Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

VAR in FiFA WC 2018
_Pelle_ 6 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6884

So FiFA will use VAR during the world cup.

Pochettino for some reason said the decision is a nightmare... and I couldn't disagree more. We don't want a "hand of god" or controversial situations like the England vs Germany ones from 1966 and 2010 determining the outcome of a game.

It is still relatively new and people should give it some time. But what do you think? Is it good or bad?

Comments
quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

It is perfect decision, is Pochettino scared of VAR that Dele Alli will be caught diving? We all remember the terrible referee decisions as you already stated and I don't want another 2002 Korea/Japan fixed world cup.

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Man I'm scared of the referees in charge of VAR. The system itself is not the issue. But there have been so many wrong calls even with the VAR. Look at Spurs this weekend getting a goal ruled offside even after review showed Son was actually onside.

I think this system had to be used in Euros and other international cups first till it's 100% refined and flawless. As it stands, this system is more currptable than the refs without it.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Raimondo I know man, I'm all for it but only if the ref use it rightly, the way I see it, they sometime doesn't seem to understand at all when it should be used. For me, it shouldn't only be the main ref who chose when to use but the assistant in charge of VAR who also call the ref when he see something the ref is about to call wrong. Also, it annoy me they refuse to let us see what the ref see, I don't know if its to protect the ref, but I feel it would be easy to use the system to fix a match at the moment. I still remember that Club World Cup semi-finale where Real had a bunch of VAR call against for very little reason. Hope it won't be as bad because used good, it would get rid of a lot of controversy around football. :(

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Russia making the game better.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Well this can lead to 15 min extra times because referees take a lot of time. I have mixed feelings about it.

SunFlash 6 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

Well this can lead to 15 min extra times because referees take a lot of time. I have mixed feelings about it.

Anyone who has even seen VAR knows this is false. It takes a minute max, in the MLS (where it has now been used for a year) it rarely takes over 20-30 seconds, which is faster than a chat the ref would have with his assistant.

Besides, I'm sure the Mexicans in 2010 would've taken eight hours of added time if it meant that call was correct. Ditto USA 2010. Ditto England 2010. I sure remember a lot of 2010, but you get the idea.

Keep in mind, VAR is not perfect, it simply gives the referee all the tools they need to make the correct decision. If they still get it wrong, that's not VAR's fault, it's the refs being retarded.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Anyone who has even seen VAR knows this is false. It takes a minute max, in the MLS (where it has now been used for a year) it rarely takes over 20-30 seconds, which is faster than a chat the ref would have with his assistant.

Besides, I'm sure the Mexicans in 2010 would've taken eight hours of added time if it meant that call was correct. Ditto USA 2010. Ditto England 2010. I sure remember a lot of 2010, but you get the idea.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

If they still get it wrong, that's not VAR's fault, it's the refs being retarded.

I completely agree Sun, however, I'm really worried we going to get a lot or at least some of them especially in the early part of the tournament.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

VAR is needed very much, the sooner it's used the sooner it should get better.

But I don't believe in that ref can be "retarded" there is still corruption in football as well and refs that are chosen for the World Cup should be the best of the best meaning that they went a long way to be able to do their job there, if there is someone retarded there then their whole system doesn't work or it's rigged.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Well if you watch guys Serie A, it’s already the case. Cagliari-Lazio game, foul on the box at 70th, ref stopped the game in 72th went off the pitch. Took 6 minutes, gave PK at 77th was shooted at 79th. It took almost 10 minutes for only one single decision, image If it’s used for many cases in a single game...
I’m not really against, I just don’t want Football to turn into NBA.
In a game where most of games are decided by one goal margin, breaking a team momentum can impact heavily the outcome comparing to precision sports like Basketball.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@tiki Did the player complained to the ref? That may take extra time if they do, after all, there is the ancestral tradition of trying to get the ref to go back on his decision when there is a pen.

_Pelle_ 6 years ago

One thing I like is instead for using the VAR when the ref wants to... it should be given to each team to challenge a decision 3 times with the help of VAR. The VAR refs will still have something to say about it though. But if the coach is given the responsibility to call for VAR no whining against the head refs can be done. A little bit like in tennis. Could be something to think about and develop for football.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Pelle This, no one would complain if this was used. So simple and yet, I doubt we'll see something like that anytime soon. :(

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Yeah but sometimes you can call the challenge to waste time and there we go, it will be used like time off, all coaches would use their 3 challenges even if not needed. Specially at the end of the game...
Imo only offsides should be looked at, that’s quick decisions and should be given directly to central ref so they do not stop the game.

Emo, in that game ref didn’t Whistled the PK and then 2 min later hesitated after being pressured by home team, it was 50-50 ball between CF and CB.
Actually in some cases, ref decisions cannot be solved at 100% even with VAR, handball issues we all disagree on it even after watching replays, same with soft challenge.

If used efficienciently, it could be a real upgrade, but I still have mixed feelings on this...

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I like the idea of having a challenge per team, 3 seems too much but to be able to request a review of a situation at least once per team if needed after a penalty or red card or something like that sounds great.

_Pelle_ 6 years ago Edited

@ tiki_taka: yeah but you challenge a decision made... and only during specific situations like penalty, crucial offside etc... And for each call you add that time as extra time in the end, so using it to waste time won't help. And for difficult situations ppl just have to learn to respect the authority of the ref to a certain degree.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@ tiki_taka: yeah but you challenge a decision made... and only during specific situations like penalty, crucial offside etc... And for each call you add that time as extra time in the end, so using it to waste time won't help.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golazo 2 would be more fair imo. Not as worse as 3 but more than a single use which could be crucial in certain game.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Emo thing is that if 4 bad calls happen in a game the ref is pretty bad so that's why I kinda limited to 1 per team but I get what you mean.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

@pelle Ok then, they can ask for challenge but the ref can refuse if he feels it’s for momentum break. Anyway only experiencing it would prove us right or wrong.

Well anyway, the “ sport of the poor “ is becoming less and less equal. Tv rights, tickets, shirts and equipment price tags, now some will have VAR other leagues or nations won’t....

I’m not playing the conservative card, I just have mixed feelings, too much technology can take some magic from the game. Controversial calls threads or reports are also the most comented for a reason... I don’t know wait and see...

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

BEST DECISION EVER

It bothers me so much to listen and read about people complaining about the use of the VAR with such stupid arguments.
It might be an impopular opinion but I would rather give up "passion" or continuity in the game if it is for the benefit of fairness. People say it will become NFL style paused game or it will lack passion as you can no longer know for sure if a play is going to be overruled.

Just like its been mentioned here I would like to add that it would be great if replays were played in the stadium and managers could have the chance to ask for the use of the VAR instead of leaving it to the ref to decide when. Next big step is making the time stop when the ball goes out or the play stops for injury or fouls in general. That way managers and players don't wast time on purpose.

Hopefully, the VAR is used currently during the cup because if something bad happens with it, some controversy or anything could kill the only option of fair football we've ever had, for ever.