Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

What type of team's tactical choice do you like?
tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Hi guys,

Every year we come to a debate which type of football is dull and which is exciting, on regular team style, or in certain games. We have seen all kind of supports, some from the fans, the attractiveness, some from rivalry and some are pure hatred.

I personally dislike those trash talk, or blind argument simply due to rivalry or hatred. They always come at the heat of the season... Let's have some opinion up front, shall we?

Im not going to pretend to be a tactical expert with terms and sh!t, so I will put it in English so we can all understand (also ignore the super obvious choices: attractive, clean, fast, technical)

• Possessive Attacking football often 1 sided game (Barca, Real, Bayern, Roma)
  • Possessive football (like Barca, and MU under LVG)
  • Fast pace attack vulnerable in the back, this is NOT counter attack (Arsenal, Monaco, Real)
  • High technical, beautiful touches, sometimes very inefficient (Arsenal, Barca, BVB, Roma)

• Holding the mid, slow, solid (Juve, Spur, Liv, Milan, Udinese, most German teams)
  • Random, hit when have the ball and defend when not (most average teams, MU, Arsenal, Liverpool in the last 6 years, Inter Milan)

• All out defend (aka. bus parking) get lots of points from 1 0 games (most weaker team, or Chelsea under Mou)
  • Defend and fast pace counter (Juve, Chelsea, Real) - aka. the EASY choice

• Super rough or tactical, focus on weaken opponent instead of strenthen your own (Atletico, Chelsea, STOKE CITY)
  • Just play football any pray for luck (Ajax, Arsenal...)
  • History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Hi guys,

Every year we come to a debate which type of football is dull and which is exciting, on regular team style, or in certain games. We have seen all kind of support, some from the fans, the attractiveness, some from rivalry and some are pure hatred.

I personally dislike those trash talk, or blind argument simply due to rivalry or hatred. They always come at the heat of the season... Let's have some opinion up front, shall we?

Im not going to pretend to be a tactical expert with terms and sh!t, so I will put it in English so we can all understand (also ignore the super obvious choices: attractive, clean, fast, technical)

• Possessive Attacking football often 1 sided game (Barca, Real, Bayern)
  • Fast pace attack (Arsenal, Monaco, Real)
  • High technical, beautiful touches, sometimes inefficient

• Holding the mid, slow, solid (Juve, Spur, Liv)
  • Random, hit when have the ball and defend when not (most average teams, MU, Arsenal, Liverpool in the last 6 years)

• All out defend, get lots of points from 1 0 games (most weaker team, or Chelsea under Mou)

• Super rough or tactical, focus on weaken opponent instead of strenthen your own (Atletico, Chelsea)

Hi guys,

Every year we come to a debate which type of football is dull and which is exciting, on regular team style, or in certain games. We have seen all kind of support, some from the fans, the attractiveness, some from rivalry and some are pure hatred.

• Random, hit when have the ball and defend when not (most average teams, MU, Arsenal, Liverpool in the last 6 years)

• All out defend, get lots of points from 1 0 games (most weaker team, or Chelsea under Mou)

• Super rough or tactical, focus on weaken opponent instead of strenthen your own (Atletico, Chelsea)

Hi guys,

Every year we come to a debate which type of football is dull and which is exciting, on regular team style, or in certain games. We have seen all kind of supports, some from the fans, the attractiveness, some from rivalry and some are pure hatred.

Hi guys,

• All out defend (aka. bus parking) get lots of points from 1 0 games (most weaker team, or Chelsea under Mou)

Hi guys,

• Fast pace attack vulnerable in the back (Arsenal, Monaco, Real)
  • High technical, beautiful touches, sometimes very inefficient (Arsenal, Barca, BVB, Roma)

• Holding the mid, slow, solid (Juve, Spur, Liv, Milan, Udinese)
  • Random, hit when have the ball and defend when not (most average teams, MU, Arsenal, Liverpool in the last 6 years, Inter Milan)

• Super rough or tactical, focus on weaken opponent instead of strenthen your own (Atletico, Chelsea, STOKE CITY)

Hi guys,

• Fast pace attack vulnerable in the back, this is NOT counter attack (Arsenal, Monaco, Real)

• Holding the mid, slow, solid (Juve, Spur, Liv, Milan, Udinese)

Comments
tuan_jinn 7 years ago

I like attacking football, I just do.

I appreciate great defend and fast pace counter, but I think it's an easy to choose tactic, especially if you have high pace wingers and good poacher. Im NOT saying it's easy to do, just easy to choose because it's safer.

I hate rough a$s team or just focus on weakening others.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

I like fast pacing attack the most. I like seeing a lot of player throwing themselve on the attack and getting the ball foward, even if it mean being in danger if one of the player make a mistake. Attacking possession is my second favorite and after, its counter-attacking football even if its a safe way of playing. Any example of higly technical team? By the way, good thread. :)

• History

I like fast pacing attack the most. I like seeing a lot of player throwing themselve on the attack and getting the ball foward, even if it mean being in danger if one of the player make a mistake. Attacking possession is my second favorite and after, its counter-attacking football even if its a safe way of playing. Any example of higly technical team?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I feel bad for making a comment that sounds like a mother talking about how she loves all her children equally.

But I really enjoy all of it. The beauty I find in this sport is in the subtle (and unsubtle) tactics that teams use to attempt to overcome their opponents strategy. More of the beauty I find comes from the team as a collective, as opposed to just the individuals. The only style I really do not enjoy is when a team cedes the game from the off (e.g. 90 min park the bus), or a general hackathon, but even that can be good with a competent ref.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Sunflash Imagining Sun as a mom saying she love all her child the same is just extremely funny and satisfying for some reason. Maybe because I'm a jerk deep down and I know this sound like the polar opposite of something Sun would do. XD But jokin aside, I must say mate that I really wanted to have your opinion on this thread. And in a way, your answer suprise me but fit you completely at the same time. Wich style do you think is the most effective with the right player though, just to know. :)

• History

@Sunflash Imagining Sun as a mom saying she love all her child the same is just extremely funny and satisfying for some reason. Maybe because I'm a jerk deep down. But otherwise mate, I really wanted to have your opinion on this thread. And in a way, your answer suprise me but fit you completely at the same time. Wich style do you think is the most effective with the right player though, just to know. :)

@Sunflash Imagining Sun as a mom saying she love all her child the same is just extremely funny and satisfying for some reason. Maybe because I'm a jerk deep down. But jokin aside, I must say mate that I really wanted to have your opinion on this thread. And in a way, your answer suprise me but fit you completely at the same time. Wich style do you think is the most effective with the right player though, just to know. :)

DarthFooty 7 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

I picked Possessive Attacking. While I like fast paced and controlling, I prefer to see a style that pushes the game, yet still tries to maintain possession. It is harder for your opponent to score if they don't have the ball much, but at the same time, you still need to score yourself to win. Possession just for the sake of keeping it away from the other team might look cool for a bit, but it does get stale.

I like a style with smart, positive possession. Ones that takes chances in attack, then quickly try to regain control and work the ball back up for another effort.

We all have seen most of the big teams do it. Heck on some level, you have to play this way to really be a top team. Barca gets carried away in possession, but when they do look to advance, they are so fun to watch.

I am hoping to see more balance with Man Utd, but it will be harder with how Jose coaches.

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Every style is great depending on the situation and factors involved .

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

High technical, beautiful touches, sometimes inefficient - thereee should have been Arsenal m8! :D

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Old Arsenal with Overmars, Bergkamp, Vieira etc. is my favorite. Even tho I was very young back then (I'm talking about Arsenal in the '90s, not the 00's - even tho 00's is better, I simply enjoyed Overmars and Bergkamp link back then), I used to rewatch all these matches couple of years ago. I think it was one of closest sides to perfection considering beauty of football. No more 'boring boring Arsenal'. Jardim's Monaco is also very good despite I've actively seen only one season of them. United in 2007 also.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Croatian

Old Arsenal with Overmars, Bergkamp, Vieira etc

That's why I support Arsenal, haha. Along with Henry. Good times.

Thread related, it has to be a mix, which is why I don't vote for one.

@Emo: fast pacing is really nice to watch, indeed, but there are barely any team can keep up with this tactic all game, and their defend is often at risk (Monaco for example).

EPL team tends to think they play this way, but they often end up like a headless rushing chicken. Sad though :(

@SunFlash: ahahhahhaa, the sentimental SunFlash is acting. :D even a mother has a favorite child, Im not talking about spreading the love. They will be given equally, but there should be a fav. Pick one mate.

DarthFooty: same with me! I like that too ESPECIALLY when playing football myself. Normally with attack, it's often fast enough (otherwise it would be bored).
That means they have to organize ATTACK instead of push it to the fast pace players... this is where great team work shows more its spark!!!

When both team can apply this style, every 10 minutes they will switch side of domination. I have seen that with El Clasico, Bayern vs old MU, etc... great to see!!!!

• History

@Emo: fast pacing is really nice to watch, indeed, but there are barely any team can keep up with this tactic all game, and their defend is often at risk (Monaco for example).

EPL team tends to think they play this way, but they often end up like a headless rushing chicken. Sad though :(

@SunFlash: ahahhahhaa, the sentimental SunFlash is acting. :D even a mother has a favorite child, Im not talking about spreading the love. They will be given equally, but there should be a fav. Pick one mate.

DarthFooty: same with me! I like that too ESPECIALLY when playing football myself. Normally with attack, it's often fast enough (otherwise it would be bored). When both team can apply this style, every 10 minutes they will switch side of domination. I have seen that with El Clasico, Bayern vs old MU, etc... great to see!!!!

@Marcus & @Amir: of course mate, but if we must choose 1 ... Everyteam has their philosophy as a core and mixes tactic at time. So please choose 1 as you have to during the game.

@quikzy: CHANGED HAHAHA. I agree

@Croatia: indeed, the old Dutchies were insane. Arsenal back then was THE team to beat... So was Manchester United :(. I miss the old days

• History

@Marcus & @Amir: of course mate, but if we must choose 1 ... Everyteam has their philosophy as a core and mixes tactic at time. So please choose 1 as you have to during the game.

@quikzy: CHANGED HAHAHA. I agree

@Croatia: indeed, the old Dutchies were insane. Arsenal back then was THE team to beat... So was Manchester United :(. I miss the old days

danteskyhigh 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 0 24

I'd tossed Klopp's Liverpool & BVB, or maybe Sampaoli's Seville under fast-paced attack as well (the technical bs is gegenpressing). When it's a bright day, it grinds everything in its way; when it's not i.e. opponent is calm and able to move the ball quickly to expose back line, the whole system is busted. Like a Sherman tank, I guess.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

A better way of saying what I said would be that I find beauty in a strategy when it works. It's like the little brainchild of a manager. You can sit there and say, "wow, that was impressive, beautiful even." That feeling is not limited to a single strategy, based on what I have seen and felt while watching this sport.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I like watching the most, holding the mid and building up the game slowly, that's how the derbies and big games are the best, when played that way. You know something is going to happen in 1 magic move and the suspension is great.

Building up slowly from the mid to the wings and back requires good vision and techique but it can develop super fast into a clear chance.

This is why I don't agree with the clubs that are mentioned at the holding the mid ( Juve, Spur, Liv, Milan, Udinese ) in the list there should be Manchester United, Chelsea, Porto, Inter Milan and even older teams of Bayern because German football is pure in that sense!

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Oh i forgot to say my favorite is counter attacking . Here is a quote from Bruce Lee to explain why :

The counterattack calls for the greatest skill, the most perfect planning and the most delicate execution of all fighting techniques. It is the greatest art in fighting, the art of the champion.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago

@Gozalo: fair enough, I do like that too, it's close to possessive football.

What I meant with the holding mid is: a bit slower, more of a solid base with strong mid but not really fast and strong striker (less prolific striker). Indeed, most German teams can be very good at that. They are often hard to break, a bit less entertaining and just solidly crust teams on their way.

The team selection is just an example of the most recent time.

@Marcus: yep. I see a lot of resemble in fighting and counter attacking in football too. It's personal preference, it said it's an easier choice since most weaker team would go for it against bigger ones. But to execute it perfectly, very few team can do that. I think Real, Chelsea and Juve in the last few years are best at that.

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

I don't know if it's a style of play, but I absolutely love it when I watch Chelsea players, get hyped, play with passion, and so much energy. That still includes holding and clearing, but there's nothing more satisfying to me than seeing my team go into challenges and 50/50 balls with 100% commitment and intent.

I get nervy when I watch Chelsea sit back and defend a one goal lead with ten minutes to go, but in the games I play for my club, I personally find dropping back and defending for your life really fun.

nigelpayne 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 15 484

I like to see a team attack but retain the ball when an attack breaks down and attack again...would like to see more of this from united tbh...not sure if we'll get that under mourinho tho...