Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Van Basten's ideas for the future of football
quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

FIFA technical director Marco van Basten has floated a radical blueprint for the future of football which would see offside abolished and sin-bins introduced.

enter image description here

• Abolish the offside rule
  • Give players eight seconds to run at the goal from 25 metres instead of the traditional penalty
  • Limit players to five fouls, then they can get orange card
  • Play four quarters, rather than two halves
  • Restricting players to maximum games a year

So, what exactly is this guy smoking?

Comments
Zakzook 7 years ago
Arsenal, Syria 32 785

It seems ridiculous to you because you're used to the current rules.

1- Offside rule didn't always exist, but I don't agree with him in this specific case. However, the goalkeeper version of the offside rule is ridiculous though. Also, maybe offside rule should be less strict, like give a 2 meter or less distance offside rule. The main purpose of the offside rule is to restrict offensive players from just sitting far up the field, which can be achieved without being so strict.

2- This is definitely better than a penalty. Penalties are completely unlike anything in the game, they're very unnatural and don't really describe a player's ability that well. Also there is the notion that they rely on luck. 25 meter 1v1 seems better.

3- What does the orange card do? If it just suspends them for this match (like in basketball) then I'm all for it. Though 6 or maybe 7 fouls is more reasonable as you can easily commit 5 fouls in 90 mins.

4- Again this seems to be linked to basketball. This might be good as players won't be playing for a ridiculous 45 mins without rest. Football might gain quality because the players wouldn't be as tired. Other debates talk about how the football field is too big (you ever tried paying on an official football field?). Some say the field should be made smaller so we can have more action.

5- I think this is just so that players wouldn't get too exhausted from playing 60 games (or maybe more) a season.

Overall, the game hasn't had rule changes for a very long time and is possibly becoming stale. Rules have changed in the past and they can change now. It might be better for the game in the long run.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Good points @zakzook except: that's why football is football, team needs long run tactic and short run, the true champion hence can be defined better.

And,

Rules changes for better, should never be for the sake of changing :(.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

My view

1. I think they need to readjust it somehow, but not get rid of it, that could lead to players goalhanging

2. I don't get this one, could someone explain it more. Does he run without the ball or something?

3. Disagree

4. I agree with this a little, but then they should increase the matches from 90 to 120 minutes, so they play 30 minutes worth of footballers. Breaks should be for 5 minutes.

5. Disagree
Tuanis 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Abolish the offside rule - Would be a mess. It is the single most important tactical rule in football now a days. Just use sideline tech.

Give players eight seconds to run at the goal from 25 metres instead of the traditional penalty. - Could work, Ive seen it and it is way more entertaining.

Limit players to five fouls, then they can get orange card. - This could work as well. Keeping track of it would be hard. Orange card might be a red card but you can replace the guy. I dont know how many takles do defenders or any player makes on average in a game..

Play four quarters, rather than two halves. - Why....?

Restricting players to maximum games a year. - Again why?

Madridista11 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@Zakzook +1

Why the radical change? I honestly would love to know what this guy is on, @quikzyyy. Van Basten is a legend but we must call out the BS when we smell it.

Firstly, the offside rule must remain. There's a reason why it has been implemented, after all. Cherry picking kills the competitive nature in this sport and without the offside rule the game will be less tactical. I need to know the details about this idea cause it doesn't sound right.

Give players eight seconds to run at the goal from 25 metres instead of the traditional penalty

Something like this? Interesting...

Limit players to five fouls, then they can get orange card

Nonononononononononono. No. Think about how players like Diego Costa and the like would use this to their advantage. The problem with this rule is that it is not detailed. What happens if, lets say, I tackled a player from behind while being 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper in the 87th minute? Red Card. Now, imagine the same scenario, ONLY the foul committed is actually my second foul. Now what, a regular free kick then? No disciplinary actions taken? And what the hell is the orange card for lmao.

Play four quarters, rather than two halves

I could see why this rule should be implemented, but this will make the game longer and will increase the amount of ads in between quarters. enter image description here

Edit: I miss understood the last one. This one should be up to the players, medical staff, and the management. If players could go 50+ without feeling tired or drained, it should be up to the organization if they want to grant the player's wishes.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Zakzook +1

Why the radical change? I honestly would love to know what this guy is on, @quikzyyy. Van Basten is a legend but we must call out the BS when we smell it.

Firstly, the offside rule must remain. There's a reason why it has been implemented, after all. Cherry picking kills the competitive nature in this sport and without the offside rule the game will be less tactical. I need to know the details about this idea cause it doesn't sound right.

Give players eight seconds to run at the goal from 25 metres instead of the traditional penalty

Something like this? Interesting...

Limit players to five fouls, then they can get orange card

Nonononononononononono. No. Think about how players like Diego Costa and the like would use this to their advantage. The problem with this rule is that it is not detailed. What happens if, lets say, I tackled a player from behind while being 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper in the 87th minute? Red Card. Now, imagine the same scenario, ONLY the foul committed is actually my second foul. Now what, a regular free kick then? No disciplinary actions taken? And what the hell is the orange card for lmao.

Play four quarters, rather than two halves

I could see why this rule should be implemented, but this will make the game longer and will increase the amount of ads in between quarters. enter image description here

Restricting players to maximum games a year

Sure. Go ahead with this one. My only suggestion is that they don't throw out max suspensions around like its Christmas. We wouldn't want to give the same punishment for two actions of different magnitudes.

cr7real 7 years ago
Galatasaray, Turkey 0 66

Orange card would be interesting I think Van basten exaggerated the rules. the Offside rule dont abolish. we dont need to write anything anymore about football or we should not add new something. All we need to do is to heal the rules by using the tecnology. That's why I disagree all of them

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Thanks Madridista, I guess I disagree then. They shouldn't do that if the player was fouled in the box.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

Some of these are interesting to some level but most seem a bit far-fetched. Anyway, it won't become a reality anytime soon, thats for sure. I expect at least 5 or 10 year to start implementing some of these rule. Would love to see a trial game without offside and with four quarter with two of the biggest team in the bussiness and see how this influence the game though. :D

OnceABlueAlwaysABlue 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 5 211

Stupid!! I respect the guy, but those changes are totally crazy... don't agree with any of them and think that such radical changes to the game would ruin it! Especially the penalty run up and orange card... like how technical do you want to make it! :(

liomessi10 7 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

saw them a few days ago absolutely love them. especi`lly the penalty rule!

saatvik10 7 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

Offside rule is fine as it is.

I don't like this idea of an orange card. In my opinion there should be an orange card which should be given when a player does a serious but also not so serious offence. The card would mean that the player stays on, but misses the next game.

Like Emo said, trial games should be there with 4 quarters so that we can see what effect it has on players.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

@saatvik Indeed, they will have to hold a lots of trial game if they really want to let any of these rule become mainstream.

Tuanis 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

@Madridista11

more like this:

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11429

@tuanis Thats actually pretty cool. Much more dynamic than nowaday's pen for sure in my opinion. :D

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Offside rule is one of the complicated tactic that separate the good and the sucky defense (defend shouldn't be just about tackling or being strong).

@tuanis: love that

Wazza2000 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 1 29

what the heck is this guy on??????
they're completely ridiculous ideas!!!1