Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The most underrated player of all time
amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Who do you think is the most underrated footballer of all time? No need for a poll, as there are too many possibilities. Mine has to be David Trezeguet. Leave yours below.

Comments
ramaboy10 7 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Garrincha

NovaRuk 7 years ago
Real Madrid/Barcelona, Malaysia 17 741

Fernando Peyroteo

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Has to be either Bergkamp or Effenberg.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Michael Laudrup? Garrincha is a pretty good one too. There's some more players from the 30's and 40's, such as Giuseppe Meazza and Valentino Mazzola, that not many people know about.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

In recent times, probably Marchisio.

My long-term knowledge of soccer is pretty much restricted to world cups, so I'm not as familiar of underrated players from long ago.

Amerr30 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

Amer Hodzic.

He used to be very very talented as a young kid, playing for clubs such as Zeljeznicar FK, and some other football academies through his youth, he had a very bright future in football.

However, in 2000, he ended up moving to United States, and all dreams of playing professional football died right then and there.

Very fast and technical with an accurate and strong right foot. He was the perfect right winger.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Amer Hodzic.

He used to be very very talented as a young kid, playing for clubs such as Zeljeznicar FK, and some other football academies through his youth, he had a very bright future in football.

However, in 2000, he ended up moving to United States, and all dreams of playing professional football died right then and there.

Amer Hodzic.

Very fast and technical, very accurate and strong right foot. He was the perfect right winger.

diehardMANUTDfan 7 years ago
Manchester United, Indonesia 1 76

Michael Carrick. It can be only Michael Carrick.
enter image description here

Abo_Zogom 7 years ago
Arsenal 0 240

Denis Bergkamp

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Wait a second... how are Laudrup and Garraincha underrated? They're two of the most celebrated names in the game! Maybe the kids today have never heard of them, but that doesn't stop them regularly being referred to (rightly) as two of the finest players to have ever lived...

• History

Wait a second... how are Laudrup and Garraincha under-rated? They're two of the most celebrated names in the game! Maybe the kids today have never heard of them, but that doesn't stop them regularly being referred to (rightly) as two of the finest players to have ever lived...

KTBFFHSWE 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

You still got a myspace profile Amer. Good for you!

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Xavi.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Marco Van Basten due to short career injury killed it.
Georges Weah from Liberia, couldnt have a national glory due to civilian war.
Arjen Robben would have a different career if he wasn't injury prone player. Same for phenomeno.
Signori Due to loyalty toward Bologna.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

I've never heard Laudrup being referred to as an all-time great outside of Spain (although I'm sure the Scandinavians regard him, no doubt)... which I find quite surprising. Garrincha is well celebrated in South America, but recognition for him seems to be on the decline as everything in Brazil during the 60's seems to be attributed to Pele nowadays. :/

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Tiki: I dont think any of those are underrated. They are all in the highest profile group of the game.

This is really hard, especially nwith nowaday media. A player score an awesome goal, he will be hyped as Messi heir or the next Ronaldo 7...😂😂

@Dynast:

Thankfully, Laudrup gets some recognition in Britain:

I guess I figured that everyone felt that way about him. Ah well.

But yeah, the Pele Worship has overshadowed many greats of that day. Garrincha essentially pulled a Maradona...

...before Maradona.

• History

@Dynast:

Thankfully, Laudrup gets some recognition in Britain:

I guess I figured that everyone felt that way about him. Ah well.

But yeah, the Pele Worship has overshadowed many greats of that day. Garrincha essentially pulled a Maradona...

...before Maradona.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Gianfranco Zola

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

I wouldn't consider SkySports to be reflective of all British football fans... The majority of EPL fans I've met don't watch a single game of another league outside of El Clasico. I'm guessing that it's similar in England as well where fans almost entirely focus on English football. Considering Laudrup spent his prime wreaking havoc in Spain, I'm not certain if he gets the respect he deserves throughout the world.

Laudrup was basically Iniesta...

...before Iniesta.

EDIT:: Raul once said that Laudrup was the best player he has ever played with - even better than Zidane.

• History

@Lodatz

I wouldn't consider SkySports to be reflective of all British football fans... The majority of EPL fans I've met don't watch a single game of another league outside of El Clasico. I'm guessing that it's similar in England as well where fans almost entirely focus on English football. Considering Laudrup spent his prime wreaking havoc in Spain, I'm not certain if he gets the respect he deserves throughout the world.

Laudrup was basically Iniesta...

...before Iniesta.

I wouldn't consider SkySports to be reflective of all British football fans...

I think SkySports is reflective of overall British football culture, most certainly. Although they did price a lot of people out of the market, giving BT etc a chance to get in on the domestic rights.

The majority of EPL fans I've met don't watch a single game of another league outside of El Clasico

I can't help you there. Are they Americans?

I'm guessing that it's similar in England as well where fans almost entirely focus on English football.

Well, not really no. Maybe the general, non-fan public only pays attention to English football, but football fans themselves are always watching football from around the continent. If we're talking pre-internet, then sure, most fans only got to watch whatever football was being shown on TV (which wasn't as much as you think), or by going to the games themselves. In England I remember Match of the Day every week, showcasing the highlights of the weekend's football, and a show on Channel 4 about Serie A, which was the best league in the world at the time.

Not unlike, say, Spain, where until the internet age not a single person watched anything other than La Liga, and people in North America watched nothing at all. Now you've got NBC, beIN, FSN etc, all turning people into instant experts because they listened to Eric Wynalda or what-have-you. That's the reason why most Americans say 'EPL' instead of 'PL'; they've been conditioned into it by US-based coverage, because US broadcasters don't understand the contextual difference between the English league and the Russian league.

Laudrup was basically Iniesta... ...before Iniesta.

Yep. I've heard that comparison before. I think it was even in the SkySports video.

• History

I think SkySports is reflective of overall British football culture, most certainly. Although they did price a lot of people out of the market, giving BT etc a chance to get in on the domestic rights.

The majority of EPL fans I've met don't watch a single game of another league outside of El Clasico

I'm guessing that it's similar in England as well where fans almost entirely focus on English football.

Well, not really no. Maybe the general, non-fan public only pays attention to English football, but football fans themselves are always watching football from around the continent. If we're talking pre-internet, then sure, most fans only got to watch whatever football was being shown on TV (which wasn't as much as you think), or by going to the games themselves. In England I remember Match of the Day every week, showcasing the highlights of the weekend's football, and a show on Channel 4 about Serie A, which was the best league in the world at the time.

Not unlike, say, Spain, where until the internet age not a single person watched anything other than La Liga, and people in North America watched nothing at all. Such is life.

Yep. I've heard that comparison before. I think it was even in the SkySports video.

Not unlike, say, Spain, where until the internet age not a single person watched anything other than La Liga, and people in North America watched nothing at all. Now you've got NBC, beIN, FSN etc, all turning people into instant experts because they listened to Eric Wynalda or what-have-you. That's the reason why most Americans say 'EPL' instead of 'PL'; they've been conditioned into it by US-based coverage.