Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

World Cup 2018 Talks
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and results between team in the World Cup.

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal wasn't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Round of 16:
enter image description here

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and resutls between team in the World Cup. Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game. Also, it seem to me like Saudi are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and results between team in the World Cup.

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first 2 goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first 2 goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal wasn't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Qualified for Knockout Round:

• Russia
  • Uruguay
  • France
  • Croatia

Eliminated before Knockout Round:

• Egypt
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Morocco
  • Peru
Comments
liomessi10 6 years ago Edited
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Has anyone noticed that out of 26 goals scored in this World Cup, 9 were penalties and own goals. That's almost a third

• History

Has anyone noticed that out of 26 goals scored in this World Cup, 9 were penalties and own goals.

Madridista11 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@Lodatz

Momentum is a huge part of football, and when we stop and start the game so much, teams who have rightfully gained control of a game, or who are pressuring the other side lose their momentum, while teams who are being put to the sword get a chance to regroup, have a chat and possibly even time-waste to prevent the other team from getting anything out of their domination.

Lol, basically like having a time-out in the NBA. I think the organizations have to establish conditions in which VAR can be used, because like @Rai said I've seen enough players gesturing to refs to use VAR. I'd keep the use limited to penalties, free kicks near the box, and occasionally corner kick decisions if necessary (especially near the end of a match).

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Madridista It seem to have been used mostly to verify penality and goal from now on and personally, I like it this way. Maybe they should use on FK from time to time as well, since there is a clear occassion to score if its close enough to the goal.

Madridista11 6 years ago

No i get that it has been used well thus far, I'm asking for them to make rules if they haven't set any. We already have players protesting way too damn much, now they have added the screen gesture thingy to their protests lol!

538 11426

@Madridista Yeah, I get what you mean, then again, if footballer didn't protest at ref decision all the time, it wouldn't be football, right? XD But joking aside, I'm not convinced having rule would completely stop player from making the gesture thingy either. ;P

• History

@Madridista Yeah, I get what you mean, then again, if footballer didn't protest at ref decision all the time, it wouldn't be football, right? XD But joking aside, I'm not convinced having rule would completely stop playing from making the gesture thingy either. ;P

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Madridista11

they have added the screen gesture thingy to their protests lol!

Isco and Kawashima both protested even though there was goal line technology lol

Madridista11 6 years ago

I'm not convinced having rule would completely stop playing from making the gesture thingy either. ;P

enter image description here

Madridista11 6 years ago

@Amir

Bruh I was like "sit yo ass down" when I saw Isco cryin

538 11426

@Madridista To be fair, I was kind of sad when I saw it wasn't a goal, such a beautifull shot. But yeah, it was obviously a waste of time to argue with the ref about it. At least, they didn't cancel Costa goal, that was great. :D

• History

@Madridista To be fair, I was kind of sad when I saw it wasn't a goal, such a beautifull shot. But yeah, it was obviously a waste of time. At least, they didn't cancel Costa goal, that was great. :D

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

For anyone interested in how the VAR is supposed to be used

This first round was nuts, so many upsets, OG, penalties, and last minute goals. The groups are gonna get crazy during this second matchday. I'm done predicting lol, it's been ridiculously hard.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Madridista11

Lol, good to also see you back here. Sticking around for World Cup?

rainondo90

I haven’t done so badly predicting results, scores however is another story lol. My biggest upsets were Brazil drawing and Colombia losing. I wasn’t super super surprised about both Germany and Argentina honestly. Mexico and Iceland are really good.

Madridista11 6 years ago

@Amir

Thanks, and yea you'll see more of me this summer!

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Russia definitely getting of the groupstage after that performance. My hopes back then are being answered when they're starting to perform big so far in their home turf, Putin must be buzzing. I need to have Cheryshev in my team from now on

Lodatz 6 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@iHEARTfootball:

It's a harsh reality though that whether Russia come first or second, they will still be facing either Spain or Portugal.

Honestly, looking at the bracket, I'm seeing a pretty strong case for the semis being Spain, Portugal, Germany and Brazil.

Argentina could make it, but they'd have to beat either Spain or Portugal to do so. France the same, and there's always an outside chance that England or Belgium could get an upset against the Germans or Brazil, but it's hard not to see the heavyweights muscling through.

We shall see! I still think Spain are going to win, though it's going to be an epic struggle.

• History

It's a harsh reality though that whether they come first or second, they will still be facing either Spain or Portugal.

Honestly, looking at the bracket, I'm seeing a pretty strong case for the semis being Spain, Portugal, Germany and Brazil.

Argentina could make it, but they'd have to beat either Spain or Portugal to do so. France the same, and there's always an outside chance that England or Belgium could get an upset against the Germans or Brazil, but it's hard not to see the heavyweights muscling through.

We shall see! I still think Spain are going to win, though it's going to be an epic struggle.

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

After the second matches we will see how groups start to shape up and then speculate which teams progress. I can't really judge which teams will show up, especially on thought games, while having only played a single match (except Russia and Egypt).
As it currently stands, every single team has shown flaws which can be exploited. For example: Argentina has struggled consistently against teams that defend deep and hit on the counter. If Messi is locked down and having a bad day there's literally no one who steps up to be creative make decisive runs or even open up. It's sad watching this team play but I'm.hoping Sampaoli realizes that change is needed. Especially including Pavón and Lo Celso.
Croatia will be a giant pain because they are very solid. Second place might be a blessing depending who tops the groups. We could avoid Spain and Germany but get paired up against Portugal and France.

Lodatz 6 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@rai: unless I am reading the bracket wrong, I don't think Argentina could meet Germany any earlier than the semis, which makes it just a little better for you guys. For me the real tightrope is going to be what happens in Spain and Portugal's group. Whatever happens, if Messi is going to make it, he's probably going to have to go through one of them.

• History

@rai: unless I am reading the bracket wrong, I don't think Argentina could meet Germany any earlier than the semis, which makes it just a little better for you guys. For me the real tightrope is going to be what happens in Spain and Portugal's group.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

The Portugal v Morocco match was an absolute joke. The ref was blind to call off that clear penalty foul by Fonte, and Portugal once against bottles it after an exciting start by Ronaldo on the 4th minute. It's frustrating to see Morocco playing so passionately, only to be denied with an unjusticely result. It's times like these that make you want to flip your table and break some glasses as a football fan.

Really feel for the Moroccans.

MichealClark 6 years ago
Arsenal, New Zealand 7 28

@liomessi10 I didn't notice this fact. But after reading your comment I realized how naive I am. :P

538 11426

So, Russia and Uruguay are officially qualified. Can't say I'm impressed about Uruguay though. They are in the round of the 16 but only trough 1-0 win. Then again, if its enough, its enough. Russia really impressed me, it make me wonder if they will play for the draw against Uruguay or try to go for the win (top of the group in both case).

@lio Yeah, its crazy, most of the goal come from penality, own goal, freekick or corner situation. It seem like its becoming increasingly hard to score in the normal part of the games, then again, you can blame it on smaller team parking the bus and playing deep in their own half. That make me a bit sad though. :(

• History

So, Russia and Uruguay are officially qualified. Can't say I'm impressed about Uruguay though. They are in the round of the 16 but only trough 1-0 win. Then again, if its enough, its enough. Russia really impressed me, it make me wonder if they will play for the draw against Uruguay or try to go for the win (top of the group in both case).

@lio Yeah, its crazy, most of the goal come from penality, own goal, freekick or corner situation. It seem like its becoming increasingly hard to score in the usual part of the games. That make me a bit sad. :(

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

Lol no one expects from russia but look at them now chasing that euro 2008 arshavin team legacy.