Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Barca's delicate ecosystem has made accommodating Neymar difficult
Dynastian98 10 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

When Barcelona were at their peak under Pep Guardiola, it seemed almost impossible for outsiders to be assimilated. A fascinating tension developed as Guardiola, who is as aware of the need to keep evolving as any manager probably ever has been, tried to introduce new elements—most notably Zlatan Ibrahimovic—and saw the delicate ecosystem he had developed reject them. If you weren’t of Barcelona, it seemed, you could never learn to be part of Barcelona.

Even the likes of David Villa and Cesc Fabregas, the latter, of course, having come through La Masia before developing at Arsenal, struggled to adapt. Alexis Sanchez, for all the quality he showed at Udinese, has never seemed entirely at home. In a sense, Barcelona's strength was their weakness: they learned to play in such a finely tuned, idiosyncratic way that opponents couldn't deal with them, but neither could they accommodate new
signings.

That was one of the reasons why the signing of Neymar last summer seemed so strange. After a humbling season in which Barcelona, despite winning the league, had been overwhelmed by Bayern Munich in the semi-final of the Champions League, they bought him almost as retail therapy, splashing £50m on one of the world's most glamorous players to essentially bolster their self-esteem—the need for which, perhaps, felt particularly acute as Real Madrid smashed transfer records to land Gareth Bale.

But Neymar is not a player naturally attuned to the Barcelona style, and his signing has destabilised the whole club.The murkiness surrounding his signing, which led to the resignationof Sandro Rosell as the club's president, has harmed Barcelona’s image, but Neymar’s arrival has also harmed Barcelona on the pitch.

Neymar is a hugely talented player with a rare spark of imagination, who does things that are different—things that make even the most jaded of observers sit up and take notice. When Santos won the CopaLibertadores in 2011, he even seemed to have developed a trademark goal, swooping in from the left shaping to curl the ball into the far post and then dragging the ball in at the near post. It suggested a player who thought about the game, who understood that once a goalkeeper had begun to shift his weight in anticipation of a shot to his left, he cannot then readjust, with his planted right leg effectively becoming a backboard for Neymar to bounce the ball in off.

But that doesn’t necessarily make him right for Barca. When he plays—and his price tag and status mean he plays most of the time—Barca’s pace drops. They were always going to struggle to maintain the intensity and discipline of their pressing after the departure of the obsessive Guardiola—something that has been particularly noticeable in Lionel Messi’s play—but Neymar exacerbates the issue.

Worse, if Fabregas plays—and, again, his status seems to mean he is favoured—it means Andres Iniesta operates wide on the left rather than in midfield. Iniesta, of course, is a majestic player, but he isn’t quick, and with his ability to conceptualise the angles of the game it always seems a waste if he is deployed too far forward. With Iniesta on one flank and Neymar on the other, Barca lack pace. Messi repeatedly drops deep, takes possession, shuffles forward, looks to slide in a through-ball as he once did for Samuel Eto’o or Villa and finds there is nobody making the run.

It’s no coincidence that the majority of the Argentinian’s best performances this season have come with either Pedro or Sanchez or both on the pitch. Without their pace, Barca can lack directness, which is always a danger for sides who prioritise possession as they do. More than that, the declining intensity of the press means Barca are less compact than they were, which in turn places pressure on their defence.

Barca’s great triumph under Guardiola was the strength of the system, but a reliance on it was also their long-term weakness. Adapting was always going to be problematic, but trying to accommodate Neymar has got the best out of neither the player nor the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2032523-barcelonas-delicate-ecosystem-has-made-accommodating-neymar-difficult

Article by: Jonathan Wilson

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

When Barcelona were at their peak under Pep Guardiola, it seemed almost impossible for outsiders to be assimilated. A fascinating tension developed as Guardiola, who is as aware of the need to keep evolving as any manager probably ever has been, tried to introduce new elements—most notably ZlatanIbrahimovic—and saw the delicate ecosystem he had developed reject them. If you weren’t of Barcelona, it seemed, you could never learn to be part of Barcelona.

Even the likes of David Villa and Cesc Fabregas, the latter, of course, having come through La Masia before developing at Arsenal, struggled to adapt. Alexis Sanchez, for all the quality he showed at Udinese, has never seemed entirely at home. In a sense, Barcelona's strength was their weakness: they learned to play in such a finely tuned, idiosyncratic way that opponents couldn't deal with them, but neither could they accommodate new
signings.

That was one of the reasons why the signing of Neymar last summer seemed so strange. After a humbling season in which Barcelona, despite winning the league, had been overwhelmed by Bayern Munich in the semi-final of the Champions League, they bought him almost as retail therapy, splashing £50m on one of the world's most glamorous players to essentially bolster their self-esteem—the need for which, perhaps, felt particularly acute as Real Madrid smashed transfer records to land Gareth Bale.

But Neymar is not a player naturally attuned to the Barcelona style, and his signing has destabilised the whole club.The murkiness surrounding his signing, which led to the resignationof Sandro Rosell as the club's president, has harmed Barcelona’s image, but Neymar’s arrival has also harmed Barcelona on the pitch.

Neymar is a hugely talented player with a rare spark of imagination, who does things that are different—things that make even the most jaded of observers sit up and take notice. When Santos won the CopaLibertadores in 2011, he even seemed to have developed a trademark goal, swooping in from the left shaping to curl the ball into the far post and then dragging the ball in at the near post. It suggested a player who thought about the game, who understood that once a goalkeeper had begun to shift his weight in anticipation of a shot to his left, he cannot then readjust, with his planted right leg effectively becoming a backboard for Neymar to bounce the ball in off.

But that doesn’t necessarily make him right for Barca. When he plays—and his price tag and status mean he plays most of the time—Barca’s pace drops. They were always going to struggle to maintain the intensity and discipline of their pressing after the departure of the obsessive Guardiola—something that has been particularly noticeable in Lionel Messi’s play—but Neymar exacerbates the issue.

Worse, if Fabregas plays—and, again, his status seems to mean he is favoured—it means Andres Iniesta operates wide on the left rather than in midfield. Iniesta, of course, is a majestic player, but he isn’t quick, and with his ability to conceptualise the angles of the game it always seems a waste if he is deployed too far forward. With Iniesta on one flank and Neymar on the other, Barca lack pace. Messi repeatedly drops deep, takes possession, shuffles forward, looks to slide in a through-ball as he once did for Samuel Eto’o or Villa and finds there is nobody making the run.

It’s no coincidence that the majority of the Argentinian’s best performances this season have come with either Pedro or Sanchez or both on the pitch. Without their pace, Barca can lack directness, which is always a danger for sides who prioritise possession as they do. More than that, the declining intensity of the press means Barca are less compact than they were, which in turn places pressure on their defence.

Barca’s great triumph under Guardiola was the strength of the system, but a reliance on it was also their long-term weakness. Adapting was always going to be problematic, but trying to accommodate Neymar has got the best out of neither the player nor the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2032523-barcelonas-delicate-ecosystem-has-made-accommodating-neymar-difficult

Article by: Jonathan Wilson

Comments
tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Thereare many reasons to Barças crisis, bashing only Neymar in his first season is not fair.
Dont forget that we lost everything yes, but in one week, we had a good season and the best start of season of our History but many internal issues and injuries and our main problem : The defense.
Neymar is very young and is a promising talent who can achieve great things in the future, he was Real Madrid priority until he chose Barça and he has already a big role in his national team, the internal issues and the actual form of the whole squad has affected his results, i think its too early to get to such a conclusions...
For the integration, Zlatan could have the same problem at Madrid with Ronaldo because they are not compatible to be teammates,you cant oblige Zlatan to play for Messi or the opposite, at PSG Cavani is having the same problem and seemsnot happy.
Sometimes when we were in trouble this year, we had an outstanding Valdes that made important saves that makes us less worried about our weak defense, we were able to beat Top teams with the same squad that is being criticized now.
The explanation imo would never be in tatic terms, sure playing with Fabregas-Xavi-Busquets in midle and Iniesta-Neymar-Messi in the attack is not my best composition, i would prefer the clasic Xavi-Busq-Iniesta with Messi-Alexis-Neymar/Pedro. We lost because we didnt even tried to fight, and for me its worse than just losing, the problem here is the atitude more than the defeat.
We didnt fight in all those defeats because mentally, the defensive weakness and Valdes injury made players less confident and less able to give a fight, for Neymar/Messi who dont seem tired like Iniesta who gave everything this season, maybe the world cup is more important now and they are already thinking of it...

Neymar did actually better than i was expecting, its not that easy to adapt to Barça squad due to all the technic and placement work.
He did better in CL than he did in la Liga, exactly like Bale btw, because its dificult to adapt to la liga directly, but his actual bad form is due to the bad for of all the squad.
We can add bad luck because each time, he as very close to score...

• History

Thereare many reasons to Barças crisis, bashing only Neymar in his first season is not fair.
Dont forget that we lost everything yes, but in one week, we had a good season and the best start of season of our History but many internal issues and injuries and our main problem : The defense.
Neymar is very young and is a promising talent who can achieve great things in the future, he was Real Madrid priority until he chose Barça and he has already a big role in his national team, the internal issues and the actual form of the whole squad has affected his results, i think its too early to get to such a conclusions...
For the integration, Zlatan could have the same problem at Madrid with Ronaldo because they are not compatible to be teammates,you cant oblige Zlatan to play for Messi or the opposite, at PSG Cavani is having the same problem and seemsnot happy.
Sometimes when we were in trouble this year, we had an outstanding Valdes that made important saves that makes us less worried about our weak defense, we were able to beat Top teams with the same squad that is being criticized now.
The explanation imo would never be in tatic terms, sure playing with Fabregas-Xavi-Busquets in midle and Iniesta-Neymar-Messi in the attack is not my best composition, i would prefer the clasic Xavi-Busq-Iniesta with Messi-Alexis-Neymar/Pedro.
We didnt fight in all those defeats because mentally, the defensive weakness and Valdes injury made players less confident and less able to give a fight, for Neymar/Messi who dont seem tired like Iniesta who gave everything this season, maybe the world cup is more important now and they are already thinking of it...

Neymar did actually better than i was expecting, its not that easy to adapt to Barça squad due to all the technic and placement work.
He did better in CL than he did in la Liga, exactly like Bale btw, because its dificult to adapt to la liga directly, but his actual bad form is due to the bad for of all the squad.
We can add bad luck because each time, he as very close to score...

Mastertice1 10 years ago
Barcelona, Brazil 1 79

true, but when I watch Barca. The only issue i have with Neymar is where Tata plays him. Why waste him on the right when he makes crazy runs that build up from the left. true he has to learn to play on both sides, but while still adapting he should be on the left especially for crucial games.

The real issues for Barca are

1. CB's
  2. Cesc Fabregas
  3. Dani Alves

Cesc and Xavi should not be on the field at the same time.
should be NEymar, Messi, Sanchez

Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets
and what ever we can come up with on the backline.
With that line up we get enough direct runs from Neymar and Sanchez, while allowing Messi to drop deep , and giving Neymar his favorite position on the left side, and allowing Iniesta and Xavi to dictate the mid and create chances.

With Fabregas and Xavi in the formation either too much possession occurs and/or there is no one up top to make killer runs. In addition if we only have Neymar to make runs, teams can plan against that and bottle up Barcelona in the midfield because no one will be worried about Iniesta, or Fabregas directional runs.

Neymar is not given chances because he gets bottled up. either wasted on the right, or as the only directional runner. We need two. If Fabregas is on the other side, or Iniesta then it just leads to more pressure in the midfield, we lose possesion in crucial areas and we give up easy goals on the counter.

The issue starts up top. It is not Neymar. Issue is Fabregas up top, or Iniesta. Fabregas should accept a role as a sub. He is killing our directional play, keeps us bottled up and the reason teams can just pressure us without worrying about the killer pass.

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

I agree with you, each time Fabregas-Xavi play together, we struggle. Fabregas is not compatible with Messi, i think his stats when Messi isnt playing are outstanding, either play him as false nine or bench him.

Neymar is the only one who scored against Atletico in Super Copa and CL, score an important goal in the first Clasico and has been decisive in the second even with his poor performence, anyway his price tag is a guarantee for him that he still has a chance. We cant do nothing about it.

Btw we have 15 days to sign players considering the ban will be effective 15 days after the transfer market start.
If we manage to work earlier on our targets, we could do everything in one week, i hope its true.

• History

I agree with you, each time Fabregas-Xavi play together, we struggle. Fabregas is not compatible with Messi, i think his stats when Messi isnt playing are outstanding, either play him as false nine or bench him.
I dont know if Xavi role would suit him, btw we have 15 days to sign players considering the ban will be effective 15 days after the transfer market start.

I dont know if Xavi role would suit him, btw we have 15 days to sign players considering the ban will be effective 15 days after the transfer market start.

If we manage to work earlier on our targets, we could do everything in one week, i hope its true.