Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

World Cup 2018 Talks
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and results between team in the World Cup.

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal wasn't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Round of 16:
enter image description here

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and resutls between team in the World Cup. Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game. Also, it seem to me like Saudi are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

So, I thought I would make a thread were we will discuss ongoing event and results between team in the World Cup.

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first 2 goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first 2 goal weren't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Let's start with what happened last, Russia won 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opener. I personally thought Russia didn't seemed so good at first, their first goal wasn't very impressive but at the end of the day, I feel they did a really good job. Golovin was motm in that first game imo. Also, it seem to me like Saudi Arabia are nearly officialy out of the World Cup. What about you guys, what do you think of the resutls and what it mean?

Qualified for Knockout Round:

• Russia
  • Uruguay
  • France
  • Croatia

Eliminated before Knockout Round:

• Egypt
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Morocco
  • Peru
Comments
Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

No they shouldn’t! They should draw save their faces and win the group on goal difference.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Germany/Brazil isn’t a tougher draw from Mexico/Switzerland from what i’ve Seen. Brazil/Germany look more prestigious to play, therefore the concentration and the motivation would be at their maximum, but both nations are more individuals rather than collectives.... Brazil has a big problem, right flank with Willian/Danilo combination very poor in first game, the use of Fagner instead of Danilo didn’t make it any better... a possible solution for me to play Marquinhos RB and Douglas Costa who won points in last game.
Main strength is also a weakness, Left flank with Marcelo-Coutinho-Neymar, dream flank on paper but very unbalanced in reality defensively. Marcelo doesn’t have enough control on his flank nor Coutinho due to Neymar presence, the star takes the ball and doesn’t give it back. Until now, he delivered in only 2 nd game second half but reduced Marcelo-Coutinho effect whole compain. My unpopular opinion is that Brazil were more balanced without Neymar with Coutinho mastering left flank combining with Marcelo, plus extra CDM in Fernandinho or Casemiro alongside Paulinho.
But then Neymar can bounce back anytime soon...

Mexico/Switzerland are really really complicated to play, Mexico starts on fire and ends up on fire. Switzerland lacks self confidence in the first minute but adapt really well during the game and ends up winning points...

tiki_taka 6 years ago

On other notes, refreiing was disastrous, not all teams benefited from VAR almost Europeen teams and that was what I was afraid about. Yesterday Tunisia conceded a PK from Hazard outside the box, their captain asked for VAR and got denied the use. Moroccan coach felt disgraced too because there was a foul on the winning corner vs Portugal plus 2 PKs denied for Morocco handball and a push on their forward, Var got denied to them... the use of this technology has been unfair till now. Serbia can also feel robbed vs Switzerland for sandwiching Mitrovic in the box deniying him a clear chance of scoring.

Argentina, oh well biggest upset of the competition, playing with players with less than 5 caps, vs Croatia everything done was horrendous. Got Messi upfront with Aguero while playing 2 cdm and no creative mid to find spaces. Then making horrendous substitutions like subbing Aguero and letting awful Acûna on the pitch... Messi atitude was also questionable, never looked trying to start a rebellion on the pitch or outside.
Sampaoli lost his dressing room, Aguero while asked post match about Sampaoli analysis he said he can say what he wants, and it clearly demonstrates the lack of collectiveness and the unhealthy athmosphere.
They concede cheap goals and then cannot start actions nor finishing them. Against Nigeria they won’t have any excuse, leaders should cancel Sampaoli and do what Zidane-Viera-Makelele did to Raymond Domenech in 2006 with same circonstances. Stop following him, put their team and play without a coach...

Marcus2011 6 years ago

I don’t understand why introduce VAR and not apply it on important calls. It just shows how fifa is corrupt to the bone. They are pissed to even use this technologies and still find ways to favor teams that they need to qualify.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Yeah, Var center is in Moscow, looks like a bunker of NASA, still don’t call all the fouls. The ref if asked for a challenge has the right to upset a team and deniying them the challenge... we get some seconds of confusion and at the end it’s up to ref to decide if he wants to be helped or not by VAR. This system will only advantage bigger nations over underdogs... which is the nightmare of neutrals...

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Issue is that when VAR detects something it's still up to the refs judgement wether to look at the replay or ignore it completely. That's the real issue. Refs have the ability to deny the chance at correcting a wrong. They have some seriously inflated egos to deny a tool that ultimately makes the game fair.

If anything this current format is more prone to curroption or questionable decisions. I hope they improve as this progresses.

Marcus2011 6 years ago

I didn’t know about this details. And here I was being happy about VAR finally being implemented. These cockroaches still manage to do it their way. Complete disgrace and I don’t understand how any self respecting football federation. Can tolerate this. They might favor big nation now but then might even decide the winner too. I honestly thought that this time it will be different World Cup And the most fairest one. What a shame.

And I honestly don’t understand why that dumb ass referee needs to run to see the replay. Give him google glasses or else let the fourth official decide. They did that with Zidane ( I know I am still not over it) and no one even cared one bit. Funny though how red afterwards was talking about how decision was on him and it was difficult. Lol bull sht

Amerr30 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

raimondo90: @Amer I'm talking about the most recent match. All you brought to talk about is how Messi should be blamed. Is that all you care for this cup?

Sorry for responding after 4-5 days but I have been sick this past week. Got some terrible flu/strep-throat / sinus infection.. or something with all three. I thought it'd go away but since it's not I am seeing a doc today at 1 pm. Anyway, onto your reply..

Have you seen the coverage following the game between Croatia and Argentina? There wasn't a football personality who did not comment on the Messi v Ronaldo debate, as it was one of the unexpected developments in this World Cup. Two best players of the last decade, yet one of them performs abysmally while the other carries a subpar team. Everyone commented and gave their thoughts on how it affected the ongoing debate for who the better player is.

I don't know what you're trying to do. (although I do have a couple of ideas.. )

The only times I point out something with these two players is when something happens that affects and modifies or kills a certain argument(s) of this decade old debate.

I suppose I should say I apologize for liking to express my opinions on current or new football events. That is why I am here.

I don't see the point in talking about what is generally accepted or seen. As it relates to the ARG losing 3-0, there's nothing I could possibly say that hasn't already been said. It wasn't really one of those.. hard faught, close encounters deserving a detailed analysis. So I gave an opinion on one of the sub-plots of the game (as well as this WC)..

If THAT bothers you, you should really ask yourself just why the hell are you part of this community..

• History

raimondo90: @Amer I'm talking about the most recent match. All you brought to talk about is how Messi should be blamed. Is that all you care for this cup?

Sorry for responding after 4-5 days but I have been sick this past week. Got some terrible flu/strep-throat / sinus infection.. or something with all three. I thought it'd go away but since it's not I am seeing a doc today at 1 pm. Anyway, onto your reply..

Have you seen the coverage following the game between Croatia and Argentina? There wasn't a football personality who did not comment on the Messi v Ronaldo debate, as it was one of the unexpected developments in this World Cup. Two best players of the last decade, yet one of them performs abysmally while the other carries a subpar team. Everyone commented and gave their thoughts on how it affected the ongoing debate for who the better player is.

I don't know what you're trying to do.

The only times I point out something with these two players is when something happens that affects and modifies or kills a certain argument(s) of this decade old debate.

I suppose I should say I apologize for liking to express my opinions on 'new global football events'.

If THAT bothers you, you are really in the wrong place, rai.

I suppose I should say I apologize for liking to express my opinions on current or new football events. That is why I am here.

If THAT bothers you, you should really ask yourself just why the hell you are part of this community..

If THAT bothers you, you should really ask yourself just why the hell are you part of this community..

I don't see the point in talking about what is generally accepted or seen. As it relates to the ARG losing 3-0, there's nothing I could possibly say that hasn't already been said. It wasn't really one of those.. hard faught, close encounters deserving a detailed analysis. So I gave an opinion on one of the sub-plots of the game (as well as this WC)..

Looks like Argentina has done just enough to go through, got lucky with Iceland getting beat by Croatia B..

All this to get beat by France in the next round..

In NGA - ARG, I didn't find them particularly better, a draw would've been a fairer result but that's football for you. I don't think they have either the unity, the game, or the mental strength to go beyond Round of 16, considering their opponents.

Another great game will be Uruguay v Portugal though..

This will be a great round of 16, I think.

There's another 'possible' match up with Groups F, and E. In Group E, Brazil is number one. Group F, Germany is holding the number 2 spot and I don't see them topping this group after losing to Mexico. Unless Brazil deliberately do enough only for the second spot..

Germany vs Brazil in round of 16? Fun.

It should actually be called the Round of Death! So many bigs will be going out.

• History

Looks like Argentina has done just enough to go through, got lucky with Iceland getting beat by Croatia B..

All this to get beat by France in the next round..

In NGA - ARG, I didn't find them particularly better, a draw would've been a fairer result but that's football for you. I don't think they have either the unity, the game, or the mental strength to go beyond Round of 16, considering their opponents.

Another great game will be Uruguay v Portugal though..

This will be a great round of 16, I think.

There's another 'possible' match up with Groups F, and E. In Group E, Brazil is number one. Group F, Germany is holding the number 2 spot and I don't see them topping this group after losing to Mexico.

Germany vs Brazil in round of 16? Fun.

It should actually be called the Round of Death! So many bigs will be going out.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Hope Portugal gets kicked hardly so you hide again in your cage for another decade...

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I like how tiki is all silent and after 1 game he trash talks everyone he sees, relax the WC just started, where were you when Ronaldo was Man of the match twice and scored already 4 goals? In a cage you say?

@Golazo: I love how he projects his reality on me. It's a terribly embarrassing logical fallacy..

I have also been away before and after victorious CL finals. Would that also mean that I was hiding in my cave during such a joyous time?

Get a grip, tiki. I wish you'd stop being such a predictable, repetitive joke of a football fan. You could offer real insight with your knowledge, instead you make yourself look and sound like a "little engine that could".

Golazo: I don't think Portugal will make it past quarters with the talent on that team.. CR is the only reason they might even get there, and it's really a testament to his unshakable, never-give-up, personal will and belief. He is literally the perfect competitor, if only he had a bit more natural talent. Everyone considers that a weak point for him, but I am simply astounded, more and more as years go by and him going from strength to strength against all odds, even nature and biology itself.

How can you insult and hope for such a person to fail, doing what is impossible, all in favor of a guy that was blessed with all the talent in the World, who was gifted instead of working and earning it?

I never really hoped or wished for Messi to fail like some people, the thing is, I just know that is what is going to happen, call it a hunch or an educated guess. Upbringing, the way he is treated at Barca, by the media.. He was carried by other forces when he achieved all that he did, and without Messis talent it would never happen.

But all that, recently, has started working against him. He got used to amazing talent around him, he got used to being worshipped. It basically has one of the horrible effects an addiction has on an addicts brain. Instead of developing mental tools and skills to overcome when faced with an adversity and difficulties life throws at everyone of us, others did that for him,

Now that the core of those people have hung up their boots.. Messi has become a shadow of himself of the recent past. Who knows, he might see his way through it, he has a couple of years of his prime left.

But I doubt it. He's set in his ways.

• History

@Golazo: I love how he projects his reality on me. It's a terribly embarrassing logical fallacy..

I have also been away before and after victorious CL finals. Would that also mean that I was hiding in my cave during such a joyous time?

Get a grip, tiki. I wish you'd stop being such a predictable, repetitive joke of a football fan. You could offer real insight with your knowledge, instead you make yourself look and sound like a "little engine that could".

Golazo: I don't think Portugal will make it past quarters with the talent on that team.. CR is the only reason they might even get there, and it's really a testament to his unshakable, never-give-up, personal will and belief. He is literally the perfect competitor, if only he had a bit more natural talent. Everyone considers that a weak point for him, but I am simply astounded, more and more as years go by and him going from strength to strength against all odds, even nature and biology itself.

How can you insult and hope for such a person to fail, doing what is impossible, all in favor of a guy that was blessed with all the talent in the World, who was gifted instead of working and earning it?

I never really hoped or wished for Messi to fail like some people, the thing is, I simply know that he will. Upbringing, the way he is treated at Barca, by the media.. He was carried by other forces when he achieved all that he did, and without Messis talent it would never happen.

But all that, recently, has started working against him. He got used to amazing talent around him, he got used to being worshipped. It almost had the effect an addiction would have on a brain. Instead of developing mental tools to overcome when faced with an adversity, others did that for him,

Now that those people are leaving or declining.. So is he.

I never really hoped or wished for Messi to fail like some people, the thing is, I simply know that he will. Upbringing, the way he is treated at Barca, by the media.. He was carried by other forces when he achieved all that he did, and without Messis talent it would never happen.

But all that, recently, has started working against him. He got used to amazing talent around him, he got used to being worshipped. It almost had the effect an addiction would have on a brain. Instead of developing mental tools to overcome when faced with an adversity, others did that for him,

Of course this is just conjecture.. coming from someone well versed in football and psychology.

I never really hoped or wished for Messi to fail like some people, the thing is, I just know that is what is going to happen, call it a hunch or an educated guess. Upbringing, the way he is treated at Barca, by the media.. He was carried by other forces when he achieved all that he did, and without Messis talent it would never happen.

Of course this is just conjecture.. coming from someone well versed in football and psychology.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

blablabla biology and odds blablabla

doesnt deserve an answer.

Oh i absolutely can, i just dont do it secretly like some bunch of hypcrits in here....

if it was another would have been straigt red...

Pupper 6 years ago
Juventus 0 214

Ronaldo was Man of the match twice

Ronaldo only had 1 good game against Spain. He was very poor against both Morocco and Iran.

Marcus2011 6 years ago

I am happy and at the same time annoyed for Mexicans. Happy because they might just too the group. Annoyed because Mexican national team and football is all they talk about on tv. Maybe it is time to concentrate on elections

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Son will have to do his military service in Korea now, Layun and Alvarez should be benched, Mexico owes Korea.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Maybe it is time to concentrate on elections

All candidates are horrible, this is the global problem now.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Hands down, best game ever!! Korea left this World Cup with dignity. This is something to be proud of.

Oh, and sorry Germans. Winning the World Cup comes at a price, I'd say haha

liomessi10 6 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Who else thinks mexico intentionally did that?!!!!

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

It's almost unreal how all the top teams are having a hard time. It's obviously much better for the viewers but god damn is it unexpected.

So much was said about how poor Argentina was yet, despite trouble, we managed to get through. Now waiting on Brazil and Colombia.