Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Werner subbed off after he couldn't handle the noise - First Time?
Emrecan_58 7 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

Today, during Beşiktaş - RB Leipzig game, Werner has come off after his airplugs he wanted at the first minutes didn't help him handle the atmosphere.
enter image description hereenter image description here
The German side is a very young team and playing their first away game in Champions League. Unfortunately for them, their first European away game has been against Beşiktaş. Since we are the loudest in the world, the youngsters were affected badly. Leipzig Coach told at the press conference that the crowd was something else and it prevented them from playing their game for the first 15-20 minutes.

Kampl: "I've played in many different stadiums and I've never seen such an atmosphere in my life. It was really amazing. Beşiktaş have some great fans."

Here is the video of Werner covering his ears.

This is Beşiktaş. We are unbeatable at home.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Today, during Beşiktaş - RB Leipzig game, Werner has come off after his airplugs he wanted at the first minutes didn't help him handle the atmosphere.
The German side is a very young team and playing their first away game in Champions League. Unfortunately for them, their first European game has been against Beşiktaş. Since we are the loudest in the world, the youngsters were affected badly. Leipzig Coach told at the press conference that the crowd was something else and it prevented us from playing our game for the first 15-20 minutes.

Keita: I've played in many different stadiums and I've never seen such an atmosphere in my life. It was really amazing. Beşiktaş have some great fans.-

The German side is a very young team and playing their first away game in Champions League. Unfortunately for them, their first European away game has been against Beşiktaş. Since we are the loudest in the world, the youngsters were affected badly. Leipzig Coach told at the press conference that the crowd was something else and it prevented us from playing our game for the first 15-20 minutes.

Keita: I've played in many different stadiums and I've never seen such an atmosphere in my life. It was really amazing. Beşiktaş have some great fans.-

The German side is a very young team and playing their first away game in Champions League. Unfortunately for them, their first European away game has been against Beşiktaş. Since we are the loudest in the world, the youngsters were affected badly. Leipzig Coach told at the press conference that the crowd was something else and it prevented them from playing their game for the first 15-20 minutes.

Keita: "I've played in many different stadiums and I've never seen such an atmosphere in my life. It was really amazing. Beşiktaş have some great fans."

Kampl: "I've played in many different stadiums and I've never seen such an atmosphere in my life. It was really amazing. Beşiktaş have some great fans."

Comments
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

Damn, you guys are scary. On the note of Werner though, I feel bad for the lad, he really remind me of myself when I was much younger and scared of the loudest sound. Kinda sad to see it affected him to the point he couldn't even keep playing. Hope he get better at enduring this kind of crowd.

By the way, congrats on the win Emre, I saw the goal and some part of the game and I feel it was completely deserved! Besiktas look favorite to top their group for me now. :D

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@Emobot Thank you. But Monaco got 1 point in 2 games therefore they'll give everything against us in the upcoming two fixtures. If we win 1 one them we will qualify, possibly top the group.

About Werner, the kid has talent, for sure. But he is too unexperienced. And he let his team down, upset his coach. Unproffessional. He still needs a lot of time.

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Lmao it honestly sounded like nonstop screaming in the last video :) I love the atmosphere.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I feel bad for him :(

No excuse though, he is going to earn in a week as much as the whole street earn in a month... and he can't handle some noises... Unprofessional.

I hope he can get over that drama princes attitude to make the best out of himself :(

• History

I feel bad for him :(

No excuse though, he is going to earn in a week as much as the whole street earn in a month... and he can't handle some noises... Unprofessional.

I hope he can get over that drama princes attitude :(

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@tuan Did he ask to be subbed off or its the manager who chose to replace him?

Yvan21 7 years ago Edited
0 440

^ The manager said in press conference "Timo no longer wanted to be on the pitch because of circulation and breathing problems"

• History

The manager said in press conference "Timo no longer wanted to be on the pitch because of circulation and breathing problems"

raimondo90 7 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Thats really unheard of.. I mean he could have a sensitivity to loud noises but its kind of lame for a profesional player to need to be subbed out for noise from the crowed.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Yvan Thats pretty bad. :( Didn't know sound could affect a player to this point, talk about an home advantage. :D

@Raimondo I agree, never heard of something like that, wonder if he feel guilty because of his decision now.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

So, not obviously related but Besiktas just won their third CL game yesterday. They got 9 point now and 2 out of their 3 last game are at home, I expect them to qualify for the knockout phase now without much problem now, all they need now is to aim for a top spot finish. :) Thought on that anyone?

Yvan21 7 years ago
0 440

@Emo that's very surprising to me, but one of those good surprises. They can just win their last two games at home and they'll make it.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Yvan21 Leipzig results make sense because they are a new team which lack experience in CL but Monaco have been dissapointing considering they were semi-finalist last season. :( But yeah, I completely agree its a pleasant suprise that Besiktas won all of their games as of now. Really happy for Emrecan, the rest of Besiktas fanbase and of course, for ma boy Hutchinson. ;)

• History

@Yvan21 Leipzig results make sense because they are a new team which lack experience in CL but Monaco have been dissapointing considering they were semi-finalist last year. :( But yeah, I completely agree its a pleasant suprise that Besiktas won all of their games as of now. Really happy for Emre, the rest of Besiktas fanbase and of course, for ma boy Hutchinson. ;)

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

That's pretty poor from Werner. With all due respect to soccer, there are other sports where it gets far louder - see the NFL:

For an actual example of it in action, see this video, where they caused a literal earthquake:

If the players can handle themselves fine when you literally can't hear what the person next to them is yelling, somehow I think Werner can handle a Besiktas crowd. That's inexcusable, really.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

NFL can't compare to a football crowd full of hooligans like they are present at Turkey,Greece,Serbia and so on..Not even close.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

In terms of actual volume, NFL stadiums present far higher decibel levels than European soccer stadiums, and manage to do so over the course of the entire game. Seattle's entire selling point fan-wise is that when the other team possesses the ball, the crowd become so loud that the other team is required to use hand signals because verbal communication is literally impossible.

Unlike a lot of the discussions we have here, this is something that is not debatable. Sound can be measured, and is. In terms of volume, the NFL is louder. If you're referring to the possibility of the fans rushing the pitch and maybe trying to kill you (see: numerous examples across Eurasia) then yeah, you might have to worry a bit more about a crowd such as Besiktas.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

It's not the sound itself but the type of crowd and atmosphere that is different that can make a player anxious, a pro player coming to a stadium with prior knowledge about the country and crowd can suddenly affect him at the moment and if he can't shake it off it can become a possible distraction. So in the end the blame is on the noise but actually it's the atmosphere that affected him mentally.

American crowd is much different in those terms just like the fan culture and sometimes a crowd of 10k people can seem harder to deal with compared to a crowd of 80k.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I'm beginning to think you just look for reasons to slight America...you put the country down all the time and I'm quite certain I've never seen you say anything good about them.

Sometimes, sure a crowd of 10k can make a big difference (see: away crowds). But atmosphere is generally measured in noise. And even when it isn't, I find it a very poor argument that "fan culture" makes up a difference of 70 000 screaming human beings.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

It's how it is and it's not really targeted towards the US but just reflecting the truth, the fan cultures are very different.
If I had to play in front of some casual guys with beers in their hands that scream very loud it wouldn't bother me but if I had to play in front of some real hooligans then I have something in the back of my head because I know that it's those people that take the game I play really serious and beyond measures.

Like if a child can make a lot of noise it doesn't really affect anyone but when a grown up makes noise he can get the attention of everyone out of nowhere, it's kind of like that with the crowd in US that prefers an entertainment and good time while in some parts of the world like Turkey every game is serious and a club is a big part of a life of a fan so when it comes to being a fan and making atmosphere, it all matters and not just the noise, only noise won't make any pro stop playing it's the background of the noise and the heavy feeling that comes with it.

I'm a bit lazy to further explain how things work but there are videos that compare the football,basketball games and so on and the reactions from the people that are from the US are clear as day, they don't get anything similar in their top level of sports.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I think it's important to add that I would prefer for everyone to have what US has because that kind of sports fits for young and old and families can come and enjoy with no sense of worry, at the same time as fans cheer it's obvious that the people are less under stress and there are no such big divisions from fans.

In those other countries fans want to supress other fans because they think they are better and there are examples where fans want others to just sing and taking pictures can lead to other fans mocking and calling others as selfie-fans and so on...

Sports in general are moving away from the type of fans that are in Turkey and more towards the scenery that is present in the US, which I think it's a good thing.
In Europe I experienced first hand those kind of fans/games and once you know that you don't need to have flair smoke and flags coveing your whole experience you won't care less about those things.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash But... doesn't helmet protect the player ears more in NFL than in association football? I mean, considering they know how loud the sound get, you would expect them to find counter-measure for the player. Just to make it clear, I don't know a thing about NFL so if I say something ridiculous, please correct and forgive me. :)

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

If you mean the stadium are safe than yeah...people don't die watching sports in the USA. Unless you're drunk and fall off a stand trying to catch a foul ball or something (it's happened once or twice) - but I have a tough time bringing to mind any major fan violence incident that has occurred in the last 50-odd years, although that doesn't mean it hasn't taken place I suppose.

However I find the point you present that American's don't have emotion in their fan culture simply insulting. I could link videos of racially charged boxing matches (e.g. Joe Louis), games with underlying political tension (Miracle on Ice), or cultural rejuvenation (Saints vs Falcons in the Superdome after New Orleans was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina). All of those were highly emotional affairs and the ones I remember seeing live will stay with me until the day I die, and the ones that I did not give me chills nevertheless.

We don't really have the cult-style fans you see in Africa and the Middle East, or to an extent South America. Europe, particularly the more well-regarded leagues seem to have moved away from that, as you noted. To be honest, it may just be the variety of sports we have here. I used to live in New York, and if the Giants (NFL) were having a bad season, well at least the Yankees were good. It creates a different margin when you aren't living and dying by a single team.

However, I can see why you come to this conclusion, and I don't blame you for thinking it. Our television commentators are very neutral, if you want European-esque reactions, the radio stations do an excellent job with that. Also, in general North Americans do not express emotion the way the rest of the world does, we're naturally a more "cold on the outside" people, something that has been studied, that are a few excellent communications articles on North American emotion. So yeah, we do it differently. But there's certainly an atmosphere, and it's one of passion, not of cult-like devotion. Not saying one is better than the other (although I certainly prefer the former), but nevertheless the atmosphere exists.