Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

VIDEO: replay technology used to give red card in an U20 World Cup Match
alferroa 7 years ago
Liverpool, Indonesia 63 178

enter image description here

In a FIFA Under-20 World Cup match in South Korea, referee Abdulla Hassan Mohamed gave Argentina’s Lautaro Martinez a red card after reviewing the replay of him elbowing Chelsea’s youth player Fikayo Tomori.

The referee went to the sidelines to consult with the panel and check the replay before dismissing the Argentine defender. This shows the first huge impact of this technology in football.

As written in the Daily Mail, “VAR [Video Assistant Referee] will be used throughout the competition, with additional officials to be used to support any 'match-changing' decisions, such as goals, penalty decisions, red cards and cases of mistaken identity. The system involves both referees and VARs deciding whether an incident should be reviewed. It is then watched back and a decision is taken by a combination of both or just based on the VARs' information.

Here’s the full highlight of the match (press "Watch on YouTube"):

VAR technology like this will be used in the upcoming 2018 World Cup in Russia, what do you think of the use of this technology?

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Hardly the first use, but a positive development nonetheless in the inevitability of technology being used in this game.

alferroa 7 years ago

@SunFlash Title is kind of misleading, I'll change it.

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@Alferroa I'm in between saying "Great addition" and "ruining the game"... And I don't know why either...

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Great addition !

alferroa 7 years ago

@Madridista11 Surely we'll see if its a great addition or not next year in the World Cup!

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

I truly believe that it's a great addition! But for some reason, I have a little voice inside my head. I don't know if I'm making sense.

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I'm glad the video technology is used, but that's hardly red card for me..

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@Madridista It's actually quite normal. You have never watched the beautiful game with video tech. And you feel a bit suspicious how this will affect the game. But I am pretty sure it will make it better. I always watch the video replay in Basketball. It's kind of a need right now with the awful referees around the world.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11426

Great news, even I wasn't sure wether it was a yellow or a red when I saw the highlight, just goes to show how its hard to make some call. Another good point of the video replay technology is that it give the ref some for thinking about what happened and it also give the player some time to rest wich is great. Will also force player to be more prudent as it will be harder to get away with fault. I'm starting to think we might start seeing the game being more free of fault and of dive in the coming year, would be nice at least. :)