NO MORE VOTING POLL IS CLOSED

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Who will move on the the next round of champions league
enter image description here

Comments
Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Winning without Falcao, scoring 3 goals. Pep without Xavi and a winning squad can't hide his weaknesses.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

to be fair, monaco play better attacking-wise without falcao. germain has some super pace.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Home and away they scored 3 goals, I knew they let some cheap goals in the first leg game though.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

enter image description here

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

yea the goals they let in came back to bite them in the a**. i thought City were going to score more, but monaco took control of the game early on.

tiki_taka 7 years ago

Monacp, serial killing English teams, Arsenal last year, Spurs and City this season...

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Despite City terrible performance, Aguero could have easily scored 3 goals very easily to seal the deal. But I would say congrats Monaco, they play some fantastic football this season

tiki_taka 7 years ago

Yeah but in first leg, Monaco could kill the game at 1-2, they missed a pk and so any chances... best team, went through, there is no single doubt about it.

Golefty 7 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@tiki no doubt? with an aggregate score of 6-6 I would say that both teams deserved to go through, i also wouldnt say 6-6 aggregate is serial killing

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

City did seriously throw that game though. They actually missed 3 separate sitters and went to shit on set pieces. Like for real?

tiki_taka 7 years ago

Yeah but i felt over 2 legs Monaco showed more strenght, they dominated most of the 180 min, City momentums were 10 last minutes in the first leg, and fisrt 20 min of second half in the second leg, score aside.
But City pushing for a late goal would made them deserved winners tho, but i felt Monaco showed more... Their main Cb Glik was suspended, Falcao was injured and Bakayoko the 3 rd goal scorer was doubtful due to soft injury, they fielded youngsters and outplayed City, the 2-0 at 28 minutes was more than deserved City did 0 shot.

Anyway both teams deserved to qualify, one more than the other imo, there is no draw in knock out stages, at 71min 3-1, City had to push for a goal and Monaco had to defend, if it was the opposite i believe Monaco would still go through.

Serial is for the consecutive victories, not for score sheets, i just pointed how Monaco's style is adapted English Football. They did the minimum vs Arsenal by protecting their first leg lead, they took 6 pts from Spurs in groupstage and now eliminated Man City.

Probably miss use of the word, french langage is full of expressions, translating them may look offensive. I wanted to say simply they progressed consecutively against 3 of the big four and for a team of the size of Monaco, with freshly new owner bringing instant results, and confirming year after year after selling players. Thats an amazing serie.

raimondo90 7 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Tiki the last bit is not really true. Monaco was bought by current Russian billionaire in 2011. In 2013 the plan was to spend a lot of money on stars and try to compete that way They spent over 130mil pounds. They quickly realised that it was a plan doomed to fail and they were going to get hit heavily by financial fair play they started offloading players. Carrasco, James, Martial are a few examples. They then started focusing on scouting and youth development. Id say this squad started being built around 2015. This also includes a lot of shady buissenss by the owner such as the Fabihno transfer. He was loaned from Rio to Monaco and then bought but it turns out the Monaco owner owned 45% of Fabinho through a third party company which are illegal in most european football leagues. Id say this is their first successful season as of now. In the league that seems to be mainly due to PSG being average.

tiki_taka 7 years ago

@Raimondo I partially agree with you but not on the reason they changed their plan A, to a geniune plan B even if they are surprising themselves by the success of Plan B inexpected for most.

The Ruissian owner divorced and his wife took half of his fortune ( 5 billion euros ), he wanted a Monaco passeport to escape taxes, Monaco is a heaven tax. The deal was to make Monaco as good as PSG and the Russian will be a Citizen of Monaco, he never received this passeport and felt fooled. so he sold James to Madrid and other players and got rid of Falcao while he was costing 14 mil per year, and they kept Moutinho....

The first plan was to invest massively on big names and build a world class squad, they ended up making benefits on sales and prooting youngsters with keeping results like Atletico, or Dortmund.

All this to say it was a passeport problem who made them change their plan, it took less than a year the reason i do not speak about it.

bluezz 7 years ago
Chelsea 14 724

knew it monaco would win. congrats to them.

saatvik10 7 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

Monaco were the better team over the two legs. They were brilliant for the most part of 1st half in the first leg and then again in the 2nd leg. City couldn't get their act together when Monaco pressed them, and when they did create some chances they missed them.

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

Lol. Just like last year, Liverpool defeated Villarreal and people said "Where are the La Liga fans now?!" but when EPL teams get their a$$ handed to them by non EPL teams on a REGULAR BASIS they all say European competitions are not great indicators of who's best... Whatever man.

Also, today my opinion became a FACT: Pep is an overrated fraud who can't do squat without an overpowered team.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I also thought Monaco outplayed City over the 180 minutes, but not by much. It was mostly even. A few major mistakes were made by both teams on either end, but overall an entertaining tie to watch. I actually thought the 3-1 was more entertaining than the 5-3. The 3-1 was more tactical and more calculated than the 5-3 barrage of counter-attacks.

raimondo90 7 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

@madridista, hardly. Its his first year at city and let's be honest, his squad is good at best. It's not a world class team. His tactics haven't been implemented to the fullest yet. I say next season we can really judge him.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Dyn: just out of curiousity... what tactical calculation did Man City had in the 3 - 1 game? Having less score doesn't mean more tactical, right?

What I saw was just a scare-being-dominated Man City. Then they got down 2 goals, then they had to push back and then Monaco momentarily lost their composer, just cleared the ball and lost the mid battle, until a freekick...

it's 2nd round so there are a lot of calculation for trying to get through, without play their true potential football (defend deep, only rely on counter etc.,,). It's so obvious like if you go out in the rain you bring an umbrella. So How does that make it more interesting in any category?

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

We can judge Pep right away, he is not as good as people think. It was easy in Barcelona as he took a winning squad with prime time Xavi,Iniesta.