Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

World Cup 2018 Talks
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and results between team in the World Cup.

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal wasn't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Round of 16:
enter image description here

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and resutls between team in the World Cup. Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game. Also, it seem to me like Saudi are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and results between team in the World Cup.

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first 2 goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first 2 goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal wasn't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Qualified for Knockout Round:

• Russia
  • Uruguay
  • France
  • Croatia

Eliminated before Knockout Round:

• Egypt
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Morocco
  • Peru
Comments
Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Despite not being a great team individual or collectively, this 5-0 at home will give Russia a huge boost to face Egypt and Uruguay. If they manage to tie vs Uruguay I can see them finishing 1st in their group.
Golovin definitely stole the show. Some clubs like Arsenal an Juventus seemingly having interest in him weeks before the WC and now he gives at his 22 years of age a great performance to show the world his potential.

Cherysev had the best night of his life. What a couple of goals he scored, He became Neymar going down that left wing today.

Im so exited for what's about to come in this tournament.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Tuanis Completely agree with you. Golovin and Cherysev were pretty awesome in that game, will be interesting to see if team move for the former in the summer. And for sure, the rest of the tournament is just as exciting. I'll try hard to be on the chat tomorrow for the Spain vs Portugal game. Talking about Spain vs Portugal, here a line by Fernando Santos about Fernando Hierro, the spain manager, that was so good, I had to share:

Fernando (Hierro) is a friend, someone I appreciate, I wish him a good World Cup, but not tomorrow.

Santos is obviously taking the game very seriously, it going to be good. :D

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

So, I overslept and missed the Uruguay vs Egypt game, was suprised at first when I looked at the highlight not to see Salah playing especially after hearing he would be fine to play. But still, I think Egypt defended pretty well in that game and were unlucky to concede at the last minute the way they did, dissapointing for them. :( I also think Suarez flopped a bit in that game, he had a bunch of good occassion and completely failed to make the most out of them. However, Egypt keeper was really good as well to me. Thought guys?

Hekasi 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 7 764

Why are the stadiums so empty? Egypt vs Uruguay looked like a friendly game.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Hekasi Less people went to watch the world cup this year. Blame it on the fact there were less hype and that it kinda felt like Russia didn't actually wanted stranger to come and watch. Will propably be most people for game involving European nation and the Russian National team.

As for the last match, Iran vs Morocco, what a suprise it ended up being. Wasn't expecting Iran to win that game and they certainly got a bit fortunate with that own goal in the last minute. Gotta say though that both team were playing very dirty in the end and I seriously hope they fix that because its not a joy to watch a game involving the two as of now.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

So, I didn't watch yersterday's game but I'm still pretty shocked by the results... both in good and in bad way's.

France against Australia was a bit dissapointing for France because imo, they should have dominated more than that, I still seemed like a interesting game however, I can't help feeling France will need to do better than that to suceed outside the group phase.

Argentina vs Iceland was an utter dissapointement for Argentina. They dominated the game strongly but couldn't claim victory. Heard both Messi and Di Maria flopped and that Iceland played very defensively after coming back from taking a goal. To be completely fair, I don't blame them, when fighting such a dominating giant, you have to play defensively to have a chance. Great results for Iceland that will put a lot of pression on Argentina.

Peru vs Denmark was satisfying for me as someone who was supporting Denmark in that game. However, I have to concede it seem like Peru were a bit more in control of the game. They will be dissapointed by the results as it will absolutely take them something special to qualify now as they'll need to play against France.

Croatia vs Nigeria was kind of suprising, not by it results but at how it happened. Didn't thought Croatia would won through a own goal and a penality. It also seem like it was close game despite the 2 goal victory, statwise at least.

Wouldn't mind getting more feedback from people who watched the games anyway.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

Yeeesh! Didn't expected the former world cup winner to lose against Mexico in their first game of the tournament, I not only didn't saw it coming at all but now, I seriously think Mexico got a solid shot at qualifying. Thought on the matter guys?

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

After Argentina and Germany, now its Brazil who didn't win their opening game against an opponent they werer expected to beat. Man, this world cup is crazy. All the unexpected outcome, you feel like it could go any way. :D

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

I officially don't feel so bad after drawing to Iceland lol.

I've been struggling to predict results seeing as clear favorites have struggled. I'm glad this WC is a little different but it's just the first game for each nation sometimes it takes a bit for teams to wake up and start playing like they normally do.

VAR has been okay so far I just think that the official on the booth has too much control over which plays get ignored or which plays are reviewed. I think players should be demanding for reviews.

Lodatz 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

VAR has been okay so far I just think that the official on the booth has too much control over which plays get ignored or which plays are reviewed. I think players should be demanding for reviews.

My only worry is that if this is the case, players will start demanding reviews all the time, and the game will become unrecognizable.

Momentum is a huge part of football, and when we stop and start the game so much, teams who have rightfully gained control of a game, or who are pressuring the other side lose their momentum, while teams who are being put to the sword get a chance to regroup, have a chat and possibly even time-waste to prevent the other team from getting anything out of their domination.

Hopefully my fears are too extreme, but I can just see important games devolving into petty stoppages and increased arguments between players.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

@Lodatz Give teams a set number of review (1 or 2) and it would solve most of the problem in my mind.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Lodatz Give teams a set number of review and it would solve most of the problem in my thought.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Not a very good week for me (fantasy league-wise), but I think it's been a very entertaining WC campaign so far. Very surprised to see the Argentina-Iceland draw, and now the Germany loss (wow). I'm gonna be making changes soon!

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@iHEART Yeah, I don't think it was so great for me either in term of fantasy league. :(

raimondo90 6 years ago

@lodatz it was a typo, I meant shouldn't. I think the current format works it just need a few tweaks especially in regards to the ref decideing to use it.

raimondo90 6 years ago

And my comment comes strictly from watching the Brazil match and a few players were complaining gesturing to use the replay. In my opinion that wasn't a foul on Miranda (a CB shouldn't be so easily moved in the box and the keeper should have punched it out instead of holding his line)

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

And my comment comes strictly from watching the Brazil match and a few players were complaining gesturing to use the replay. In my opinion that wasn't a foul on Miranda (a CB shouldn't be so easily moved in the box and the keeper should have punched it out instead of holding his line)

just adding to that (I agree with you on the VAR), and I don't want to keep mentioning this but I have to, the Argentina - Iceland match was a good example of where VAR is taken too lightly. There were a couple of offences inside the Iceland box that were clear penalties, but the ref ignored them (probably due to time). I hope, later on the WC stages, we'll be able to see more VAR reviews.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

It also depend on the ref sadly. From what I seen, the ones looking at the highlight can tell the main ref to look back at an action but I suppose he can refuse. Anyway, VAR use is really interesting in this world cup and while its true it haven't alway been used when it should have. Its definetly didn't seem to get a lot of wrong call when used. I'm really glad. :D

Lodatz 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@rai: understood, and I agree.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

Damn, that Japan win, didn't saw it coming. Group H is gonna be very interesting. Also, I finally got around to see some more highlight. England were really unlucky not to have scored more against Tunisia but they got the job done. Also, really impressed to see Belgium have the second best win of the first turn behind Russia. I know Panama isn't a strong side but they certainly look more convincing with a 3-0 win than a 1-0 or 2-1 one.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Lost 200 euros already, lol. It’s getting literally unpredictable and it’s really annoying... annoying me at least :)