and the teams they've played against are: Austria, Iceland, Hungary, Poland.

You need to look at how France demolished Iceland while Portugal was relatively toothless against them.

Believe me, I do not like to think of a team - any team - as a one player team but this Portugal simply is. When Ronaldo performs, they are flying. When he does not, they have no options, no alternative, no back-up plan. With France team possessing so much physicality, youth, defensive ability in their ranks, it is not hard to see that this game will be one where Ronaldo simply does not perform. He won't be able to. This is not a reflection of his ability but rather one on his teammates ability. If France shuts him down, they have almost nothing to worry about. I don't see any other player in that squad that can stretch their midfield and back-line.

Which is why I've said, Ronaldo will need to have the best game of his life. He will need to show up in way that is reminiscent of his best, the very best Real Madrid / United days.

Of course it could happen, anything could happen. But.. I wouldn't count on it.

Lilywhite 8 years ago
28 468

I agree, Portugal depended on Ronaldo's individual brilliance in the Hungary game, but only because they were extremely unlucky to concede those 3 goals. On a normal day, they would've won that game comfortably. I also agree Spain is not among the best anymore, but Croatia is still a quality team especially offensively, and I'm confident no other national side in the world would have been able to do what Portugal did to them, not allowing them a single chance. Maybe, maybe Italy or Germany.

We've heard the argument that "Portugal hasn't won a single game" etc. 1 million times this tournament, but to me that opinion represents people that haven't watched Portugal's games. Given you just used that argument, I'm quite confident you didn't watch their games, especially in the group.

They had the most chances created of any team in the competition during the group stages. The game vs Austria is one of the most one-sided games I've ever watched in an international tournament. Would've been 3/4-0 on a normal day. The Hungary game I already explained, and in the Iceland game Portugal were the clearly better side, again. Same against Poland and Wales. It was only vs Croatia it should've gone either way, but Portugal showed fighting spirit in the end and won.

France scored on every single chance vs Iceland. Had Ronaldo been in form/more lucky, Portugal would've won that game 3-1 or 4-1.

I know there's a lot of "would haves" and "should haves", but the fact is that Portugal in this tournament has had the most ridiculous unluck not to win at least two thirds of their games. Then again, they've had positive karma not to face the most difficult opponents on their way.

I just don't buy into the "have only now won one game in 90 minutes" argument after watching all their games.

VAMOSBenfica 8 years ago
15 183

Have to echo what Lilywhite is saying here. Portugal have been an extremely unlucky team inside their games this Euro. And as Emobot is saying, Portugal is by no means all about Ronaldo. But like in any other team, Ronaldo will be the key player and if on his day, he will make the difference. Portugal have the quality players around him, so no surprise if they beat France.

tiki_taka 8 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

I think that Portugal showed that they are more that a one man army, Ronaldo was Motm twice in 5 games vs Hungary and lately vs Wales. Renato was decisive, Pepe was their main weapon as much as I hate saying it. The coach tactics have been brilliant and they didn't face any contender yet.
I believe if Italy or Spain were in the other part of the table specially Italy things would have been different for the finalist. I don't agree on the part that the opposition Argentina faced were weaker, different kind of Football in South America, against Panama and USA Messi did wonders and In a euro group stage he could have done better any day.
Chile is a different story, no team faced by Portugal can be compared to Chile. The only thing comparable is facing a fierce hosts in the final, let's see if Ronaldo would be motm, in this kind of games he usually disappear.
Since reaching a final and loosing it isn't considered as an achievement by most of Messi haters, if Ronaldo doesn't win he won't have a better treatment.
I also hate his press conference after a win as if his teammates does not exist, suddenly he only remember them being part of the game when he looses a game.
Ronaldo's Portugal isn't scary for France, the final imo and the hardest game was played vs Germany WC holders, Portugal despite the spirit they show can not match Germany on paper nor on the pitch, their first win in 90 min was on semi final vs a non experienced Wales... Don't expect us to throw flowers on Ronaldo after the whole display and specially on how Messi ( motm in every single game ) got treated after the final defeat.
Ronaldo must deliver, having biased fans do not make him escape criticism...

Amerr30 8 years ago

^ Sheesh..

Don't you think it'd be a good idea to avoid arguing the imaginary voices in your head in such a public setting?

Anyway. (shakes head)

@Lilywhite:

I partially agree with you. Hungary was very lucky to have scored the three goals. Portugal was the better team. Just as they were in some others as well, with perhaps the exception of Iceland. I thought Iceland outplayed Portugal. In any case, if what you're talking about had happened in only one game in this tournament, your point would have merit. I would call it an unlucky day, and move on. That however has not been the case.

One of the most consistent things about Portugal in this tournament has been their inability to take their dominance and reflect it on the score-line. When that happens once, you can make the point you've made but when it happens again, and again - than that is simply the description of that team. An honest reflection of their ability as a team. That is what they do.

Another thing I want to point out is that they have not just been unlucky. They've barely squeezed pass Poland only to face Wales, who have for some inexplicable reason eliminated a much better side in Belgium. If Portugal had come up against that Belgium, I promise you that they would not have made it to the final. So it's not like lady luck hasn't smiled on them also, and perhaps they're the one team who has had that happen to them the most in this tournament judging by the teams they've faced to reach the final.

Again, I will list the teams that they've faced on their way to the final. Hungary, Austria, Poland, Wales, Croatia. Only one win in regular time. This is simply not a team that is a serious contender for the title, and anybody who says otherwise is deluding themselves.

Lily, I'm not a hater. I would like it if Portugal wins the trophy. Ronaldo deserves a major trophy with Portugal. I'm just being realistic here. It is extremely unlikely. The final of this tournament was played in the semi-final, between Germany and France.

rayrex7 8 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

Portugal vs France on Paper will be an easy prediction. But in reality, it will be a tough call. No team is a one man army, its just some teams with certain players have an extra push, that's it. If Portugal's defense and midfield were on their toes, that will give us the edge cause Frances midfield are always attacking and leaving tons of spaces behind. I don't care about what everyone thinks about Ronaldo, whether he performs or not, as long as they win and ALL the players have their winning mentality on. That's good enough.

Ronaldo on the line-up is enough to make an impact. I know that not many of you see this, but Ronaldo running clumsily also makes an impact. Nani, Renato and Joa mario are given space thanks to ronaldo. Defenders will be behind him, and the midfielders will be cautious of him. When they go on the counter, at least 3 players will stick with Ronaldo giving space on the other end. Defenders aren't worry about nani or anyone, even if they had their season of their lives, they wont have as much impact as messi/ronaldo. Ronaldo also doesnt need to be playing the game of his life, if he can manage to score on early goal, be it a penalty, tap in, defending leading to error goal, a gift from the opposition because of perez, etc. whatever you guys want to call it, that will give him a boost. Just like what you see vs wales and Hungary.

I predict a win for France, however if Portugal manage to dominate the midfield, they can it.

If they win it, I will laugh seriously and wait in the hate and comments from people around the globe, that Ronaldo has won the euro by sheer luck. You heard it here first.

2010 WC - Group of death
2012 Euro- Group of death
2014 WC- Germany, Ghana and USA (also tough group)
2016 Euro - Iceland (quarter finalist) Austria, Hungary are both ok teams but we w outplayed both teams but simply unlucky.

Plus why is everyone acting as if France had to face the toughest teams?

Romania, Switzerland, Albania, Ireland, Iceland, Germany.
Hungary, Austria, Iceland, Croatia, Poland, Wales.

I am pretty sure Portugal had a tougher time than France. Plus France didn't outplay Germany, they just scored from two idiotic mistakes.

@tiki Messi did great, we know that. However just look at his line-up, Di maria-Aguero/Higuain-Messi. Do you actually think defenders will leave the 2 forwards and focus on messi? Why Do you think 2014/2015 Messi was his elite best? Well, thank Suarez and Neymar. When they surge forward defenders cant keep up, so They just try their best on 1v1. Once again no disrespect but I won't even try to take your comment seriously, simply because you are a barcelona fan. Your perspective on Ronaldo's football is 180 degrees different than others and vice versa for Madrid fans on Messi. But I dont know what you are talking about when in the conference room? Ronaldo has praised his teammates multiple time its uncountable, stop trying to tarnish his name, this statement is utterly pointless.

tiki_taka 8 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@amer how about giving an argument ? I know its hard for a noob to argumentate his view but since you answer, the sheesh is not enough, at leaest here i dont know what US forum you used to talk in. Probably a pro Madrid useless forum at least for our intelligence.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11426

@tiki No need to call Amer a noob lad, I don't mind a bit of arguing but it would be nicer if we could be polite while we do it. I'm just saying. ;p

Lilywhite 8 years ago
28 468

Amer, I love my Belgium, but we would have lost to this Portugal side if we had made the semis. They simply have much more maturity and experience than us, so to say that Portugal would never have a chance against us is quite disrespectful to the ability and quality of this Portugal side to be honest.

Portugal is a serious contender for this title and every other Euro/World Cup. They're a class team. Again, you brought up the "only one win in regular time". What I try to explain is Portugal would simply with a bit of luck have beaten 5 of those 6 games with a comfortable margin. That's why I say that this Portugal side have been extremely unlucky inside the games, not with the draws. It doesn't tell anything about their low ability to pull out wins in my opinion, because when a team is scoring offside goals that aren't offside, hitting posts and bars, and missing penalties, it is simply unlucky.

Getting very tired of all the disrespect (even though you seem like a good guy Amer) I read of this Portugal team. The final of this tournament is France vs Portugal, and both teams are fully deserved in final.

Amerr30 8 years ago Edited

@tiki: You really do live in that little head of yours, don't you? I've had discussions and arguments with you, many times over. Each and every single time, the result was the same. You make a point, I counter it, you start talking about something else. I counter that, you go somewhere else. It's like chasing a rabbit through holes. As entertaining as something like that may be for you, I told you countless of times that I will refuse to get into any kind of a serious discussion with you. It is simply not going to happen.

I may respond to you sarcastically or in a joking manner since to me, you are a punch-line to a joke that desperately keeps trying to reinvigorate itself.

This is probably like the fourth time you've used insults to bait me into a discussion with you after I've told you that I will be avoiding you.

You remind me of that quote, "insanity is trying to do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results."

In addition, if I were to discuss anything with you, that quote would apply to me. So I hope you see why it's not going to happen.

EDIT:

Again Lily, I'll just say this. Once unlucky. Twice, really? Three, four? When do you stop blaming the forces of the unseen?

In any case, I do apologize if I may have disrespected Portugal. I do myself think they're a class team. Certainly a team with a big presence and influence in the World Football. If it did seem like I disrespected them, it was only because I was comparing them to France and Germany. Those are the two best NT teams in Europe right now, bar none. I was talking about Portugal in comparison to those teams, because only then do they look like weak side.

In any other scenario, Portugal is a fantastic team and do deserve tremendous amount of respect.

But I do disagree with you in regards to how they'd do against Belgium. Belgium are much more well rounded team, and have more ability and flexibility in almost all areas with the exception of CR.

• History

@tiki: You really do live in that little head of yours, don't you? I've had discussions and arguments with you, many times over. Each and every single time, the result was the same. You make a point, I counter it, you start talking about something else. I counter that, you go somewhere else. It's like chasing a rabbit through holes. As entertaining as something like that may be for you, I told you countless of times that I will refuse to get into any kind of a serious discussion with you. It is simply not going to happen.

I may respond to you sarcastically or in a joking manner since to me, you are a punch-line to a joke that desperately keeps trying to reinvigorate itself.

This is probably like the fourth time you've used insults to bait me into a discussion with you after I've told you that I will be avoiding you.

You remind me of that quote, "insanity is trying to do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results."

In addition, if I were to discuss anything with you, that quote would apply to me. So I hope you see why it's not going to happen.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11426

@Amerr Well, to be sincere, I think Belgium would have needed less injured player to really dominate Portugal. With the roster they had against Wales, it would have been a though game for them. But I agree with Amerr that they could have beat them.