Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Video Replay
Golefty 7 years ago Edited
Toronto FC 27 1016

A friend and I were talking about how video tech could be implemented without slowing down the game - like to hear what you guys think

More and more do we see the need for Video Replay, while goal line technology has had a positive effect on the game more could be done.

We cannot replace the decision of the refs but only help the refs . A Ref takes into account the context of the game when making calls which a computer would not . For instance, some refs want a fast moving games with few interruptions so they are lenient on tackles, while other refs are very strict. Also some refs are less likely to give away penalties on big games, other well.. Also i think a computer would have a hard time giving out fouls for diving.spitting. celebrations, - the game needs human judgement - or could we call it judicious reasoning

I would also like to distinguish that when i refer to video tech i am talking aout the tech that uses video to measure distances in 3d space, whereas video replay is just reviewing an indecent at multiple angle s

We deciced that (please feel free to disagree)

video technology/replay should only be used in two scenarios
when an offside play results in a goal

This way the play is stopped anyways and would not run down the clock very much because video technology could easily spot an offside play faster than a human eye could.

When a penalty is called

Video tech would be used to ensure foul occurred inside 18 yard box - And video replay would be used to allow the
Referee to watch the foul from multiple angles - This would only take a minute or so , which is about the same amount of time that the players spend organizing themselves and running around yelling at the refs when a penalty is given-

However it is not so simple and there are many situations and problems that could arise and Id like to discuss that

Question

1. If an offside play results in a goal and the linesman does not call it, would video tech overrule the linesman decision-

2. If a onside play results in a goal and is called offside- would the video tech overrule the linesman

3. When reviewing footage of fouls should the clock be stopped? or should it be consider extra time?

4. Can you think of other instances that would cause problems?

If video tech was used in this way it would not "ruin " the game. Refs often dont have the best views off a tackle. I think refs would appreciate being able to see multiple angles that way they would make less mistakes and be criticized less.

In general We would lose the uniqueness of football matches if video replay was used on fouls outside of the box. But in some instances it should be implemented carefully to make things more fair.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

A friend and I were talking about how video tech could be implemented without slowing down the game - like to hear what you guys think

More and more do we see the need for Video Replay, while goal line technology has had a positive effect on the game more could be done.

We cannot replace the decision of the refs but only help the refs . A Ref takes into account the context of the game when making calls which a computer would not . For instance, some refs want a fast moving games with few interruptions so they are lenient on tackles, while other refs are very strict. Also some refs are less likely to give away penalties on big games, other well.. Also i think a computer would have a hard time giving out fouls for diving.spitting. celebrations, - the game needs human judgement - or could we call it judicious reasoning

I would also like to distinguish that when i refer to video tech i am talking aout the tech that uses video to measure distances in 3d space, whereas video replay is just reviewing an indecent at multiple angle s

We deciced that (please feel free to disagree)

video technology/replay should only be used in two scenarios
when an offside play results in a goal

This way the play is stopped anyways and would not run down the clock very much because video technology could easily spot an offside play faster than a human eye could.

When a penalty is called

Video tech would be used to ensure foul occurred inside 18 yard box - And video replay would be used to allow the
Referee to watch the foul from multiple angles - This would only take a minute or so , which is about the same amount of time that the players spend organizing themselves and running around yelling at the refs when a penalty is given-

However it is not so simple and there are many situations and problems that could arise and Id like to discuss that

Question

1.If an offside play results in a goal and the linesman does not call it, would video tech overrule the linesman decision-

1. If a onside play results in a goal and is called offside- would the video tech overrule the linesman

2. When reviewing footage of fouls should the clock be stopped? or should it be consider extra time?

3. Can you think of other instances that would cause problems?

If video tech was used in this way it would not "ruin " the game. Refs often dont have the best views off a tackle. I think refs would appreciate being able to see multiple angles that way they would make less mistakes and be criticized less.

In general We would lose the uniqueness of football matches if video replay was used on fouls outside of the box. But in some instances it should be implemented carefully to make things more fair.

Comments
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

Fair enough point, I think that would be a good way to make sure it wouldn't change the flow of a game too much. +1

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I completely agree, but I would like to add another incident.

Uncalled fouls/Red cards or questionable reds

By uncalled fouls I mean incidents like Zidane's headbutt.

Red cards and questionable reds/yellows should also be called because sometimes referees give yellows instead of reds (or vice-versa) because of the angle they view it from. I think they'd prefer viewing it from another angle. If it's just a harsh yellow, the FA can simply overturn it after the game.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Dynastian

Yep, that's how it's going to work in MLS this season, as I've posted about here.

I feel as though video replay can only get more support as questionable decisions continue, and the only real question is if it happens sooner or later for European soccer - as of the midway point in MLS this season it is already going to be a reality in North America.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

i'm against this.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Nothing to do with that pk you just got against Milan I'm sure lol

Carb_Jr 7 years ago
Juventus 1 140

I'm against this as well. All mistakes are part of the game, why change things now?

As for Milan, I'm sure if we had video replay, it would show/confirm that the pk was indeed a hand ball, offside goal...

Golefty 7 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@sunflash - i will check out that thread- it seams that north Americans in general are more open to video replay, maybe becuase our sports have had it for so long,

@Dynastian - I see what your saying ,but the goal is not to slow the game down to much. As far as incidents like zidane, the governing bodies will review footage and pic the punishment- and we dont want to take power away from the refs, just give them tools to make better more accurate decisions

@Gonzi - can you add a little more? why are you against it?

@carb_Jr - hahaha if you had video replay than there would be no reason for Ac milan fans to complain and people would stop accusing Juve of match fixing. I think it would be great for the image of football in general. If the mistakes are more often in your favour i can see why you said that :P

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

hahaha if you had video replay than there would be no reason for Ac milan fans to complain and people would stop accusing Juve of match fixing. I think it would be great for the image of football in general. If the mistakes are more often in your favour i can see why you said that :P

100% agreed, that would help Juventus reputation tremendously. Don't see why you would like mistake to happen in the first place, not saying they shouldn't be any, but the least possible would be the best in my opinion.

raimondo90 7 years ago Edited
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

My question, say a foul is committed in the box and should be a clear penalty but it inst called, the defending team quickly breaks into a counter attack when would you propose the video be seen? would the ref have to stop a counter to call a pen? This is why video replays are so hard in football. You cant constantly be stopping the game to review every contact or call.

What I do believe is that in the example of PSG Barca game, each team should have 2 opportunities to question calls. Emery would have been able to use it on the Suarez penalty to have a ref review the call. Keep in mind the play must be stopped. This could be implemented on a penalty or a goal that might be offside. And also, we have to remember the ref has final authority, if the play is reviewed and he still consideres his original call correct it will remain so.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

My question, say a foul is committed in the box and should be a clear penalty, the defending team quickly breaks into a counter attack when would you propose the video be seen? would the ref have to stop a counter to call a pen? This is why video replays are so hard in football. You cant constantly be stopping the game to review every contact or call.

What I do believe is that in the example of PSG Barca game, each team should have 2 opportunities to question calls. Emery would have been able to use it on the Suarez penalty to have a ref review the call. Keep in mind the play must be stopped. This could be implemented on a penalty or a goal that might be offside. And also, we have to remember the ref has final authority, if the play is reviewed and he still consideres his original call correct it will remain so.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

One other thing we could have would be a another official, whose doesn't watch the game but analyse the replay from different angle and inform the main referee of what he see. Wouldn't take a second from the main game, really.

Golefty 7 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@ raimondo - i had tossed around the idea of each team having 1 or two appeals per game, or say 10 per season for penalties calls only.

but lets rewind a bit to the situation you described -

say a foul is committed in the box and should be a clear penalty but it inst called, the defending team quickly breaks into a counter attack when would you propose the video be seen? would the ref have to stop a counter to call a pen? This is why video replays are so hard in football. You cant constantly be stopping the game to review every contact or call.

In the situation you described a panel of experts would have be watching the all footage and then if they see a foul that the ref missed, or say a hand ball, they stop the game - i think a system like this would fail

insteand to avoid this - video replay only is used to verify a call that has been made by a ref, not to make calls that the ref missed . If video replay were ever to work i think the refs would still have to be in control.

Also the ref would be the one reviewing the footage , for calls that he is not sure about, or say if an appeal was made - the appeal system may have some merit.